Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating websites

Options
  • 27-05-2007 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

I want to set up a small website for a supporters club but have no knowledge of how to go about it. I need some info on the following.

1. How do i go about getting the name of the website, do i need to register it and what cost is it?

2. I have no knowledge of programming language so templates or software such as frontpage would be more ideal. Which is the best and easiest to use?

3. How can i get an email address attached to the website?

4. What is my best option for hosting the website? Can i host it myself and if so, what is involved?

That should be enough to get me started. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

1. You need to register the domain name, yeah.
    If it's not already registered, you can register it yourself for a fee... unless you're looking to get a .ie domain, in which case you have to satisfy certain criteria (registered business name etc.) and pay more.
    Getting a .com/.net/.org is painless though... and costs about a tenner.

2. Best and easiest to use... eurghmm, I'm stumped... I'd say look at getting a CMS (content management system) set up on the site... it's basically all the backend structure already set up, which you can customize to your needs.

3. When you get hosting, it's simple enough to log into the hosting sites control panel with your username and password and set one up.
    It's trivial to do.

4. You could host it yourself (on your own PC), but it'd be a pain in the arse, and with the price of hosting these days; there's little if anything to be gained by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Alot of hosting packages have a website maker included. It's nothing fancy but it's simple to use and cheap.

If you buy a domain name & hosting, setting up email is simple and there are tutorials for using the website maker.

For example, Lets Host have site builder that is really easy to use. link

Dont expect the results to be anything amazing but it should do for a simple website and you can get exerything you need for about €115 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

You could learn basic HTML in a few days-
    just enough to put together a basic site. Just google for a tutorial.
    And if you were anyway experienced in programs like photoshop or Paint.net
    you could put together a few decent graphics for a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Most hosts offer a turn-key website building tool, where you can choose from a range of templates, pick a colour scheme, upload a logo and some photos, input some text, and, hey presto! you have a semi decent looking website ! :)

You'll need to buy a domain name and hosting plan, but that can be had from as little as 40-50 euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

I found learning html was simpler than a website constructor

It's conveniant to understand the the infrastructer of tthe pages when one wishes to modify them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement