Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Snug with Ulick & Greene. Newstalks unexpected gem

• 27-05-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone listen to this on a Sunday evening its 10-11 pm (ie right now)? Its best described as a ramble around the arts. I've felt an impulse to self-harm when listening to Ulick O'Conner at times in the past but here shorn of many oppotunites to make political points he proves, along with Richard Greene (who is new to me) to be exellent as one half of this double act.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I caught the show a few weeks ago in the car, and was pleasantly surprised. I would never have thought it would be stuff I would be interested in listening to / about, but I enjoyed the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Roger Greene. Hear one episode recently talking about Ginsberg and the beatnicks etc. Interesting but Ulick wrecks me head a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I think the talking history prog on just before that on a sunday is fantastic, the presenter has real enthusiam for it and directs the expert guest through the history very well, very easy to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Roger Greene used to present Media Matters on Newstalk, which was dropped when it went national. Quite a good programme, I cant understand why it was dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree about Talking History, when I catch it I'm glad I did. Who'd have guessed such progs would exist on Newstalk which during the day tends towards the mid-market tabloid style (to my mind anyway).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Yes I like that show, easy on the ear.

Yes DMC Media Matters was a good listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its a pretty good show I will say.
    Though it comes across that both presenters can be snappy with each other.
    Enjoyed them discussing the "what if" Ireland never left the commonwealth a few weeks ago.

The talking history show is very good (despite the constant req for listener texts) And the david norris show can be quite good too. The interview this week with that trade union leader was facinating

Odd that the offpeak stuff outshines their flagship programming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

mike65 wrote:
    Agree about Talking History, when I catch it I'm glad I did. Who'd have guessed such progs would exist on Newstalk which during the day tends towards the mid-market tabloid style (to my mind anyway).

Mike.

Can I add Splanc on Friday nights - an Irish language programme.

Puts the stuff like "liveline" and 2fm to shame.

Talking History is wierd - they debate history like it happened only yesterday. This is quality radio.

The Snug with Ulick & Greene is good radio. It can be a bit of a mixed bag sometimes. Still - It is good radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Cork wrote:
    Talking History is wierd - they debate history like it happened only yesterday. This is quality radio.

I caught some of that show over the weekend. Very good radio.

Advertisement