Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DKIT Graduation questions

• 27-05-2007 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I'm hopefully going to get my higher certificate this summer, and then go elsewhere to do bigger and better things. So when will I get my official Cert paper? Do I have to get a graduation gown or a suit? :o

Will I be required to attend the graduation ceremony? Can I just go to the head of my department in college, get my Cert, and then swiftly leave? :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I was in this dialema last year. No you do not have to attend the ceremony. I didn't for my cert and in a way I regret it, as my attertaining my degree is questionable at the minute. If you do not attend the ceremony your cert will be posted out to you. If you do attend you need to be fitted for a gown (which costs a few bob) but in the long run is probably worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I know loads of people that have attended the ceremonies and none of them have ever said it was worth attending to be honest.

its not something i'd see myself enjoying anyway and dont you have to buy a ticket to the after part too?

off topic - where ya thinking of heading experimental? i was thinking the same if i passed my cert i would like to go somewhere else to get a degree but i'd have to go to sligo, cork, tipp, carlow, limerick, galway, was hoping i could get somewhere in dublin but it seems not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

since all my questions were answered, I can go off topic :P

I'm transferring into DIT, and I hope I get in. If I'll fail to get in, I'll take a year out and get a job, but I'm definitely not coming back to DKIT for another year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

is dkit that bad ?

I heard it was supposed to be good for engineering and computers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

DKIT is excellent for electronic and mechanical engineering, and also it's good for building surveying. In computers or engineering, class groups are small, so you're likely to receive tuition and assistance whenever you want it.

If you are thinking of construction or building surveying, prepare to give up your part time job and sacrifice a lot of your spare time for the academic year, but if you will be good at it, it will be hugely rewarding. On the other hand, if you find that you're lost, scraping passes in exams and can't see yourself working in that area, leave ASAP. I was doing construction and I found it a complete hell, especially in second year.

Thankfully, I had an alternative career goal and I've decided to change course. It just happened that the course that I wanted to do was not in DKIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The ceremonies are pretty meaningless, unless you're into that kind of thing. Expect boring speeches, and opportunities for professional photographers to attempt to con you out of some money. If your family are big on portraits and occassions, its probably worth being there. Otherwise you graduate "in absentia", and they send you the cert in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You do get to wear gowns though. That's fun!

Advertisement