Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows and it's envoirnment

• 27-05-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

First off ,I don't work in IT ,so take my post with a pinch of salt.
    I was wondering though ,
    I've read in a couple of reviews ,people almost complain about the resources vista uses.
    And I was thinking ,does a cpu not operate better when reading directly from memory ? ,I would have thought it only helps to speed up the reading process ,and leaves the bus free for writing only.

Is this the way vista is operating ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Yes , thats exactly what Vista is doing , XP just left the memory there doing nothing , there are many articles on the Web about why its better to use the available memory instead of leaving it idle ,

however people seem to think that having 80% of memory free ( doing nothing ) was a good thing and see Vista making use of it a bad thing ,

Its not of course , I find it loads a lot of programs that I use a lot quicker than XP ever did , in particular photoshop !

This explains it very well , and also points to a situation ( gaming ) where it fell down , but that'll be fixed in the service pack I'd imagine.

To quote from the link , "unused memory is wasted memory "

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Good stuff mathias ,I bought 2GB of ram for my laptop last month . And I couldn't for the life of me ,understand why it wasn't being utilised by xp.

I think a copy of vista is on the cards for the lappie aswell:)

It doesn't seem to be the hound dog I thought it was going to be ,it's actually enjoyable using it. Genuinely happy with it.

Thanks for the advice on all the stuff in the last few weeks mathias ,much appreciated.

Advertisement