Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverley Cooper Flynn

Options
  • 27-05-2007 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Could she be the shortest serving TD ever ??

I see in todays papers that RTE lawyers filed a petition last thursday (election day...how ironic) to have Bev declared bankrupt as she still hasn't paid any of the award granted against her (2.84mill including interest), and the case is due to be heard on 11th June.

So assuming she's declared bankrupt then there'll have to be a by-election won't there and that could play havoc with Bertie's making up the numbers !

Of course, Bertie might be able to put her in touch with some mutual friends who coyuld give her a "dig out" to pay RTE off :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Saw that allright.
    €2.84 million,thats not pocket change .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If she backs FF for Government I'm sure of FF's close friends could give her a loan, Paddy the plasterer etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

will be interesting to see what happens, sounds like negotiations have gone on for a long long time with no reasonable offer coming from her to settle. possibly they held off with the action until election day so no chance of accusations of interfering with her chances.

she says she doesn't have the cash to pay so should be declared bankrupt and her assets used to fund payment of the max amount possible. She'll lose here seat and there would have to be a by election, which you would have to guess would go FFs way. During the gap though it messes up their numbers as they would need finian mcgrath or lowry.

They know this is a risk of course and will be looking to make a deal with all the independents anyway to cover any one of them pulling out for any reason..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah she's in trouble alright. Hopefully Fianna Fáil could get an second seat in the case of a by-election though it's a long shot. There's still Gregory, McGrath, Healy-Rae along with Harney and Grealish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

daveirl wrote:

Don't count on it. The majority of Mayo TDs are now FG. A lot of Mayo people voted FG in the hope of seeing a Mayo Taoiseach. They might welcome a 2nd bite at the cherry . . .

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah she's in trouble alright. Hopefully Fianna Fáil could get an second seat in the case of a by-election though it's a long shot. There's still Gregory, McGrath, Healy-Rae along with Harney and Grealish.

I don't think Bertie would like that though, and wouldn't he need an independent to go for cean comhairle (sp?) too to get the numbers?
    He needs 84 otherwise.
    Lowry?? sweet jebus!

with gregory or mcgrath knowing they were the only thing keeping the government going it would be far from stable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

I thought that Cooper-Flynn had shacked up some rich property developer (it wasn't for his looks i can tell ye)

He'll bail her out id say if needs be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

I will tell you guys one thing...Mayo needs her to go into coallition with Bertie or we are ****ed with only one TD with a connection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If she is declared bankrupt on June 11 she will not be allowed to sit at all in the 30th Dáil. Should be interesting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

God Damn those RTE people...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

daveirl wrote:

FG got 54% of the vote in Mayo and for a long time on Thursday, it looked like Michelle Mulherin could possibly have taken the seat from Flynn on transfers.

I wouldn't be so sure at all if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Aye, Mayo is FG's strongest constituency by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I will tell you guys one thing...Mayo needs her to go into coallition with Bertie or we are ****ed with only one TD with a connection...

Why? Do you see your TD's as some form of jumped up councillor. This is precisely the problem with Irish Politics at the moment. TD's are there to legislate for national policies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

gandalf wrote:
    Why? Do you see your TD's as some form of jumped up councillor. This is precisely the problem with Irish Politics at the moment. TD's are there to legislate for national policies :rolleyes:
    As the saying goes, all politics is local. It's human nature to make the current system work to your own benefit. Clientelism is the name of the game.

homah_7ft wrote:
    As the saying goes, all politics is local. It's human nature to make the current system work to your own benefit. Clientelism is the name of the game.

Then we might as well disband all CC's and let the cronyism fly.

Sometimes I dispair at the disguising greed and "me feinery" in this country.

It's the current system though. You shouldn't criticise people for trying to use it to their advantage. I'm guessing you would be for changing to a German type system.

God Damn those RTE people...
    ?

How so?

Surely god damn beverly for selling illegal accounts and then
    when caught, bringing a court case that she could never prove and then
    refusing to pay up.

If anything what RTÉ have done wrong is give her so long to make some kind of effort to pay, it's our money that was spent defending her action..

No I want the members of the National Assembly to legislate for National Issues and leave the changing room for the local GAA team or bollards in the housing estate to the councillors. Then again if the "majority" don't see anything wrong with this then who am I to complain.

Yep. I agree with you. It should be the way. What is the current record for the shortest serving TD?

• Advertisement

I also expect standards in public life, something again that the "majority" don't seem to want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Just think if we had proper ethics in place someone like BCF would not have been allowed run in the first place and this potential timebomb for the proposed new Coalition wouldn't exist.

FG will more than likely win any by-election and Taoiseach Biffo will have a dilemma then.

It will be sweetly ironic eh ;)

gandalf wrote:
    I also expect standards in public life, something again that the "majority" don't seem to want.

careful gandy, you are starting to sound like michael McD with sour grapes in his mouth!:D

copacetic wrote:
    careful gandy, you are starting to sound like michael McD with sour grapes in his mouth!:D

Naw just stating a fact. Remember the next election campaign has already started.

gandalf wrote:
    Naw just stating a fact. Remember the next election campaign has already started.

i can just picture michael muttering the same things to himself as he knocks back a nice glass of wine with his sunday dinner though!

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

gandalf wrote:
    Yea, but you could almost call it a fact that there's a bit of a corrupt mentality in us all, that's why we forgive others for it.

cast_iron wrote:
    Yea, but you could almost call it a fact that there's a bit of a corrupt mentality in us all, that's why we forgive others for it.

You may have that character flaw I and alot of other people don't.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Who?

McDowell..

Advertisement