Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths problem, series & series

Options
  • 27-05-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Probably isn't thread worthy but anyway:

I'm stuck on this question and would be grateful for an explanation of the solution..

Consise maths 5 the blue book , page 228 chapter 7.9 question 17.

The first part is fine.
    Second part

Evaluate : 1 + (1+2)+(1+2+3)+...+(1+2+3+...+20)

It's like the Sn of 20 Sn's.. I get the wrong answer and confused everytime i try it. I 'm guessing there's some reasonably quick way of doin this and not adding up the 20 Sns.

answer = 1540...
    I just need to know how.!!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Choco

You know, I can't work out a fancy way to do this at all. Obviously there should be a 'quick' formula-utilising way to do this, but seemingly, a bit of calculator work is the only way I can think of.

So just put this (because there are 20 1s and 19 2s etc)...
    (1x20)+(2x19)+(3x18)+(4x17)+...+(19x2)+(20x1)

...in to your calculator, and after the brain-numbing task of putting it in and pressing equal, you do get the answer of 1,540 in a completely non-mathematical way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

AH i see !! that's a relief i was all over the shop tryin the Sn of arithmetic series and so on formulas but that puts my mind at ease!!! Cheers!

If anyone found a different disgracefully hard way of doin this drop us a dingle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Every term is a sum of integers, ie:

Un = (n(n+1))/2 = (1/2)(n^2 + n)

Considering sigma n^2 = (n(n+1)(2n+1))/6

Sn = (1/2)(((n(n+1)(2n+1))/6 + (n(n+1))/2)
    S20 = (1/2)(((20(21)(41))/6 + (20(21))/2)
    = 1540

Advertisement