Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name some good places to go for a night out please!!

Options
  • 27-05-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

My 5 friends and I are heading over to Galway this saturday for the bank holiday weekend, can you please recommend some good places to go in the city centre!! any good indie or rock places of interest, can i please know!! also we are stayin in the Victoria hotel, is it any good?? (ive heard a bad word said about it)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I've never been to the vic but it's supposed to be a great night, but i too know people who didnt like it, i suppose it's the kind of place where if you're not in the mood for what they're doing you're on your own.

For starters i'd say try the roisin dubh (Dominic St.) or if you're adventurous The Blue Note (A favourite of the galway boards members, and around the corner from the roisin dubh) it's not so much rock/indie but it's an experience. In terms of an actual night club there is only one decent option for ye, Cuba on eyre square, on one floor they play alt stuff, while in everyother club you'll have to listen to remixes of snow patrol songs etc....

Anybody care to fill the op on the vic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Upstairs in Cuba usually has a band on the weekends, mostly a young crowd. Probably your best bet for a club anyway. As far as bars go, Sally Longs or the Kings Head are a good choice. Although I don't go to Sally Longs ever so I can't tell you much.

The Vic has a club attached but its exclusively dance music. I think 110th street still play on a Saturday. They play stuff like 2ManyDJs and other indie stuff. Lots of dance music anyway. Also the crowd are not your shirt and shoes type.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

cheers thanks a lot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The Vic is crap, Kings head is a good spot,live music and open til 2-2:30.

Also Cuba is good for a club and so is Central Park ( CP ) thats if you like a crowd and believe me there is ALWAYS a crowd there!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What age are you ? that's the most important question

• Advertisement

What age are you ? that's the most important question
    oh, im 19! the lot of us are 18 and 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 triblex

maybe halo, and de burgos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

halo at 19? not a good idea really. Mentioning the Roisin Dubh too, good music and good friendly athmosphere. If anyone in your group are smokers both the Roisin and the Blue Note have good heated smoking rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

For pulling women stay east of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thats good advice :)

• Advertisement

avoid cps and halo. they're generic nightclub fodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Caliden wrote:
    halo at 19? not a good idea really. Mentioning the Roisin Dubh too, good music and good friendly athmosphere. If anyone in your group are smokers both the Roisin and the Blue Note have good heated smoking rooms.

Yeah the Roisin is great and the Front Door. Great craic. Caliden loves Karma for reasons only he knows....
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

At 19 i'd say Karma and Cuba.
    Roisins if you like live music and Living room too as a late bar..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

JIZZLORD wrote:
    avoid cps and halo. they're generic nightclub fodder

Yet there's 2000+ people in them each friday and saturday........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Anima wrote:
    The Vic has a club attached but its exclusively dance music. I think 110th street still play on a Saturday. They play stuff like 2ManyDJs and other indie stuff. Lots of dance music anyway. Also the crowd are not your shirt and shoes type.
    110th street finished at the Vic a couple of months ago... not too sure what's going on there these days.

Roisin Dubh sounds like the best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭seand333

agree with some of the above, if you're into indie and rock, you can't go wrong with: roisin dubh, sally longs, de burgos, cuba nightclub upstairs.
    Haven't been at the vic in ages, it used to be crap from what i remember.

damalo wrote:
    Yet there's 2000+ people in them each friday and saturday........

that doesnt make either worth visiting. i'm not saying you cant have a good time in either, but there's nothing special that you wouldnt find anywhere else in the country.

JIZZLORD wrote:
    that doesnt make either worth visiting. i'm not saying you cant have a good time in either, but there's nothing special that you wouldnt find anywhere else in the country.

Correct - if you had said "in my opinion" it would be a whole different story though. I cant see why 2000 people would go to a "fodder" producing club each week. So something must be good about this "fodder" or else its not fodder at all.

you clearly must go there!!!

Legend20 wrote:
    you clearly must go there!!!

I do the odd time ;) But Roisin and all them other places mentioned are also A1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

What tunes are ye into?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I went to CPs for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago, Jesus, never again.

The Quays can be fun

im into more or less anything alternative!! favourite bands are Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Smiths......etc ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell ye what, Cuba has a bit more rock upstairs unless it has changed in the last year and also Bar 903 next door can be good like that. Mind the disco level is purely R&B and list crap.

Advertisement