Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beverley Cooper Flynn

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

As a TV licence holder, I'm happier that RTE took a commercial decision to recover a portion of the debt rather than none at all. RTE's public service remit extends only to broadcasting and does not include a responsibility to rid the Dail of a chancer other than by exposing her wrongdoing to public scrutiny. Job well done, RTE.

And I, as a TV licence holder, would be happier if the whole of the sum was recovered! The nonsense she claims that it is her money holds very little water. If I decide to pay only €70 because that is all I can afford RTE will pursue me and in default of payment I would go to prison!

I do not really care who exposes her wrongdoing, I just care about the semi state body who take our cash being done out of what effectively is our cash!

Will this come up in leaders' questions today in the dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The fact is Beverly Flynn took a libel action against the state broadcaster that she lost, as a result of that loss she owes the state broadcaster i.e. the tax payer €2.84 million, but RTE has allowed her to settle the debt by paying in the region of €1.3 million i.e. Beverly Flynn has cost the tax payer 1.5 million and the people of Mayo voted for her to represent them and our Taoiseach in his wisdom has said she can expect to be a Minister for State in time.

I don't know whether thats funny or depressing my sig says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I dont know why anyone is shocked. We voted FF back to power when there was the chance to change. I was sick when FF got back in. Anyone who has to use public transport or sit on the M50 know what I mean but they still got back in. This is what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

dodgyme wrote:
    I dont know why anyone is shocked. We voted FF back to power when there was the chance to change. I was sick when FF got back in. Anyone who has to use public transport or sit on the M50 know what I mean but they still got back in. This is what happens.

I'm not shocked. Cynical and annoyed, but not shocked. What else would one expect of a Fianna Fáiler.

And WE didn't vote FF back into power. 41% of those who voted did. That's about 29% of the electorate. THEY voted for FF because they do not use public transport, the M50, the public health service and so on.

Anyone looking at the Dáil live? Looks live Bertie made no deal with Beverly! Talking from both sides of his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mick86 wrote:
    And WE didn't vote FF back into power. 41% of those who voted did. That's about 29% of the electorate. THEY voted for FF because they do not use public transport, the M50, the public health service and so on.

And it would seem they aren't bothered by corruption and criminality either. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Mick86 wrote:
    I'm not shocked. Cynical and annoyed, but not shocked. What else would one expect of a Fianna Fáiler.

41.6% gave their first preference to FF
    2.7% gave their first preference to PD
    4.7% gave their first preference to Greens
    Then there are the 4 independents

So close on 50% of those that voted which is all we can count gave the current Government its first preference vote if you count the later preferences the Government has a comfortable majority of the electorate supporting it to some extent.

As to why people voted for FF your theory that 41.6% of the population
    do not use public transport, the M50, the public health service and so on
    has absolutely no credibility

I would suggest that they voted FF because
    A they support FF
    B They did not like the look of the alternative
    C They were concerned about the future and felt that FF might be better if times ahead might be rough

Whilst we do not have to agree with the decision of the electorate this is a democracy and we do have to respect that decision no matter how much we disagree with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

I too would like RTE to be paid ALL of the money due. However, if they make Bev a bankrupt, they won't get paid. For RTE this is a debt-collection issue. In terms of standards in public life, it is outrageous that a Bev can be elected.

I too would like RTE to be paid ALL of the money due. However, if they make Bev a bankrupt, they won't get paid. For RTE this is a debt-collection issue. In terms of standards in public life, it is outrageous that a Bev can be elected.

It is more outrageous that she is in line for promotion

Voipjunkie wrote:
    41.6% gave their first preference to FF
    2.7% gave their first preference to PD
    4.7% gave their first preference to Greens
    Then there are the 4 independents

So close on 50% of those that voted which is all we can count gave the current Government its first preference vote if you count the later preferences the Government has a comfortable majority of the electorate supporting it to some extent.

You are absolutely correct. Except nobody mentioned the Government. The following quotes are a dead giveaway.
    And WE didn't vote FF back into power. 41% of those who voted did.
    I dont know why anyone is shocked. We voted FF back to power when there was the chance to change.
    Voipjunkie wrote:
    As to why people voted for FF your theory that 41.6% of the population has absolutely no credibility .

Well it does when you consider that more than 29% of the Electorate lives outside Dublin so they rarely use the M50. People who live outside the major cities don't bother with public transport because it is practically non-existent and the people who invest in FF politicians don't need public health.
    Voipjunkie wrote:
    I would suggest that they voted FF because
    A they support FF
    B They did not like the look of the alternative
    C They were concerned about the future and felt that FF might be better if times ahead might be rough.

Do you really think so?
    Voipjunkie wrote:
    Whilst we do not have to agree with the decision of the electorate this is a democracy and we do have to respect that decision no matter how much we disagree with it.

I never said otherwise.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    And it would seem they aren't bothered by corruption and criminality either. :mad:

Apparently not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Her interview with Sean O'Rourke on Monday's News at One should be obligatory listening for anyone that has to defend an impossible position.

