Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting paid business income into a student account - problem for Revenue?

Options
  • 27-05-2007 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I currently get paid into my student account (I was a student two years ago and plan to do another university course this autumn if I get accepted, so I haven’t bothered letting the bank know about my change of status, as it’s not really worth the bother).

I receive my non-business income into another account, so I keep the personal and business sides separate. Will it pose a problem to the revenue that my clients have been transferring my payments into my student account and not a business account? Does the revenue actually need to see my bank statements at all? Is this something that only happens when one gets audited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

It wont matter what type of account it is, just keep all the paperwork for your accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

fintan wrote:
    It wont matter what type of account it is, just keep all the paperwork for your accountant.

Well, I'm also the accountant as well as the business owner. Is this a problem for Revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I have a teenlink account, im now 25 and only received papers from AIB asking me did i want to upgrade to a student plus account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The Revenue are not bothered if you keep it all legal and pay your taxes on time and in full (or 90% etc). The only people who will get the hump are the bank especially if you use the account for an overdraft. The bank will probably not even notice unless you alert them to the fact you are no longer a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

lola_run wrote:
    Well, I'm also the accountant as well as the business owner. Is this a problem for Revenue?

If you are qualified accountant you shouldn't be asking these questions :)

Im guessing you mean you will be doing your own vat returns etc and will then have an accountant do your end of year accounts?

Anyway, keep all your paperwork clearing showing what each lodgement and withdrawal is referring too.

I would also advise talking to an accountant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement