Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety/Panic attacks

Options
  • 27-05-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've been a little stressed lately but I've been able to handle it pretty ok and managed to stop it getting in my way. Lately I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping and when lying in bed I start to get even more stressed, almost having panic attacks. I manage to control them but always have the second or two of complete helplessness where I feel like I'm stuck and like this is about to take me over which terrifies the hell out of me. I had issues with this once before but the situation I was in was far more serious. I don't understand how it's happening again with just little things acting as triggers when I'm pretty happy. Unfortunately it's leading to me drinking slightly excessively at times which stresses me out further. I've suffered from depression in the past but I've managed to keep that at bay a while now. I'm terrified that I'll get worn down from this and end up an emotional wreck again. Anybody have any tips on preventing this? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

ah ok first of all *hugz* because well, that could have been me that wrote that so Ive plenty of sympathy for you.

I know how scary panic attacks can be and yea lying in bed at night can be the worst, you're mind just starts going over things again and again. If you're having trouble sleeping make sure you have a good going to bed routine,and keep to a regular bedtime, where you wind your body and mind down before sleep. Keep your bedroom just for sleep and dont watch tv or use a laptop in bed, it confuses your brain as to what the bed is for and it wont wind down.

Ive a few methods I use to try calm myself down, firstly stuff like camomile tea and bachs rescue remedy can be very helpful, especially if you're feeling a wee bit stressed sitting down with a cup of camomile can often do the trick for me. It can also be a good part of the bedtime routine.
    The other thing I would recommend is a good relaxation cd, that combines deep breathing exercises and sort of a meditation. I use one I got with a book called 'When Panic Attacks' by Aine Tubridy. You feel silly doing them at first but I have this cd saved on my mp3 player now, its with me where ever I go, just in case.

If you get a good sleeping pattern and a good technique for dealing with panic sorted the drinking issue may solve itself as you wont feel the need to drink. Remember though that drink is a depressant so be careful, do try and cut down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

frightening shortness of breath and mild shakes...suffered very badly from panic panic attacks about 5 years ago and overcame them..starting to return...I'm ok after a night's sleep...but after a few hours and just minor irritants they are starting to emerge...and at times frightening...been there before...and thought they wouldn't freak me again...but they are!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when they are happening, I get nervous and agitated. as you would, but I just remind myself that it's only a panic attack and the only damage that can come is damage I inflict upon myself. Deep breaths, pinch myself or otherwise distracting myself seems to work.

I do miss caffeine though

palpitations are scary...apparently not dangerous but scary...I'm in Counselling for a current personal issue...and think my anxiety in relation to that..is causing panic attacks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

two threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Try exercising regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

I recently decided enough was enough and went to my GP about my anxiety and panic that ive had bad for about 3 years but on and off for alot longer. My GP was very helpful, arranged a Psychiatrist appointment and put me on Lexapro. Seemed like it was the start of a new more relaxed me. Unfortunately Lexapro did nothing for me so i have stopped taking it and i went to the Psychiatrist who was understanding yet he told me he would call me the next day with new medication that will hopefully work. Here we are about a week and a half later with no word and he is completely uncontactable. Kinda puts all the hope i had on ice for the moment which is a complete pain. Thinking of going private but seeing the psychiatrist was bloody tough without any working medication and the thought of doing it again is damn terrifying!

Try and get a message to psychiatrist or head down to the location you saw him/her at. If you cant get in touch go to GP and explain situation, the GP will prescribe you a medication(clonazepam,xanax or valium which work immediately) that can help untill you see the psychiatrist and untill the psychiatrist prescribes a new medication that works. Lexapro doesnt work for all people but other similar medications usually work for those people, maybe prozac or seroxat will work for you instead. If you can get to see a psychotherapist/CBT therapist I'd give this a try first or at same time as taking medication. Do you have health insurance? If so then contact one of the private hospitals about their programmes for anxiety where you get all the help you need.

