Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting grass seeds- is it too late.

Options
  • 27-05-2007 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

hi, just looking for some advice.
    we have systimatically killed off anything green over the last few months, and two weeks ago had farmer in and he rotavated 3/4 site and we have picked most of the stone. Yesterday we spread the fertilizer, and had farmer set the grass seed with a machine, its raining lovely at the moment much to everyone elses disgust but mine, and i have suddenly realised its the end of may.
    what if june is a scorcher, will my grass seed shrivel up and die next week once it stops raining, how long does grass seed need to establish before it can fend for itself and when do you have do the first mow. Or will current down pours of rain be enough.
    Also the rain started here yesterday evening so we didnt get a chance to finnish job off by rolling it so now i dont know when farmer can come back to roll, Will rolling in a few days destroy seeds or are they ok for a week or two.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hello bored and tired.
    Most of your questions are answered in this article....How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

irish gardener, thanks for that. loads of useful tips,
    however i dont envy cutting lawn with push mower for first 3 or 4 cuts, but i suppose at that stage it is just topping the grass leaves so it wont take too long?. With any luck i should see some grass in 3 weeks.

Advertisement