Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Game server query

Options
  • 27-05-2007 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Okay.. so I'm trying to build a website at the moment and want to be able to display information from game servers (more specifically, Counter-Strike: Source), just the player names/stats to being with.

I have no idea where to start and have no clue how to connect to the server, I've not been learning php long... but have been picking things up fairly quickly so far.

I've looked around google to see if I can find any scripts that do this kind of thing but they all seem to be either built into another website or require PERL.

Running PHP5.2 and Apache2.2 incase that helps.

Any help on how to do this is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nax. wrote:
    Okay.. so I'm trying to build a website at the moment and want to be able to display information from game servers (more specifically, Counter-Strike: Source), just the player names/stats to being with.

I have no idea where to start and have no clue how to connect to the server, I've not been learning php long... but have been picking things up fairly quickly so far.

I've looked around google to see if I can find any scripts that do this kind of thing but they all seem to be either built into another website or require PERL.

Running PHP5.2 and Apache2.2 incase that helps.

Any help on how to do this is much appreciated.

Do tools like this not already exist ? IF so why not use it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nax.

I'm trying to learn how to code things myself really, I've tried looking through the existing ones but because they use different languages I don't quite get them.

Really it's less that I'm after a script than an explanation of how the various things that make it work... well, work. So that I can learn from the whole thing rather than just copy something else over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Each game server likely has its own way of storing the information in a way that can be used externally. I think you'll have to consult the developer site for the game(s) you want to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nax. wrote:
    I'm trying to learn how to code things myself really, I've tried looking through the existing ones but because they use different languages I don't quite get them.

Really it's less that I'm after a script than an explanation of how the various things that make it work... well, work. So that I can learn from the whole thing rather than just copy something else over.

No idea about the specific game server / service. But it wouldnt be anything more advanced then connecting to a database. You're just pulling information from a service running on a server. As someone else said check out the games website or do a google for GameName Server API you might find it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nax.

Okay cheers, I'll have a dig around and see what I can find :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Download Ethereal and analyse the packets that are being sent between your computer and the server while doing a query. Its not easy but it can be done. I did it with UT2004 and built a set of Java classes for querying server information.

Edit: After 10 seconds spent on google http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Server_Queries. FFS come on.:rolleyes:

Advertisement