Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry-Frost-Opening Paragraph for "Do you like his Poetry-need ans to a Q aswell

Options
  • 27-05-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Just if anyone was stuck and needed it or anything
    INTRO
    I like Robert Frost’s poetry because it is so readable and accessible. I like the way he uses language that is close to everyday speech and imagery drawn from the natural world to describe ordinary people leading ordinary lives . While his verse is vividly descriptive, it invariably moves beyond more description, exploring important moral and philosophical issues. Frost reflects on isolation, loneliness, transience and death, as well as on such issues as the nature and consequences of choice. He uses imagery and symbolism to create layers or levels of meaning within his poems. I also appreciate the intense realism of Frost’s verse-he appreciates the beauty of the world around him, but is keenly aware of its harshness.

Ok ive gotten this intro of my teacher now im just wondering do i take each of the poems ive studied and do them 1 by 1 describing theme,tone,technique etc.. or theme by theme and say which poem there present in or a different way?...

Oh the ones ive studied are "Tuft.." "M.Wall" "The Road.." "Design" and "Provide,Provide

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Soby wrote:
    Ok ive gotten this intro of my teacher now im just wondering do i take each of the poems ive studied and do them 1 by 1 describing theme,tone,technique etc.. or theme by theme and say which poem there present in or a different way?...

I haven't studied Frost but we were always told to take poem by poem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 looloo27

Im pretty sure that the essays are meant to be structured theme by theme. Three english teachers have told me never to do poem by poem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

ye theme by theme seems easiest based on my notes.have a clue how to structure it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've always gone poem by poem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just one small thing about that introduction, for each of the points made in it you should reference a particular poem. For example "Frost reflects on isolation (such as in Acquainted With the Night), loneliness, transience and death (as seen in Out, Out-), as well as on such issues as the nature and consequences of choice (which we see in Design)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I don't think it really matters so much whether you deal poem by poem or theme by theme, the important thing is to draw comparisons between the poems and concentrate on the question asked (i.e., mention the poet's attributes displayed by the poem, or why the poet would be a good speaker in your school etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I always deal with it aspect by aspect using one poem to illustrate why i like this aspect of his poetry. Then at the end i throw out a short summary of other poems which i like because of this paticular aspect. So you might say that you like mending wall becuase of its underlying philospophical depth and then show this then maybe say Tuft of flowers shows this as well .

Unless its your favourite poems then youre referring to aspects not individual poems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 looloo27

. you should definitely cover aspect by aspect, choosing 2 or 3 poems for each paragraph that deals with the theme. if you happen to have one aspect that is foung in one poem thats fine as long as you have covered it theme by theme not poem by poem. What poets doya reckon will come up dis year. I'm not gonna get 2 worried bout frost. im doin bishop, plath, kavanagh & Montague. Yeats if I have more time

Advertisement