Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverley Cooper Flynn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well if its the 1.3 million that is been mentioned in the media than RTE have let her off the hook, whats the point in going to court and saying she is liable to €500 a week in interest if they are going to let her off with half of the amount owed?

As Mick86 says are they going to let me off with half of my licence fee?

I could go on about Bertie letting her back into the party but it would probably result in thread closure for legal clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

cast_iron wrote:
    Surely it was in RTE's best interests to settle??

Options for RTE:
    1. Get her bankrupt and get next to nothing.
    2. Settle for a reduced (but no doubt substantial) amount and cut your losses.

Assuming she has no great amount of assets in her own name, 1.0 to 1.5 million would seem reasonable enough to me.

If true, this would mean that RTE is prepared to let a sitting TD settle a debt for a few cents in the Euro, yet they seem content to see people hauled before the courts and face prison for non-payment of their TV licence.

If they settled for 1.0 to 1.5 million, that would leave RTE with a shortfall of at least 1.5 million, which presumably will be included in their case for a licence fee increase, which presumably the government will agree to. Result - RTE happy(increased licence fee ?), BCF happy(debt sorted and still a TD) and Bertie happy(no by-election and another vote guaranteed in the Dail), TV Licence holder( :mad: they get to pick up much of the bill).

It may also encourage others to influential people to sue RTE, knowing that they might expect to benefit from the generosity :confused: if they lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

as ive said in an earlier post and david quinn said on radio recently , while we may have been puritan about sex in this country at one time , we were never puritan about money
    most irish people,s attitude to people who can get away with the kinda crap bev has is more power to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I can honestly say I am totally pissed off that I renewed my licence last month. :mad:

heyjude wrote:
    If they settled for 1.0 to 1.5 million, that would leave RTE with a shortfall of at least 1.5 million, which presumably will be included in their case for a licence fee increase, which presumably the government will agree to.
    I hope you remain as inexperienced of law cases as you seem to be.
    Long may that be the case for your sake.

It's highly likely that if Flynn settled for half the costs,it means that the costs were sent to what is known as the "taxing master" of the court who rules on and helps negotiate "deals" on legal bills.
    In that case it will be the lawyers who will have taken the reduces fee's and not a case that RTÉ ended up paying the balance.
    zebra3 wrote:
    I can honestly say I am totally pissed off that I renewed my licence last month.
    I'd relax if I were you and not end up in the district court yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Aw, she's a class act alright ;) The neck of her, but you would come to expect nothing else from a Fianna Failer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Who actually suffers the loss of the balance which Flynn is not paying?

Where does the money she is paying with come from, is it a dig-out, gift or spare cash that she saved in a safe? Or perhaps she went to Manchester!

Is is in some way tax liable?

Did she really help bank clients in tax evasion?

What can we expect next? Ray Burke as Finance Minister when Cowen gets to be Taoiseach?

The Sopranos have finished is FF taking over?

Heinrich wrote:
    Who actually suffers the loss of the balance which Flynn is not paying?
    Quite likely to be the lawyers if as is likely it went to the taxing masters.
    Where does the money she is paying with come from, is it a dig-out, gift or spare cash that she saved in a safe? Or perhaps she went to Manchester!
    Her husband is a multi millionaire.
    Is is in some way tax liable?
    Lol
    Did she really help bank clients in tax evasion?
    apparently so but she denies this.
    Defacto the court that threw out her liable case thinks otherwise.
    It's usually best to go with the court's opinion.
    What can we expect next? Ray Burke as Finance Minister when Cowen gets to be Taoiseach?
    Unlikely unless of course he gets re elected somewhere which is also unlikely but you never know...
    The Sopranos have finished is FF taking over?
    Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I will withold any comment until I read the full stttlement.

Hopefully any settlement will not involve liability to the licencepayer.

There will be a very angry bantam if that's the case.

I will withold any comment until I read the full stttlement.

Hopefully any settlement will not involve liability to the licencepayer.

There will be a very angry bantam if that's the case.

Tristrame reckons the lawyers might be the ones to shoulder the bill for interests but I doubt that they would let themselves be put out of pocket. What is eternally astounding is how these people can save themselves millions.

Tomorrow might be interesting in Leinster house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

funny how rte dont have the story as one of there headlines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Zebra3 wrote:
    I can honestly say I am totally pissed off that I renewed my licence last month. :mad:

I havent renewed mine in 6 years :D RTE sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bit of humour for you:

A guy who lives in a rural area close to me had the Licence inspector call last week and he asked if he had a TV licence he replied saying he doesn't because he doesn't have a tv, the licence inspector pointed to the sky dish on the wall and said but you have a sky dish sir, he replied "ah sher I have a litre of milk in the fridge that doesn't mean I have cow in the yard"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

May I first of all highlight that the title on this thread is incorrect. Beverly has divorced this "Cooper" character [?] who it seems has since resumed carefree life elsewhere and presumably now gets his tax advice from other sources.

In Bev.s last statement of interests submission she [it seems] had no means to pay RTE 2.4 million, or even any substantial portion of this debt. Hence I conclude that the money came from somebody who was loaded and simply wanted to back this horse. Who this person may be I cannot even begin to guess, although I'm pretty sure that it couldn't be a property developer as Fianna Fail politicians and property tycoons are not a likely pairing.

