Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep off the grass!!

Options
  • 27-05-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Im probably out of the loop with this one but I was out walking the wee man in his buggy across in the Grove (im a Wood man) and noticed a sign in the grass. My curiosity got the better of me so I parked the buggy and strolled over to see what it was. Picture my surprise and amusement at a sign that forbids kids to play ball in the grass so as to preserve this wonderfull green comodidty!! Far be it from me to tell Grovers what to do but how the hell does that happen??? Did the management company put it there? Well for what its worth I think its a disgrace and if thats the spirit of how we are going to treat the kids of Charlesland god help us when they are teenagers! I wonder what they are doing about the fact that our little children cant go around the paths on their bikes or with their prams because so many cars are parked on them! I dont see any signs for that?! Priorities eh?
    Needless to say if there are plans to erect such signs throughout Charlesland I will be vehemently opposing it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I totally agree with Suder on this. It's a disgrace. I presume whoever puts it up prefers the kids throwing rocks at houses and breaking into cars than -god forbid- play on the bleedin grass.
    I don't know why are people so obsessed with grass anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

I totally agree with you. The green areas should be for the children to play in but that sign was put up becasue some adults were playing football too "apparently". I know lots of the parents still allow thier children to play and no-one gives out to them. I think there may be 1 or 2 residents that have an issue with it who wanted the signs put up but they are kinda of ignored so all in all the children still play and I for one will stand up for any child that I see getting an earfull from a resident. They are ba humbugs and proabably want to cancel Christmas too!!

One more point - for those who want the sign to stay up would you rather have pretty grass on the front and have parents send their children off to other greens to play where they cant see them and god knows who would be prowling around or wouldnt it better that children play on the green in front of their houses where the parents can see them and hopefully no harm can come to them. I know which choice I would want and I can tell you alot of other parents would agree - let them play on the green and sod the begrudgers!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

i think this was on the recent charlesland newsletter thingy that apparantly one of the gardeners said that because there was football playing going on the grass wouldnt be able to survive so they were going to put signs up forbidding football playing.

i dont have any kids myself but have to say i do agree with the sentiment in the above thread - whats the point in having the green areas if people/kids cant use them? sure the grass is going to suffer but in the grand scheme of things who cares? id rather they invested the signs money in speed ramps.

what was doubley ironic about it was that the same newsletter metioned cars not being allowed park on pavements and the representative who delivered the newsletter actually had a second car parked ACROSS the pavement when he delivered the newsletter!!:)

dont get me wrong, i do think the res. assoc. are doing a good job in bringing our concerns to Cuala etc etc but i do think they need to get the resident's priorities in order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

At least the residents association newletter you got had some useful info. The last one for the Wood had handy tips like which way your bin should face. Way to tackle the big issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Yes I do feel that the residents committee was out of order with the last newsletter, Namely with the no playing on the green area and the involvment of NCP - clampers to you and I!!

Are there any plans for a residents meeting, seems fair to meet and discuss these issues before putting up signs forbidding something? I know it's only a very small percentage of residents use Boards but I can't see that the majority of residents don't want children to play on the grass. Families living here pay their man. fees also and speaking for myself I will always let the children play football or whatever they like on the green. In my mind that is what they are there for not just to look pretty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Under the development plan green areas are provided in developments like these for public amenity space. So does this just mean for walking around and admiring the few blades of grass and lack of trees?? Of course it's for kids to use as a kickaround. I don't see the kids running up to the sports sentre to hire out an astroturf pitch for an hour every day!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

To coin someone's phrase from last week on another topic:

'If you don't vote, don't bitch'

Its very easy for us all to come on here and complain about the residents committees' and those VERY FEW that actually give up their time to get involved in what its actually everyone's committee. So what about the quality of the content of Wood's newsletter, at least they've gone to the effort of trying to put something together!

Just a suggestion - maybe instead of complaining here about the 'quality' of work our Residents Committees are doing, that we get off our asses and actually get involved?

Shocking thought..... maybe instead of expending negative energy on these Boards that we actually do something positive and put ourselves forward for our individual the Residents Committee at the next AGM and strive to make them work better?

Jingle wrote:
    To coin someone's phrase from last week on another topic:

'If you don't vote, don't bitch'

Its very easy for us all to come on here and complain about the residents committees' and those VERY FEW that actually give up their time to get involved in what its actually everyone's committee. So what about the quality of the content of Wood's newsletter, at least they've gone to the effort of trying to put something together!

Just a suggestion - maybe instead of complaining here about the 'quality' of work our Residents Committees are doing, that we get off our asses and actually get involved?

Shocking thought..... maybe instead of expending negative energy on these Boards that we actually do something positive and put ourselves forward for our individual the Residents Committee at the next AGM and strive to make them work better?

This has nothing to do with the original topic.
    Yes ofcourse it's good to get involved in residents committee.
    But at the same time the point evreyone is making is that vast majority of people are for allowing people to play on the grass and dont care about having a bald patch on it, and resident committee was out of line putting those signs without proper consultation. This is a valid point and has nothing to do with whether one is an active member of committee or not. The committee is there to represent the will of residents and to me this looks like completely against the will of majority of residents! So please do not try to discredit people's valid arguments but superficial comments and sound bites like "if you don't vote, don't bitch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thanks for that Jingle.

I am one of the people who actually takes the time to attend the AGM, I exercise my vote in the matters that arise at them.

Therefore I have every right to complain about the decisions made on my behalf.

Thanks for that Jingle.

I am one of the people who actually takes the time to attend the AGM, I exercise my vote in the matters that arise at them.

Therefore I have every right to complain about the decisions made on my behalf.

Well said.
    Btw, I think this kind of (and any PROHIBITIVE) decision should be discussed at AGMs not at in an ad-hoc committee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement