Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu installation

• 27-05-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Oaky,
    So I tried installing Ubuntu (newbie :o )today and all seemed to go well. However when I went to boot from the harddisk after installation it crashed to a screen of flashing vertical lines. This used to happen when running from the CD as well until I set the VGA mode to match the cureent windows settings. However I can't seem to find this option when booting from the HD installation.
    Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Hey, when exactly do the vertical lines appear? Oh and what version of Ubuntu are you using? Is it Ubuntu Feisty or an earlier version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm using the latest Ubuntu release from the website v7.04.
    The lines appear just before the desktop should show after the orange loading bar has completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

you should try booting to recovery mode (press escape when you see a count down on the screen, and then select recovery mode in the list)

This should load to a command line. You can edit the config file with:
    # sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

You should see graphics modes at the bottom of this file, have a look at xorg.conf example files online to see how to edit it (and how to use vi, if you haven't used it before)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

vi? hardly newbie-friendly. Try using nano. Much more straightforward. Oh and www.ubuntuforums.org are a great resource.

Advertisement