Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein the key maker

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Most FG people are more than happy to sacrifice 5 more years in opposition than go into Government wioth Sinn Fein I would imagine. the difference between Fine Gael and others is that Fine Gael actually sticks to what it believes in, namely that there will be no circumstances under which Fine Gael will go in to power with Sinn Féin. FFs Mary Hanafin made rerference to the fact that one of the things that contributed to their sucess at the weekend was the fact that when undecideds weren't sure about FF, when they got the reassurance that FF would not go in with SF under any circumstances that they then felt ok about voting for FF. FG would be a spent force in Irish politics if they went into Government with Sinn Fein. We would get the same punishing that Labour got in 97 when they fought the election 5 years prior to that about getting rid of FF and then actually going in with them in the end. You will recall that Labour went from 33 to 21 seats as a result of their change in attitude on that issue.

People that vote FG have diametrically opposed views to those who vote for Sinn Féin on almost everything, and that is only the start of the problems with going into Government with Sinn Féin. There is the whole question about their past, about the fact that I saw recently on their Ógra website calling for the release of the other 'POWs', something Fine Gael opposes tooth and nail, I could nearly write a thesis on reasons for Fine Gael not to go in with Sinn Féin.
    If they were to go in, as I say there would be a new lease of life for the PDs(a considerable number of FG voters would probably go straight to them), a substantial increase in the support of Labour and the Greens, some might even shift to Fianna Fáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

bleg wrote:
    undemocratic in having a private terrorist army way or undemocratic in a kneecapping way?

Off yer high horses would ye.. every one of them, every last one of them except perhaps the Greens started out with an Army of some sort... FF were the old IRA, FG the Blue shirts, labour a slightly less paramiltary but none the less militant trade unionist movement... if we were to take that view we would all be up in the mountains taking pot shots at each other with Baretta's instead of sitting here in our comfy office chairs exchanging ideas.

Advertisement