Try and get a message to psychiatrist or head down to the location you saw him/her at. If you cant get in touch go to GP and explain situation, the GP will prescribe you a medication(clonazepam,xanax or valium which work immediately) that can help untill you see the psychiatrist and untill the psychiatrist prescribes a new medication that works. Lexapro doesnt work for all people but other similar medications usually work for those people, maybe prozac or seroxat will work for you instead. If you can get to see a psychotherapist/CBT therapist I'd give this a try first or at same time as taking medication. Do you have health insurance? If so then contact one of the private hospitals about their programmes for anxiety where you get all the help you need.
    I think im just gonna see about going private to be honest. I got a recommendation for a doctor in the Ardagh Clinic so will check that out. The doctor i saw originally was in St James hospital so its a bit of a nightmare getting in touch with him. I do also plan to see my GP about getting something that will work quicker to tied me over for the first few appointments anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I have them quiet a lot now too. They've been making my life hell for two years now. I'm scared to go anywhere which means leaving house or my "comfort zone".
    I solve them by drinking, and this is leading to a vicious cycle.
    I play football four times a week.

• Advertisement

I used to drink to temporarily suspend them also. Was a teacher and would you believe carried alcohol in my teachers bag into the classroom...don't think I ever used it on school grounds but I often carried it in case of an emergency!... Deep breathing and gradualy expanding my comfort zone helped a lot.

The following might help a little:
    Inhale deeply for at least 3 and up to 5 seconds, pushing out slightly the bottom part of your stomach.. Hold for 3-5 seconds. and exhale for 3-5 seconds..the longer the better.repeat this 5 or more times...and you will feel a little more relaxed...My original therapist recommended 5 sessions of 8 a day..Just try it and it will help a little at least...maybe a lot...

I was actually a virtual prisioner in Limerick for years...try to expand your movements...as your world can become small..talk to people...attend support if necessary...and if need be have people accompany you in fearful situations...don't keep it to yourself...Sharing helps a lot

Oriel wrote:
    I have them quiet a lot now too. They've been making my life hell for two years now. I'm scared to go anywhere which means leaving house or my "comfort zone".
    I solve them by drinking, and this is leading to a vicious cycle.
    I play football four times a week.

Cut out the drinking for a while and see if it helps. When you drink the alcohol leaving your system causes anxiety chemicals in your brain like norepherine and glutamate to spike and cause you distress. Keep up the football, it is helping. Go to a psychotherapist and look for cognitive behavioural therapy which is very good for panic attacks. If the psychotherapy doesnt help enough by itself then consider taking a medication short term as well .

I also personally found the support group 'Grow' useful for a while...but an acquired taste..depends on the person and group composition..which varies enormously

I do also use alcohol as a means of getting somewhere without going mad. For example, if im going into the city centre, i always drink at home first to get me through the bus journey in. Usually i also throw a bit of vodka and orange or something into a mineral bottle for the journey in, just incase i start feeling panic on the journey. Usually the entire bottle goes into a bin as soon as i get off but if i didnt have it there as a fallback, i would probably freak out. Really goes to show how silly the whole thing is but unfortunately while its silly, its damn hard to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here. Had a bit of a bad night. Trying so hard to keep this from getting on top of me. I haven't a single person to talk to about it which is making it so much worse. My GP last time just said I was attention seeking. I've been fighting my depression so hard and I'm not doing too bad but I just need a bit of help! Bit frustrating now, I know I'll get over it just need to vent a little I guess.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

oigffghjkl wrote:
    My GP last time just said I was attention seeking.

LIfe is too short to lead it like this. If your GP is not helping you ditch him and find someone who will.

My GP was great put me on XANAX and I can remember what else also arranged an appointment with a Psychiatrist, after about six months things started to get better and I stopped the medication after about nine months I finished with the psychiatrist. It's about four years on now and I never thought my life would be this good again.

Get back to your GP or find another, dont rest till you get what you need. If it means medication go for it, if it means regular appointments with a psychaitrist do it.

For purely anxiety or panic attacks alone rescue remedy is good..it's non-prescription so if you need it..avail of it. As I stated earlier deep breathing and slow exhalation also has a strong relaxing effect. Maybe also check if there is any support groups in your locality?. Is there specific situations which trigger your anxiety? or is it depression?. If there is specific situations they can be worked on.