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/209-2262447.smil

It is, imho, a excellent example of someone playing the victim when they themselves have caused the situation in which they find themselves. Brass neck doesn't even come close to describing it. It's an incredible performance, almost admirable - I said almost :p .
    After losing a High Court and Supreme Court case she still feels she has nothing to apologise for and still believes she did nothing wrong :eek: .

I don't think it's fair to say that all FF politicians are corrupt - however those few that are seem to find it's no impediment to progress within the party unfortunately :( .

Mick86 wrote:
    You are absolutely correct. Except nobody mentioned the Government. The following quotes are a dead giveaway.

Fianna Fail are not in power on their own the clear suggestion of your post was that FF are not representative of the Irish people unfortunately they are

Mick86 wrote:
    Well it does when you consider that more than 29% of the Electorate lives outside Dublin so they rarely use the M50. People who live outside the major cities don't bother with public transport because it is practically non-existent and the people who invest in FF politicians don't need public health.

Hello people in dublin voted FF as well 19 FF tds elected in Dublin I suppose they don't use Public transport or the M50 either.

So 41.6% of the population invest in FF and have no need for public health. Honestly this nonsense just gets worse and worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It is, imho, a excellent example of someone playing the victim when they themselves have caused the situation in which they find themselves. Brass neck doesn't even come close to describing it. It's an incredible performance, almost admirable

Maybe that was the deal that she did with Bertie.....she got his scriptwriter from his leave-me-alone-I-needed-a-house days :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

No one would suggest that ALL FF politicians are corrupt. They do however have the vast majority of corrupt politicians. FG are way behind and the others don't figure at all.

I find it LESS outrageous that Bev be promoted than that she be elected in the first place. Her election means facing up to the fact that a large number of people in Mayo approve of her.

Difficult as it might be to contemplate but perhaps Bev is morally innocent and that is why her media appearances are so convincing; she's not lying! She may sincerely believe that she has done nothing wrong. Her supporters may sincerely believe that she has done nothing wrong. A huge number of Irish people may share that view. (No, of course I don't mean to suggest that this makes it alright!!)

No one would suggest that ALL FF politicians are corrupt. They do however have the vast majority of corrupt politicians. FG are way behind and the others don't figure at all.

)

Again you manage to completely ignore the point that

A) yes there has been more corrupt politicians in FF but there are more politicians in FF
    B)They have been in power for 18 of the last 20 years and whether you like it or not it is very difficult to be a bent politician when you have no power.But during the brief 2 year spell that FG were in power they had Micheal Lowry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The difference, Voipjunkie, is that you'd never see Enda Kenny make Lowry a minister, something Bertie Ahern has given Beverley Cooper Flynn a pretty public nudge and a wink that she's in line for one if she re-joins the party.

You've also got the double standards of Bertie sacking Ivor Callely for misconduct which would appear to be less inapropriate than a lot of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Again you manage to completely ignore the point that

A) yes there has been more corrupt politicians in FF but there are more politicians in FF
    B)They have been in power for 18 of the last 20 years and whether you like it or not it is very difficult to be a bent politician when you have no power.But during the brief 2 year spell that FG were in power they had Micheal Lowry.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here :confused:.

Is it that:
    A)if FF have an average bent politician to total membership ratio then that's ok?
    B)if you've been in power for a long time then you can hardly blame politicians for being corrupt as you can't expect them to resist temptation for ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I think someone should start a thread over in politics about corruption in Irish politics...no names to be mentioned just a general discussion on the parties. There seems to be an on-going discussion about it which seems to run into other threads.

As for Bev, I'm no fan, and I think there must have been some deal done somewhere behind the scences because to get something like 45% of what you were asking for seems to me a bad deal on RTE's side.

DeepBlue wrote:
    I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here :confused:.

Is it that:
    A)if FF have an average bent politician to total membership ratio then that's ok?
    B)if you've been in power for a long time then you can hardly blame politicians for being corrupt as you can't expect them to resist temptation for ever?

The point is that corruption exists not that it is OK but that no matter who is in power left or right there will always be corruption. Just as there will always be murder in society it is not OK but it is a reality that no matter what punishment there will always be murder and we would laugh if someone suggested that they could eradicate it by voting for or against a political party

Corruption be dealt will in the same way as any crime should be dealt with but the suggestion that FF are inherently corrupt and FG are inherently honest is a fallacy.
    Some people seem to be of the opinion that if we got rid of FF then we would get rid of corruption that is fantasy stuff.

Sleepy wrote:
    The difference, Voipjunkie, is that you'd never see Enda Kenny make Lowry a minister, something Bertie Ahern has given Beverley Cooper Flynn a pretty public nudge and a wink that she's in line for one if she re-joins the party.

You've also got the double standards of Bertie sacking Ivor Callely for misconduct which would appear to be less inapropriate than a lot of his own.

