Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I hallucinating?

Options
  • 27-05-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=23958-qqqx=1.asp

Forming a governement with the PDs - hey the Greens, Fianna Gael and Labour got more votes than them! I had to laugh when I read this article!!

And the independents! LOL

The Irish political system is really weird. Surely if no one party gets a majority vote, then the parties with the two biggest votes should go into power together, no?
    After all they should respect what the people voted, in this case Fianna FAIL AND Fianna Gael.

Am I alone out there in thinking that the Irish political system is illogical?

It's so funny that Fianna Fail actually won. The power of the media, newspaper articles and television and radio debates favouring Labour and Fine Gael, not to mention the amount of media coverage given to the Greens.

I'm Irish myself, but I'm ashamaed that the Irish cannot do what they really believe... we just seem to complain and let ourselves be won over by smiling and charming personalities. Will we ever learn to vote for policies and not just people? Maybe one of the reasons they don't allow expats to vote is because we have a sense of objectivity about the country.

What Ireland needed was Labour and the Greens and we all know it.
    But it's too late now!

Here's to another five years of american style capitalist politics.

Okay... rant over! ;-)

Do I have any supporters? ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Agreed in full. I don't like FF, because of their shameful stupidity and incompetence. I don't like FG, Labour or any other party. I wanted change, before Bertie derails the whole country. My friend, the economy is set to collapse into itself before 6-8 months if the OECD and the media in general are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

People might have wanted change but when the other option wasn't to their liking they just stuck with what they knew best imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lola_run

fobster wrote:
    People might have wanted change but when the other option wasn't to their liking they just stuck with what they knew best imo.

Well, we'll never make progress in the areas we need to if no risks are taken.

The Greens were the most credible party in these elections. They understand the real issues and had the most sensible budget.

Please Irish people, protest against Bertie's wish to form alliance with PDs!!!!! The PDs are dead. What planet is this crook Bertie living on at all at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

lola_run wrote:

It is about as good as you are going to get.

If we had a UK style system FF would now have a huge majority of Dail seats. Remember Tony Blair's Labour won a significant majority in 2005 with only 36% of the popular vote across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Another anti-good government rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Yup, crooks are people who have been proved guilty of crime in a court of law.

lola_run wrote:
    http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=NEWS-qqqs=news-qqqid=23958-qqqx=1.asp

The Irish political system is really weird. Surely if no one party gets a majority vote, then the parties with the two biggest votes should go into power together, no?
    After all they should respect what the people voted, in this case Fianna FAIL AND Fianna Gael.

No no no. I can't even begin to explain why this doesn't happen.

Suffice it to say different policies, different support bases, different idiologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lola_run wrote:
    The Greens were the most credible party in these elections. They understand the real issues
    lmao!

Fearmongering with inaccurate anti-nuclear propaganda and hence intransigent policies. I say that as a physicist. If you're green, at least be pragmatic. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ronoc wrote:
    No no no. I can't even begin to explain why this doesn't happen.

Suffice it to say different policies, different support bases, different idiologies.

Different support bases, fair enough. But as for policies and ideologies FF and FG are about as close as two parties can get without merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Jackz wrote:

Spare us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I object to your comment "quackery like homeopathy"
    At a recent car crash I said "step back pls Im a herbalist"
    If it wasnt for my quick thinking and ...............

Seriously though - nature is where most cures are found and pharmaceutical companies are there for shareholders.

daveirl wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Jackz wrote:

He's a politican!!! Worst case scenario he ends up in a tribunal with no real consequences.

He took bribes from "friends". Sorry, sorry, loans :rolleyes:
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    lmao!

Fearmongering with inaccurate anti-nuclear propaganda and hence intransigent policies. I say that as a physicist. If you're green, at least be pragmatic. /rant

There are plenty of reasons not to go with Nuclear power besides safety anyway. Ireland shouldn't go nuclear IMO because the costs are too high especially when it comes to decommisioning the facilities which cost a fortune in the future when we have no idea what our economic situation will be like when it comes to that time.
    worded wrote:
    I object to your comment "quackery like homeopathy"
    At a recent car crash I said "step back pls Im a herbalist"
    If it wasnt for my quick thinking and ...............