- As for those who are implying that RTE will not be able to afford to procure and broadcast quality TV programming as a result of Bebberly's meagre s€ttl€m€nt - take heart as I have it on good authority that RTE plan to show all 12 series of Murder She Wrote over the next 12 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder,_She_Wrote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Voting signals approval. Ms Flynn, like Mr. Lowry and Mr. Ferris, enjoy the support and admiration of their constituents. I guess we could say that these people are role models.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Live on RTE Radio just now:

Bev - "I've lost and I'm paying the price"

Sean O'Rourke - "Eh no, you're paying half the price"

:D

In the great FF tradition, she made a "deal" so she's paying the price. Seems that the more suspicious the deals are the more the dealers gain support. Very strange quirk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Heinrich wrote:
    In the great FF tradition, she made a "deal" so she's paying the price. Seems that the more suspicious the deals are the more the dealers gain support. Very strange quirk that.

41% of the country don't think it's strange.

Let's face it.

Ireland has some of the nicest, talented, honest, caring, people in the world but lots of us are a shower of back stabbing, deal making, dishonest shower of scum to ever grace a life supporting planet.

In a recent survey this figure was estimated at 41%.

The Me Fein party - I'm happy F**k everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It would appear from Bevvy's interview with Sean o'Rourke that she settled for 1.3 m,it would also appear that RTE seems to have taken the "hit" for the balance.

If that is the case then RTE would have a case to answer to the licence payer.

If RTE lost the case I couldn't see Flynn letting them off the hook like that.

The whole thing has a particularly bad smell in my opinion.

It would appear from Bevvy's interview with Sean o'Rourke that she settled for 1.3 m,it would also appear that RTE seems to have taken the "hit" for the balance.

If that is the case then RTE would have a case to answer to the licence payer.

If RTE lost the case I couldn't see Flynn letting them off the hook like that.

The whole thing has a particularly bad smell in my opinion.

To quote the French:

L'argent n'a pas d'odeur (money does not smell)
    Vive la France!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seriously though, if there's any protests about this, please post about it.

Another nail in the coffin for Irish democracy. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

egan007 wrote:
    41% of the country don't think it's strange.

Let's face it.

Ireland has some of the nicest, talented, honest, caring, people in the world but lots of us are a shower of back stabbing, deal making, dishonest shower of scum to ever grace a life supporting planet.

In a recent survey this figure was estimated at 41%.

The Me Fein party - I'm happy F**k everyone else.

I couldnt have put it better if I tried, The ME ME era is here.

Heinrich wrote:
    Tristrame reckons the lawyers might be the ones to shoulder the bill for interests but I doubt that they would let themselves be put out of pocket.
    Like the rest of ye I don't know what the story is.I'm just speculating as to what would be the normal likely course in things like this.
    It seems RTé aren't even telling their own journalists who are relying on Ms Flynn's a/c of things.

No doubt it will surface in the Dáil via an FOI if theres no confidentiality agreement.
    The fact that RTE have made no official statement and are letting their own journo's speculate seems wierd.
    That said the big figure contained an esimate of interest at €500 a day which if put in front of the taxing master may have been partially waved as may have been any charges deemed excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Tristrame wrote:
    apparently so but she denies this.
    Defacto the court that threw out her liable case thinks otherwise.
    It's usually best to go with the court's opinion.

Which raises the next interesting question.

Why has there been no criminal investigation?
    ...If that is the case then RTE would have a case to answer to the licence payer.....

RTE doesn't answer to anyone. And it most definitely does not answer to the licence payer. RTE is a semi state monolith, financed by hidden taxation with the power of law to back it up. Refuse to pay your licence fee and you definitely will end up in court and you will pay the fee with a large fine for good measure. And you will not get a cent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mick86 wrote:
    Which raises the enxt interesting question.

Why has there been no criminal investigation?
    No complaint made to Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can I make one?

AFAIK, BCF isn't married to this property developer, he's her 'partner'. As such, if he's ponied up the cash, she's liable for gift tax. What's the odds that'll be chased up? :rolleyes:

I honestly forsee another brain drain from this country. Not down to a lack of work here anymore, simply a matter of those of us with brains (or perhaps consciences would be a better word) finally getting sick of the patients running the asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Bond-007 wrote:
    No complaint made to Gardaí?

There is no need to make a complaint to the Gardai. If evidence of a crime exists then a Garda investigation should follow.

Naturally the Garda Superintendent initiating the investigation can wave good bye to further promotion. He or she might even get a transfer without the option of having a pint instead.

Isn't democracy wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

As a TV licence holder, I'm happier that RTE took a commercial decision to recover a portion of the debt rather than none at all. RTE's public service remit extends only to broadcasting and does not include a responsibility to rid the Dail of a chancer other than by exposing her wrongdoing to public scrutiny. Job well done, RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Tristrame wrote:
    That said the big figure contained an esimate of interest at €500 a day which if put in front of the taxing master may have been partially waved as may have been any charges deemed excessive.

No the interest figure is actually set down in law it is not at the discretion of the taxing master the legal charges were set by a taxing master as 2.2 million and the interest penalty is automatic and set down by law Bev said this herself on the 1 O'clock news today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

courts act interest is 8% per annum.

Advertisement