I'm sure you are correct we will never see Enda Kenny appoint Lowry as a minister

• Advertisement

As well I think the way Fianna Fail are going a few years down the line they will have all sorts of crooks in their party and will be promoting them up the ranks...but then they done that in the past so why not in the future.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    The point is that corruption exists not that it is OK but that no matter who is in power left or right there will always be corruption. Just as there will always be murder in society it is not OK but it is a reality that no matter what punishment there will always be murder and we would laugh if someone suggested that they could eradicate it by voting for or against a political party

Corruption be dealt will in the same way as any crime should be dealt with but the suggestion that FF are inherently corrupt and FG are inherently honest is a fallacy.
    Some people seem to be of the opinion that if we got rid of FF then we would get rid of corruption that is fantasy stuff.

Voipjunkie, no-one disagress with you. But FG corruption hardly compares to the scale of FF corruption. Charlie Haughy for one was thought to have earned something like 45 million in todays money from his corrupt activities. And FG tackled corrupt activities right away. FF usually promote someone they know to be corrrupt until eventually the outcry grows so loud the have no choice but to get rid of them. My argument is FF are perceived by many as being an honest party overall and the others as looking to get into power for the sake of being corrupt or serving themselves. This is the legacy of FF and Haughy corruption. But im going to leave it at that. this thread is about Bev afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Get rid off FF and you get rid of at least the largest corrupt party imo, get rid of Bertie and you get rid of another corrupt leader imo, he looked up every tree in Dublin and couldn't find anything wrong with Ray Burke yet the Revenue found it easily enough. FF have many good hard working honest members however the party is far from clean.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It would appear from Bevvy's interview with Sean o'Rourke that she settled for 1.3 m,it would also appear that RTE seems to have taken the "hit" for the balance.

If that is the case then RTE would have a case to answer to the licence payer.

if the options are:

1) make her bankrupt by spending more money on legal actions and get a small proportion of what you are owed

2) make a deal that gets you close to half

then the second option is the best one by far. This whole, 'RTÉ should have gotten all the money off her' argument is ridiculous. From where exactly? She doesn't have the assets.

Voipjunkie wrote:
    Fianna Fail are not in power on their own the clear suggestion of your post was that FF are not representative of the Irish people unfortunately they are

They are representative of 29% of those eligible to vote anyway.
    Voipjunkie wrote:
    Hello people in dublin voted FF as well 19 FF tds elected in Dublin I suppose they don't use Public transport or the M50 either.

So 41.6% of the population invest in FF and have no need for public health. Honestly this nonsense just gets worse and worse

41.6% of the people didn't invest in FF. There was a 70% turn out in the election. 41% of 70% is 29%. So in reality 29% of the electorate voted FF. Irish people under voting age are not included. Neither are the 30% who didn't vote. FF is the party of Big business, the professional classes and so on. People who can afford private health care and who do not use public transport. 19 FF TDs in Dublin represents less than 1/4 of the FF total or roughly 7%. This 7% probably does park on the M50 regularly.

It's easy when you think about it.:D

copacetic wrote:
    if the options are:

1) make her bankrupt by spending more money on legal actions and get a small proportion of what you are owed

2) make a deal that gets you close to half

then the second option is the best one by far. This whole, 'RTÉ should have gotten all the money off her' argument is ridiculous. From where exactly? She doesn't have the assets.

You're right of course. But the bad taste in the mouth won't go away for some reason.

It's a choice between RTE getting as much of our money back as they possibly can or inflicting some kind of punishment on a thief and a liar.

In an ideal world the thief would get her come-uppance. In the real world money talks.

Maybe Bertie will create a Junior Ministry for Banking Ethics in the Dept of Finance for her.:D

copacetic wrote:

This whole, 'RTÉ should have gotten all the money off her' argument is ridiculous. From where exactly? She doesn't have the assets.

You have to be joking right? Have you seen the house she and her partner live in? It's worth at least 2 million euro. He has built half of Castlebar as well. And If she had to take out a loan to make up the rest then it wouldn't knock anything out of her. The Flynns are loaded tbh.

This "deal" with RTE stinks to high heavens just like everything else about FF. It's all about behind the scenes deals and carve ups, the usual craic. But hey if the people are willing to be fooled, cajoled and mislead by FF, then so be it. Sometimes I think criticising FF is counter productive cause it gives them the oxygen of publicity and it seems with them there is no such thing as bad publicity. But some day maybe people will see sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

gbh wrote:
    You have to be joking right? Have you seen the house she and her partner live in? Its worth at least 2 million euro. He has built half of Castlebar as well. And If she had to take out a loan to make up the rest then it wouldn't knock anything out of her. The Flynn's are loaded tbh.
    you might need to jion the other BCF thread that has just started, chk politics stub;) This info is needed there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

What criminal offence was Beverly Flynn found guilty of?

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote:
    What criminal offence was Beverly Flynn found guilty of?

Does that matter? She took a libel action to the High Court and then The Supreme Court and lost both cases, incurring debts of nearly €3 million. After a number of years she makes a deal with RTE which is a semi state body. They claim that if she were declared bankrupt they would not have gotten anything. That is rubbish as she is a property owner and can derive equity from her holdings!

The taxpayers are out of pocket one way or another and this should not be tolerated.

Advertisement