Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved into a flat - Problems getting a phone line / Broadband

Options
  • 27-05-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I posted this in Consumer Issues and was told it was worth asking in Broadband as well.

I've just moved into a new flat (on Appian Way, Ranelagh) and i'm having no end of problems trying to get a phone line set-up.

The first thing i did was give Eircom a call so i could get an account set-up. I was told that the line wasn't controlled by them and they couldn't tell me who controlled it, not a great start.

Luckily i managed to get the previous tenants contact details and discovered the line was with Smart Telecom.

I give Smart a call and ask if I can create an account. They tell me that there is an account already active (the previous tenants, which he says he cancelled) and the only way for me to get an account is for the active account to be cancelled first (there's an outstanding balance, which the previous tenant said he's paid) and have the line transferred back to Eircom where i can then get a phone number etc.

Is there anything i can actually do to get a phone line? It seems crazy that they can't set-up an account for me until the previous account is cancelled. The way things are going i can see myself without a phone line (and broadband) for a long time while the previous tenant argues with Smart about getting the account closed.

The previous tenant also now lives in the US to make things more complicated.

Any help is much appreciated!

p.s. In the other thread it was mentioned i could get a new phone line installed, would this be possible (can I get a new line even though there's already an active one there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yes you can get a new line installed at the cost of EUR130 i believe, which will usually take up to a month to have setup.

Or you can get the previous tenant to transfer the smart account to you if the account is still active. If its not but still has unpaid amounts, then the problem is between smart and the previous tenant,

If the account is clear, and has been cancelled, the line would have been back to eircom by now, so something is outstanding there id say.

The most straightforward thing will probably be a new line, at least you know its new, and has no history.

Advertisement