Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK License

Options
  • 27-05-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Is there a way I can convert my Irish License into a UK license

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Are you living in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Nope,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you cant then, you need to be living in the uk to get one, you could get a european licence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

draffodx wrote:
    you could get a european licence
    :confused: No such thing (yet).

tech wrote:
    Nope,
    Then why on earth do you even think you'd be eligible for a UK (or for that matter any other country) driving licence then?

• Advertisement

Where can I get a European Drivers license?

tech wrote:
    Where can I get a European Drivers license?
    You can't .. there's no such thing. There are plans to replace the existing EU model licences with a EU wide licence, but that's a good few years off yet.

What's wrong .. penalty points stacking up, are they?

;) not really got 2 but If I could get a license it would put a stop to that :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Buy a snooper to warn you of speedtraps, or get one of the GPS systems with the fixed cameras places marked to pre warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

astraboy wrote:
    Buy a snooper to warn you of speedtraps, or get one of the GPS systems with the fixed cameras places marked to pre warn you.

Or don't speed... :D

• Advertisement

Alun wrote:
    You can't .. there's no such thing. There are plans to replace the existing EU model licences with a EU wide licence, but that's a good few years off yet.

They'll only have a similar format to each other; they'll still be national licences issued by national authorities.

There won't ever be a single E.U. licence issued by a single authority (unless the Eurocrats finally succeed in forcing everone into a Euro super-state.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

What a mongoloid solution to avoid penalty points. Why don't you just have your licence cancelled so they can't apply points to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

FX

FYI, I'd suggest reporting oversize sigs here, which is a quicker way of having them resolved.

The present rules are on that thread also, and will be reviewed after the vBulletin upgrade.

Cheers.

TommyK wrote:
    They'll only have a similar format to each other; they'll still be national licences issued by national authorities.
    They already do have 'similar' formats, that's what is meant by "EU model" licences, which have been around for ages.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/drivinglicence/principles/001_en.htm

In other words all the information is on them in the same order, the classes of licence are harmonized and the fields are all numbered, so it's not necessary for someone in authority to read the language of the country the licence was issued in to determine what field is which.

Despite this, they all look slightly different in many ways. The only real common denominator is the colour pink.
    There won't ever be a single E.U. licence issued by a single authority (unless the Eurocrats finally succeed in forcing everyone into a Euro super-state.)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6180617.stm

http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/200603/5b0530e0-6e7e-4ba5-84ef-149100f773bc.htm

Well, in effect, it will be a single EU licence, inasmuch as they will all look exactly the same, and there will be an EU wide database of driving licence numbers to prevent people accumulating multiple licences, and also, presumably, to facilitate points sharing amongst the EU countries. They won't be issued by a central authority, but by local governments, but they might as well be. In fact, bring it on, they couldn't be more inefficient than the shambles here.

Alun wrote:
    Well, in effect, it will be a single EU licence, inasmuch as they will all look exactly the same, and there will be an EU wide database of driving licence numbers to prevent people accumulating multiple licences, and also, presumably, to facilitate points sharing amongst the EU countries. They won't be issued by a central authority, but by local governments, but they might as well be. In fact, bring it on, they couldn't be more inefficient than the shambles here.

Looking alike doesn't make them a single E.U. licence. Most American licences (for example) look very alike but there is no one authority in the U.S. - each state issues their own. An E.U.-wide database is just that - a database. That Yanks have the same thing (National Driver Register) but that doesn;t mean there is a single American licence.

It looks like the European experience will mirror that of the U.S. - each state has its own driving laws and regulations and issues its own licences; the licences of all states are recognised in all other states; and it is the responsibility of the driver to make themelves aware of and to obey the laws in whatever state they are driving in.

Basilly, we just copy the Yanks and call it a triumpth of European integration. :D

Tommy.

TommyK wrote:
    Blah, blah, blah
    Please yourself. I was just pointing out what the EU had planned. If you have a particular desire to go off on an anti-EU rant, I'd suggest the Politics Forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

damn, i thought there was some sort of european licence already, my cousin said he got one when he moved up the north from the south and was having trouble driving northern reg cars with a southern licence, he must have been telling fibs

Alun wrote:
    Blah blah blah

Please yourself. I was just pointing out what the EU had planned. If you have a particular desire to go off on a pro-EU rant, I'd suggest the Politics Forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tech wrote:
    Is there a way I can convert my Irish License into a UK license

I dunno what the confusion is - you can surrender your Irish one and get a UK one for it. Naturally, this presumes you are resident in the UK. Just contact the DVLA........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement