Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverley Cooper Flynn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gandalf wrote:
    Proves the double standards that Ahern operates under.

2 points, first is FF should never have allowed McDaid to run and secondally the people of Donegal should hang their heads in shame voting in a convicted drunk driver, the same the people of Tipperary should hang their heads in shame voting in Michael Lowry and the people of Mayo for voting in BCF.

Ah Gandalf less of the insulting the people of Mayo.
    Don't care about the other counties to be honest.
    Not all the people of MAyo voted in BCF. Actually look we voted in one Real FF and three FG. Probably most progressive constituency.
    It had nothing to do with fact that wee could have had Taoiseach and Tanaiste
    Yes a percentage of eejits around Castlebar feel allegiance to the Flynn name due to how well the town did out of the reign of daddy Flynn.

Anyway you are flogging a dead horse around here. People do not care about ethics in tehri leaders, they just care what they get out of it themselves. Then others still think the Brits are still ruling us so screw the system is ok.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

gandalf wrote:
    I find it worrying that a TD can be defrocked so to speak for being bankrupt rather than one that drunk drove the wrong way along a dual carriageway!!

See, the thing is, despite the number of people that die as a direct result of it anually in Donegal, drink driving is not seen as a bad thing there, a little drink driving's actually perfectly fine, so McDaid was happily re-elected.

Last election was much closer-run for him, as he made some McDowell-like comments about suicide (I actually agreed with what he said, but it wasn't very PC) and its considered likely that those comments cost him his ministerial post.

I'm glad Bev is getting her come-uppance for her crooked ways, I'm amazed how people happily re-elect the status quo no matter how corrupt they are. Lowry, Flynn, allegedly even Bertie, as the other thread said, we heart corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any news on how the high court case went? Has she been bankrupted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Bond-007 wrote:
    Any news on how the high court case went? Has she been bankrupted?

Somebody mentioned in another thread that the case was put back by a week to the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

McSandwich wrote:
    If I purchased €10,000 of computer software and equipment which did not suit it's purpose and did not come with a warranty or service contract, I'd be fired.

If I was a public servant and did something similiar, I'd be asked to resign.
    You clearly do no not work in the public service :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Somebody mentioned in another thread that the case was put back by a week to the 18th.

THAT'S convenient for Bertie........ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

bk wrote:
    Actually by my reckoning:
    FF+PD = 44.3%
    FG+Labour+Greens= 42.1%
    the Greens didn't present themselves as being in a block with FG and Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

irish people by and large are not bothered by corruption be it in high places or otherwise , this goes double for fianna fail voters so beverly flynn will be given whatever she wants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

According to RTE, BCF may be back in FF fairly soon. :eek:

Sure why not invite Lowry in while there at it...and Liam Lawlor's ghost. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Even worse than letting her back in, the article on the RTE website also says:
    Speaking on RTÉ Radio's News At One, Mr Ahern said she could not expect to be given a junior ministerial position at this stage but can have a realistic expectation of holding office at some stage during the lifetime of the administration.

It's nothing short of an outrage that someone as crooked as her could be considered for a goernment post. Apparently the latest is that she's bringing an action to contest the constitutionality of barring bankrupts from being members of the Dáil. No doubt this will stall the bankruptcy hearing next week.

• Advertisement

Giving her enough time to raise the cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jeeze that picture make me think of Padraig in drag.
    Sends shivers down the spine.

And she will get away her little legal bill, RTE will back down and she will not be declared bankrupt, thus holding her seat.
    Deal has been done.
    She will rejoin FF down the road and be rehabiliated.
    FF HQ will want a minister of some kind based in Mayo before next election.
    Is there any minister from the west at the moment?
    Ooops forgot about O'Cuiv...must be his high profile post :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

copacetic wrote:
    If anything what RTÉ have done wrong is give her so long to make some kind of effort to pay, it's our money that was spent defending her action..
    Exactly, and also our money paying her salary plus expenses as a TD.

As I said before in a seperate thread, this Dail is a walking timebomb and I give it at most 18 months.

Also, watch out for a sweet-heart deal between the government and RTE regarding a substantial increase in the licence fee in the next year. I suspect things have already been discussed behind the scenes given RTE's almost sychophantic interviewing of Bertie and the other FF'ers in the last three days.

Bertie being Bertie will have a B-list of Indos ready to step in if things go awry with BCF. My first bet with be JHR, the living embodiment of the Parish-Pump politician from his recent boasting about how all the pot-holes in Kerry would be filled.

Bananna Republic anyone?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Exactly, and also our money paying her salary plus expenses as a TD.

I may have been unfair, I see from reports that the interest has been accumulating sharply so in the end the delays are all costing her more money, not the taxpayer.( assuming she ends up paying it).

by the sounds of it she is going to try and take the bankruptcy, and contest whether that means she has to lose her seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well, she's probably a very good worker and does her best for clients/ constituents (i.e. what she's in hot water over was essentially trying to sve the clients a few quid - albeit wrong and illegal)

I've never met her, and won't judge until I do, as I always though Micheál Martin was a nice guy til I met him!!

Edit: what I actually hit reply to say was - It's amazing that someone on a TD's salary is looking at bankruptcy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ninty9er wrote:
    Well, she's probably a very good worker and does her best for clients/ constituents (i.e. what she's in hot water over was essentially trying to sve the clients a few quid - albeit wrong and illegal)

So what are you saying, ninty ? Are you condoning a public representative doing illegal things because it's good for clients/constituents ?

And, having done those, do you really think it right that she be allowed to be in a position of power ?

I would've thought FF had enough dodgy dealers in their ranks without bringing back one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ninty9er wrote:

I've never met her, and won't judge until I do, as I always though Micheál Martin was a nice guy til I met him!!

Edit: what I actually hit reply to say was - It's amazing that someone on a TD's salary is looking at bankruptcy!!

Exactly. That is not really a standard we expect from public representatives. Of more concern is the shamelessness that all concerned are showing in relation to the matter. Even Ms Flynn seems intent on undermining the Election Act for purely selfish reasons.

ninty9er wrote:
    My jaw literally fell open when I read that.

Are you mental? Seriously? What you call 'saving the clients a few quid' I'd call serious Tax Evasion and aiding criminal activity costing the state millions of Euro in lost Revenue. She's very lucky she's not in the pokey right now over what she did.

Would you say that same if she was a FG'er? Of course you wouldn't, you'd be calling for her head on a stick right now!

That's what I love about the partisan nature of Irish politics; if Adolf Hilter was a member of your particular party I'm sure we'd be hearing "ah shure, didn't he have problems with de auld Jews a few years back, but shure didn't he get the Autobahns up and sort out all that mad inflation. He's a really nice fella too, doesn't drink mind, but loves his dogs..."
    ninty9er wrote:
    Yeah. On that auld 100K salary of hers, t'wud take no time to pay off that auld €2.5 million legal bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Yeah. On that auld 100K salary of hers, t'wud take no time to pay off that auld €2.5 million legal bill.
    Aye, but you see, Bev is very good at tax planning, meaning that she actually has the full 100k to use for paying off the debt;)

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Aye, but you see, Bev is very good at tax planning, meaning that she actually has the full 100k to use for paying off the debt;)
    Ahhhhh!

...that's if by 'good' you mean 'criminal'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

ninty9er wrote:
    Thanks for confirming the non-existant ethical standard of the average FF member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm really worried if she gets back in especially as a minister.

What does this give out globally about Ireland?

International investors whats left of them will not want to come here with corruption rife at the heart of the government.(corruption via court ruling not like Berties tribunals)

What position is the country on the global corruption index?

Greens should walk if she gets back in, else their over stretched credibility will be wiped out.

Can we boycott the RTE license fee en masse as a protest? :)

It's hard for me to dislike a t.d as much as Ms Flynn.
    She's definitely her Daddies daughter in the way she goe's on.

I mean at least Lowry is somewhat affable but Flynn...

It's doubtfull she'll remain a t.d despite all her verbal slithering and sliding unless she ponies up the cash which is rising at €500 a day in interest.The law is the law.

Phrase of the day has to be "litigous folly" which is how counsel for RTÉ described her constitutional challenge to the part of the 02 electoral act that forces bankrupt t.d's to give up their seats within 6 months of the declaration.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0624/flynnb.html

She's settled so ye are stuck with her for the next 5 years.
    She probably told Ahern 2 weeks ago more than what was in the pubic domain as regards her means.
    I'd also hazzard a guess that his public "endorsement" of her was part of the secret deal she had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Tristrame wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0624/flynnb.html

She's settled so ye are stuck with her for the next 5 years.
    She probably told Ahern 2 weeks ago more than what was in the pubic domain as regards her means.
    I'd also hazzard a guess that his public "endorsement" of her was part of the secret deal she had.

I wonder how much RTE got it seems that the constitutional challenge was either a threat to get RTE to accept less or a gamble for time to raise the full amount. I heard weeks ago that it would be no problem to the Flynns to settle if it came to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I assume the use of the word "settled" means that RTÉ accepted less than the full amount due to them. :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    I assume the use of the word "settled" means that RTÉ accepted less than the full amount due to them. :rolleyes:
    Generally that is what settled means. I wonder how much RTE accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tristrame wrote:
    Phrase of the day has to be "litigous folly" which is how counsel for RTÉ described her constitutional challenge to the part of the 02 electoral act that forces bankrupt t.d's to give up their seats within 6 months of the declaration.

It is noticeable that the self-serving constitutional challenge will also be dropped. She has that same aura that Lowry has maintained. "She's one of ours".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Zebra3 wrote:

Must be nice to have power and a rich Daddy and partner to bail you out in times of trouble. Now that she's off the hook, I wonder will it be long before she's back in the FF fold with a promotion.

My licence fee is due, I wonder would RTE settle for part payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Surely it was in RTE's best interests to settle??

Options for RTE:
    1. Get her bankrupt and get next to nothing.
    2. Settle for a reduced (but no doubt substantial) amount and cut your losses.

Assuming she has no great amount of assets in her own name, 1.0 to 1.5 million would seem reasonable enough to me.

Advertisement