Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Irish translation please!!

Options
  • 27-05-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Doing an essay on Fadhb Na Bochtaineachta at the moment, can somebody translate this for me?? I know what the rest of the sentence means, I just can't figure out where the ceal fits in and I can't find a proper definition for the word...
    Bíonn duine bocht nuair nach mbíonn ar a chumas saol sona, sásta a chaitheamh ceal airgid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ceal? Never heard that word used like that before.....

"ar ceal" means cancelled or postponed....

Where'd you get the sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

This is my guess. I'm not great at irish though:

It basically means your health is your wealth but the actual translation is:

people are poor when they are not happy in life without money/wealth.

Thats the best I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Yup, I kind of figured it meant that too, because that's the only thing I thought made sense: As in people are poor when they are not able to have a happy life.... without/because of.... money?
    I got it from an article from Foinse. My teacher gave it to me.

Try asking here: http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/

There're a load of people there who speak different dialects.

"ceal" could mean "gan"("without") here. But "People are poor when they are not able to live a happy life without money" seems odd. Logically it should mean "due to lack of"("mar gheall ar easpa")...

Go raibh míle maith agaibh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Perhaps it's referring to people's dependence on money to be happy?

Could be, but I presumed the article was about conventional poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I can only really figure it out as, "People can be poor in the lack of happiness as well as lack of money", don't get the "ceal" bit though.

The article is about poverty in general. I wrote mar gheall ar easpa instead; I'll try to find out from my teacher tomorrow what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

I've seen ceal used this way a couple of times. The closest english phrase i can think of is "for want of". i.e., "níor éirigh liom mórán staidéir a dhéanamh ceal ama" so in this case, the translation is:

A person is poor when they are unable to lead a contented and happy life for want of money.

It's just a definition of poverty, it points out that a person is poor when they are inhibited by their lack of money. Any definition of poverty is going to mention a lack of money but you still have to put it in really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

It means A person is poor when they dont have a happy life because of a lack of money (which is what other peole said)!

Advertisement