Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a society

Options
  • 27-05-2007 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

how does one go about doing this? i'd be very interested in setting up an art society (the drawing, not the learning) next year, but i'm not sure how to go about doing so. any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If there happens to be a defunct art society you're in luck because then all you have to do is act the societies officer (Richard Butler, office in student centre) can you ressurect it (though he might lay down a few conditions).

If not then you've to go before the recognition committee.
    You need a constitution and a committee.
    You get a start up grant but no basic grant (Im not sure if you can get special grants, I know that societies on probation can still get special grants).

The best thing to do is get a clear idea in your head as to what you want to do and apprach Richard Butler and he'll walk you through the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Getting a hold of Richard Butler can be a bit of a pain. It took us about 3 months of constant hounding/ leaving notes under his door to get the information we needed.

From what I remember from setting up Radsoc you need the following things:

- A petition with about 40/50 signatures
    - A constitution (there's a basic one up on www.ucdsu.net that you can alter to suit your society.
    - A business plan for your first year to show how you intend to make enough money to keep afloat.
    - You'll need a member of UCD staff to be your senior treasurer too so find someone (I'd say you'd have no problem with getting someone from the Art History Dept but it doesn't matter where they work)

You'll then be contacted about going before the recognition committee (they don't sit that often). That has about 12 members of staff on it (academics and Richard Butler), the UCDSU president and a committee member of a society. They discuss your society idea, go over the consitution etc and then you're called in and they can question you about your society.

You should then be sent a letter to say whether or not your society has been recognised (we never got this letter cue us not knowing until our Student Advisor happened to meet me and ask what was going on with RadSoc).

A word to the wise: Don't do a half arsed attempt at the constitution, business plan etc. think it out properly, get some help or advice from people because it was made abundantly clear to me when I applied for Radsoc recognition that you had one shot and if you didn't get recognition you couldn't reapply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

what was radsoc gonna be?

The full title is the UCD Radiography Society. RadSoc just sounds better.

Oh and we're still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

- You'll need a member of UCD staff to be your senior treasurer too so find someone (I'd say you'd have no problem with getting someone from the Art History Dept but it doesn't matter where they work)
    I don't think they have to be a staff member. Just have to have graduated for 2 years so a phD in their 3rd year will also do

• Advertisement

gubbie wrote:
    I don't think they have to be a staff member. Just have to have graduated for 2 years so a phD in their 3rd year will also do
    We had this discussion before, and I checked with the Societies officer to confirm, we're confusing the different rules for societies and sports clubs.

For societies your senior treasurer must be a current member of staff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

thanks guys. are the officers there over the summer?

Yeah Richard Butler is a full time member of staff. His email is richard.butler@ucd.ie

Good luck with it all. If you need any help feel free to throw me an old pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gregg

Hey popecatapetal, my name is Gregg O'Neill, and I'm the chair of the Societies Council (the umbrella body for socs in UCD).

You're in luck as there is an Art Society already, namely the Visual Arts Society, which is inactive at the moment. That means, as was mentioned above, you don't need to go through the hoops of preparing a long recognition application, (and there be some money left in the bank ;)).

The VAS used to be quite active a few years ago, running still life drawing classes, talks and workshops by artists, designers and such. It hasn't been around for the last two years or so.

What you need to do now is to contact Richard Butler, and set up a meeting with him. He'll want to know if you have an idea of the type of activities and stuff that you want run next year.

And once get the ok from him, you should be able to recruit members in Freshers' Week, apply for grants and run events like any other society.

Best of luck with it. If I can help you out with it in any way,drop me an email at ucdsocietiescouncil" @ "yahoo.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Damn you Gregg O'Neill. That's (pretty much) what I was going to say. Boo, grrr, hiss! :)

Best of luck popecatapetal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

We had this discussion before, and I checked with the Societies officer to confirm, we're confusing the different rules for societies and sports clubs.

For societies your senior treasurer must be a current member of staff
    Ha ha ya I keep forgetting! Exams pushed everything of the least importance out of my head. Note to self: Believe Kap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

i propose 2 new societies - grape soc (to do with wine) & antique soc

work away...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am thinking about setting up a kenpo karate club. Is the procedure different for sports clubs? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Sports clubs have a different umbrella organisation edit: which I know next to nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I know there is a user here who knows a good deal, and I think its cast iron but my memory is fuzzy atm.
    dajaffa certainly knows him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Gregg

You first of all need to contact Suzanne Bailey, the Sports Development Officer. She's primarily responsible in the Department of Sport for dealing with all club matters on a day-to-day basis. Her email is, funnily enough, suzanne.bailey@ucd.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

dajaffa certainly knows him.
    Really?

Anyway, Greg pretty much gave all the advice that's needed. The sports clubs are governed by the Athletic Union Council (AUC).
    The rules for setting up clubs aren't all that different from societies, but they are a bit more stringent.

Just contact Suzanne and she'll explain things better than anyone could.
    Her phone/email contacts are here.

Advertisement