Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does bougainvillea grow in Ireland? Or should I choose another climber?

Options
  • 27-05-2007 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have a very sunny (south-west facing) white-painted back wall, and I want to grow something over the back door and along. Ideally something sweet-smelling which would have a long flowering season and be nice and bright. I don't want to have to bring things indoors or under glass in winter or to use too many pesticides, so roses may be out. It'll probably be in a big container.

I was thinking of bougainvillea, but am unsure if Ireland is too far north for this. Does anyone have any experience? Is it easy enough to look after? If this won't work, what would you reccommend? Wisteria? Jasmine? Passionflowers?

All advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

It will not survive our winters as once the temps get anywhere near 0 °C bougainvillea is finished.
    Wisteria, summer summer Jasmine (Jasminum officinale), Passiflora, all are quite suitable for your sunny wall.
    I would probably save the winter jasmine (jasminum nudiflorum) for a dark wall as you will be limited in the climbers you can grow in such a situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Bougainvilleas are popular ornamental plants in most areas with warm climates, including India, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Australia, the Mediterranean region, the Caribbean, Mexico, South Africa, and the United States in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, and southern Texas.

Bit more info here ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainvillea

Have you considered Clematis Montana ...... this is it growing up through an old Cherry tree but it loves walls etc as well .....

dsc00004vx3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As the other posters have said, not Bougainvillea, its for conservatories.

Clematis montana is gorgeous but is finished by the end of May. The foliage is nice however so maybe you could grow a couple of summer flowering (large flowered) clematis through it. Its very vigorous (montana) so would need very sturdy support - maybe even an archway against the wall?. Put a paving stone or similar over the roots as clematis likes to have its roots cool and damp but likes the sun otherwise.

Passion flower is also good on a sunny wall, can be extremely vigorous. The flowers are interesting but not particularly showy or scented.

Wisteria is absolutely the best but you could have a long wait for it to start to flower, and it needs some training. Its a long term proposition.

Solanum Jasminium Album is a vigorous white flowering climber which needs support but produces brilliant white flowers all summer. The more usual version is Solanum crispum Glasnevin which has yellow and purpley blue flowers, which I don't like much as it reminds me of deadly nightshade, but if you like the blue and yellow, its a good plant.

I wouldn't recommend honeysuckle on a sunny wall, it prefers a bit of shade and it has a tendency to get greenfly.

Don't whatever you do get a Polygonum, spectacular white fronds of flowers but its not called mile-a-minute plant for nothing, in three or four years it could cover your entire house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'd love wisteria but know it might be a long wait! Do ye think it would work to grow it with a more fast-growing climber such as a summer flowering clematis (or even sweet peas or nasturtiums), which could then be removed in a few years once the wisteria has reached its flowering? Or would that look odd or damage the wisteria?

I love the scent of jasmine but want something with colourful flowers, as the wall's white.

And what do you think - trellis or vine eyes and wires?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would say wires every time, I really really don't think there is any point putting up trellis for vigorous plants, they will pull it down. And when it eventually and inevitably rots you have to fight with the entire plant to replace or remove it (voice of experience). Make a proper job of putting in eyes, you may have to replace the wire every few years but that won't be too difficult if you have the eyes in place.

Not sure about wisteria in a container, they become quite big - and it will eventually need pruning and control. No reason why you shouldn't grow clematis or nasturtiums/sweetpeas in the same area, though I would plant them a little way away from the wisteria to give all the roots a chance.

Would you think in terms of growing sweet peas in a trough on a regular basis to give you a scented bit of wall then you would have a greater choice with the climber - there really are not that many suitable scented climbers. Check out the blue Solanum, it might be the solution for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement