Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare wireless modem

Options
  • 27-05-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭

I'll be ordering b/band tomorrow (moved house), and I have an old wireless modem. Given that I'll be getting another (free) modem is the old one of any practical use in my new set-up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You could have one upsairs and one downstairs to improve signal in those faraway places, although this probably won't be practical unless the couse is wired for CAT5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

You could have one upsairs and one downstairs to improve signal in those faraway places, although this probably won't be practical unless the couse is wired for CAT5/6

Not sure what you mean by cat 5/6? old house so i assume it's not, renting for a while before the big build.....cat 10 wiring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Phone wires are Cat3, PC ethernet wires are Cat5 or Cat6.
    The old modem maybe better or worse than the new one.

Only one can connect to the phone line of course. sean_keevey is talking about computer cable between the ethernet RJ45 ports (wider than phone sockets) so you can have WiFi in two different places (twice as easy for someone to leach :) you want to setup WPA security at least. )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Helpful as ever, thanks Watty.

Advertisement