I'd happily chat to you in person..feel free to personal mesage me any time

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Hi guys
    Im pretty burdened by this illness too at the moment , i had agrophobia and panic attacks years ago which wasent that bad compared to now , christmas 07 i drank for 3 days solid without sleep and the results were disastrous , i woke up in the middle of the night started shaking loads and breathing really fast , went to hospital and sat in A&E for about 8 hours hyperventilating while doctors and nurses just walked around , it was truly horrible , like having an 8 hour long panic attack , havent drank since but i suffer from the anxiety now , my comfort zone used to be my bed or my home but now since i had a panic attack in bed its become the opposite :( , each night i worry about going to bed , i went to counsellers and therapists in the past even hypnotherapy but it never did anything for me , also i used drugs for a while and found they did nothing either , also i disagree with using them because if I do eventully stop using them and have an attack id blame it on being dependant on the drugs .

Thats my 2 cents

Apocalypse wrote:
    Hi guys
    Im pretty burdened by this illness too at the moment , i had agrophobia and panic attacks years ago which wasent that bad compared to now , christmas 07 i drank for 3 days solid without sleep and the results were disastrous , i woke up in the middle of the night started shaking loads and breathing really fast , went to hospital and sat in A&E for about 8 hours hyperventilating while doctors and nurses just walked around , it was truly horrible , like having an 8 hour long panic attack , havent drank since but i suffer from the anxiety now , my comfort zone used to be my bed or my home but now since i had a panic attack in bed its become the opposite :( , each night i worry about going to bed , i went to counsellers and therapists in the past even hypnotherapy but it never did anything for me , also i used drugs for a while and found they did nothing either , also i disagree with using them because if I do eventully stop using them and have an attack id blame it on being dependant on the drugs .

Thats my 2 cents

you need to see a psychiatrist and do an anxiety programme if you want best chance of overcoming this. What meds did you take? I would recomend an ssri for your problem as many I know with similar probs have been helped by them.

I took xanex for a while and at christmas the doc gave some other pills only for a week but i dident take them , whats an SSRI ron ? like a CAT scan or somthing is it :) ? I eat healthy and cycle the bike but its a problem of the mind after all so these things dont really seem to help much. Drink isnt the way to go , I used to go to the pub and swallow a pint of guiness but to settle me before my friends even got there but christmas saw me off it for good .

Also it was rude of me to dump my problem in here while someone else was looking for help , the best way i find to handle a panic attack is to take your mind off it (difficult i know) , read a book or play an immersive computer game helps me , obviously this cant be done when ur out and about so i cant help there sorry.

And another question is a panic attack and anxiety attack the same thing ? When i used have panic it would be there and gone but with anxiety i seem to feel generally crappy all round :( .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 bogzilla

i've have also suffered from panic attacks - although usually in confined places e.g. flying, the tube etc...

the main things i find helpful in relaxing and getting through them are reducing your caffine and alcohol intake and loads of regular exercise!

i also like the point about the "winding-down" at the end of the night, camomile tea is good or also some chilled music.

one of the most important things i realised after a while though is that you are not alone in this - it happens to millions of people around the world. remember that you're not alone or a freak if this happens, it is just another illness like many others out there - life was never meant to be a stroll.

best of luck with it but do try to make some manageable changes to your lifestyle that you will stick with - my number one is fitness - improves the body and mind no end!

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Try exercising regularly.
    I think this is great advice, most people see exercise as a physical thing. But really it's an emotional, mental and self esteem thing as well. The improvements you feel with regular exercise cannot be underestimated. If u feel intimidated by an gym buy some small fitness equipment you can use at home and start from there.

Thanks for the advice guys but im a little skeptical about the whole fitness thing , dont mean to sound arrogant but surely being physically fit cant help u become stronger mentally ?
    Also does tea count as caffeine ?

Thanks

Hi Apocalypse..while for a long time a sceptic of the exercise approach ..I now feel that it does have a role..just a role...as do several other techniques..it isn't the entire solution but it can be a segment of it..allow me to explain

While distress of the mind is very much mental....the sensations of panic and anxiety in your body are very much physical...theses physical reactions cause further distress for the brain as the brain worries about them. Exercise ..not sure of the science...but exercise disrupts these sensations of panic and releasing 'happy' chemicals into the body..thus it can reduce the physical symptoms..which in turn mean less for the brain to worry about!...

bogzilla wrote:
    camomile tea is good or also some chilled music.
    Skull pounding knacker trance would suit then no? :D While ive only recently suffered from panic, i have had anxiety for years. The panic seems to be progressing alot faster tho, in a bad way, not good! A bit of good light music does help alot when i start to feel it coming on and it does stop you concentrating on the voice in your head. Also doing a crossword or sodoku or something is great. Once you concentrate on anything else, you stop thinking about the panic.

Tea btw has 2/3 the caffiene of coffee so quite alot. I have given up coffee and coke permenantly but like tea too much to give it the kick unfortunately. Thats normal tea mind, i dunno about camomile.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Could anyone recommend a good, understanding doctor? I can't afford to go to a psychiatrist at the mo and I don't have much faith in them after a previous bad experience. I think for me a lot of it is physical. I know how irrational I'm being and I do everything I can to calm myself but it's not usually enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok.
    It's like reading my life story here (which is posted on page 3 or 4 at this stage :) )
    Alcohol will only make things worse.
    I relied on it for so long that I'm verging on alcoholism at the moment.
    The only way through this, as far as I can see, is through being open with those around you.
    Anxiety is nothing to be embarassed about, even though you will feel really emabarassed when you have a panic attack in public. The reality is that nobody is looking at you. You're fine.
    A psychiatric nurse told me once that a great way to beat panic attacks is to tell yourself that there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.
    It worked for a while and then I got drunk and screwed it all up again.
    That was November. I'm still drinking and leaving the house is a nightmare.

Cut out caffiene and alcohol, talk to your friends and family (if they are any use, they will understand and be patient with you (14 years on and I am lucky enough to still have the same friends)) and most importantly go and see a GP and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.
    Do not leave it too long or it will consume your life.
    Don't be afraid to take the drugs prescribed to you, but also question the success rate of said drugs.

The most important this though is to be open about your situation. Hiding it will only cause more stress.

To th person above, You will need to be specific about where you are located in order to get an answer.
    The best thing I can think of is that you contact your local health board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Apocalypse wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys but im a little skeptical about the whole fitness thing , dont mean to sound arrogant but surely being physically fit cant help u become stronger mentally ?
    Also does tea count as caffeine ?

Thanks

Excercise increases bloodflow, respiration and the release of various hormonal compounds into the body, of which endorphins are one.

Properly excercised muscles rest better and reduce tension in the the body the endorphins have a soothing, anesthetic effect and the increased oxygenation of the blood allows for clearer thinking etc

Its only a small part of a much larger treatment (I should know 4 years treatment for chronic anxiety) but it does help.

good luck with it!

Well, im on new medication for it now but not seeing any drastic results. I think they are helping slightly but not life changing as of yet. Ill stick with em anyway and see. Also decided enough is enough with the alcohol. Basically went to a graduation last week and had a half a naggan of vodka at about 7:30am before leaving the house to bear it. I know myself that if i try to stamp it out on occasions like this, i will not have the power to deal with the thought of anxiety when i leave the house so will take the safe option and skull some booze, so i told my parents about it as they will be able to force me more so to go without alcohol. Naturally they are not happy about me doing this before going out but hopefully now that they know, i can stop it and learn to overcome this without drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's good that you told your parents, but you really need to start going places without any alcohol in your system.
    Face the panic head on and keep telling yourself that it's all in your head.
    I know it's not easy, but it's something you need to do and do now.
    If you find yourself panicking on a bus, just take deep breaths and try to focus on something else.
    If you are out walking, just slow your pace down and take steady breaths. Fight against the hyperventilation (if you experience it).
    I find puzzles can help. I used to bring a sudoku book with me on bus journeys. Music doesn't go astray either.

To the person who sent me a PM yesterday, I forgot to mention those things to you. Sorry about that. A bit out of it on pain killers. (Actual pain and not imagined :) )

Just remember, a panic attack cannot kill you. The very worst thing that will happen is that you pass out, and that is only in extreme circumstances.

Could anyone recommend a good, understanding doctor? I can't afford to go to a psychiatrist at the mo and I don't have much faith in them after a previous bad experience.
    Apply for a medical card.
    You can get the form from your local GP and they will also give you the address to send it to.

Advertisement