Seriously though - nature is where most cures are found and pharmaceutical companies are there for shareholders.

Yeah right, water has memory even though all scientific studies shows it doesn't. At best its a great placebo IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Maybe one of the reasons they don't allow expats to vote is because we have a sense of objectivity about the country.

My family left Ireland in the late 80s after CJ had bankrupted the country. You think they'd let us vote? In me hole they would!

My family left Ireland in the late 80s after CJ had bankrupted the country. You think they'd let us vote? In me hole they would!

Hey Lennoschips,

well I think we need to put pressure on the government to allow expats vote.

There's no point us moaning without taking any action. I know they allow gardai and other civil servants living abroad to make a postal vote, but not us ordinary citizens. Why this divide? Surely, if we were born in Ireland we should be entitled to vote, no?

I want to do something about this but I'm not sure where to look..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

brim4brim wrote:
    There are plenty of reasons not to go with Nuclear power besides safety anyway. Ireland shouldn't go nuclear IMO because the costs are too high especially when it comes to decommisioning the facilities which cost a fortune in the future when we have no idea what our economic situation will be like when it comes to that time.
    That's 100% fair enough. If we don't go nuclear, let it be for economic reasons as opposed to misinformed hysteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

GTC wrote:
    My friend, the economy is set to collapse into itself before 6-8 months if the OECD and the media in general are correct.
    I don't think it will quite collapse into itself but I do think it requires a decent level of managment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

lola_run wrote:
    Hey Lennoschips,

There's no point us moaning without taking any action. I know they allow gardai and other civil servants living abroad to make a postal vote, but not us ordinary citizens. Why this divide? Surely, if we were born in Ireland we should be entitled to vote, no?

My wife is Belgian and is living here and paying taxes for 10 years yet she can't vote. I lived abroad for 5 years. I'm sorry but I don't think expats should be allowed to vote as they don't have to live with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

lola_run wrote:
    Hey Lennoschips,

tried writing to my nearest Labour TD (Kathleen Lynch) but got no response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

John R wrote:
    It is about as good as you are going to get.

If we had a UK style system FF would now have a huge majority of Dail seats. Remember Tony Blair's Labour won a significant majority in 2005 with only 36% of the popular vote across the country.
    Actually they wouldnt because popular candidates that manage their votes so their lesser known running mates get elected on surplus wouldnt be able to do that, for instance Cyprian Brady in Dublin Central who is Bertie Aherns running mate got only 900 votes while Bertie got about 12,000, theres about 90,000 in that constituency so that means 89,000 people didnt vote for Cyprian yet he was still elected but in a "first past past the post system" thats a loss by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

lola_run wrote:

No, do you want a democracy or a dictatorship because if that ever happened we would have no opposition in parliament or in an election. Also if Fianna Fáil only need 6 more votes to elect Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach and form a government why would they go in with a party with over 50 seats and have to give away half their ministries when they can get away with 2 or 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Ruen wrote:
    No, do you want a democracy or a dictatorship because if that ever happened we would have no opposition in parliament or in an election. Also if Fianna Fáil only need 6 more votes to elect Bertie Ahern as Taoiseach and form a government why would they go in with a party with over 50 seats and have to give away half their ministries when they can get away with 2 or 3?

. . here here !

Strong opposition is nearly as important as strong government and a FF/FG coalition would be practically unopposed in Dail Eireann . . they could pretty much do whatever they wanted.

On the substantive point, in principle I don't see what the problem is with FF/PD/Ind (It worked pretty well between 97 and 02), plus I would like to see Harney return to health and finish what she has started. However, I'm not sure that the numbers stack up. FF will need three independents. Given their choice, they would bring in Healy-Ray, Flynn and McGrath but Flynn has a bankruptcy hearing on the 11th of June and if found bankrupt she will loose her seat. This means that they will need the support of either Michael Lowry (ex-FG) or Tony Gregory. I don't see either of these options as part of a 'stable' coalition. . . I think the most likely outcome is FF / Green with Trevor Sargeant as our new Tanaiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

. . here here !

Strong opposition is nearly as important as strong government and a FF/FG coalition would be practically unopposed in Dail Eireann . . they could pretty much do whatever they wanted.

On the substantive point, in principle I don't see what the problem is with FF/PD/Ind (It worked pretty well between 97 and 02), plus I would like to see Harney return to health and finish what she has started. However, I'm not sure that the numbers stack up. FF will need three independents. Given their choice, they would bring in Healy-Ray, Flynn and McGrath but Flynn has a bankruptcy hearing on the 11th of June and if found bankrupt she will loose her seat. This means that they will need the support of either Michael Lowry (ex-FG) or Tony Gregory. I don't see either of these options as part of a 'stable' coalition. . . I think the most likely outcome is FF / Green with Trevor Sargeant as our new Tanaiste.

I hope very much that Harney does not get back into goverment. She has managed to force BUPA out of the health insurance market. Quinn healthcare is there for the minute but if the courts go against them they will pull out also.

I deplore the idea of private hospitals been bulit on public land. That land should be used to expand the public hospitals as we all know we need more beds in our public hospitals and if there is no land to bulid them on next to an existing public hospital then it will end up costing the tax payer and patients alike.

The public have spoken and they said in big numbers they dont like the PD's.

jjbrien wrote:
    The public have spoken and they said in big numbers they dont like the PD's.

The public have also returned the outgoing Minister for Health in an election where health was made THE biggest issue by all of the opposition parties. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The public have also returned the outgoing Minister for Health in an election where health was made THE biggest issue by all of the opposition parties. .

Her party was not returned that is what has happened. Their policies were rejected by the people of Ireland. They lost 6 of thier seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

My wife is Belgian and is living here and paying taxes for 10 years yet she can't vote.
    Yes, she can vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

We're in for another 5 years of corruption and poorly spent public funds. Thank you to everybody who voted FF, you're obviously blind, largely ignorant and are unaffected by all the crap these guys have done in the last 10 years. Its an absolute disgrace that this pack of thieving, two faced and corrupt liars have got back into power.

Ah well, you voted them back in. I look forward to hearing you whinge 6 months down the line....

professore wrote:
    My wife is Belgian and is living here and paying taxes for 10 years yet she can't vote. I lived abroad for 5 years. I'm sorry but I don't think expats should be allowed to vote as they don't have to live with the consequences.

Well, I think that anyone who works in the country and pays taxes should be entitled to vote after 5 years. As for Irish people living abroad, well most of us will always be Irish citizens and are free to return any year we want, so in fact we do have to live with the consequences. And what about cross-border workers? For example, some of us live in Ireland one half of the year and in another EU country the other half and actually pay taxes and social security contributions in Ireland. So, why should we be excluded from having the right to a postal vote? Perhaps if more of us European/international workers had a say - after all we can objectively compare life in Ireland with that in other European countries - the results may be different.

I recently told a friend of mine who works in the EU about how only certain members of Irish society abroad were entitled to a postal vote. She was shocked and said I should do something about it... But I'm not sure where to start... which Ministry to contact...

• Advertisement

jjbrien wrote:
    Her party was not returned that is what has happened. Their policies were rejected by the people of Ireland. They lost 6 of thier seats.

We don't yet know the make up of the new government but I think you'll find that her party are returned, albeit in a reduced form.

It's hard to argue that their policies were rejected when for the last 10 yrs FF/PD coalition has been following a joint program for government and FF remains in a position of strength. If anything, the PD's lost this election on the likeability factor . . nobody likes McDowell and they suffered as a result. I'm sure if Harney had entered the campaign as PD leader the party would have polled significantly better.

Advertisement