Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a room with a view

Options
  • 27-05-2007 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

anyone have any notes on this film or a link to watch it or ANYTHING AT ALL lol

i still haven't watched it all, im gonna avoid answering on it if i can but any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

ariiella wrote:
    im gonna avoid answering on it if i can

How are you going to do that??

I studied it in comparative mode. It's basically about a girl, Lucy, who's confined because of the strict social codes of her society. We can tell from her dissatisfied face at the beginning of the film that she is unhappy with the rules of her class/society. In Italy, she meets George Emerson, who offers her a world of personal freedom and self-fulfillment. Lucy initially conforms to the demands of her society and agrees to marry Cecil, who views her as a work of art, "a Leonardo," but eventually realises that true love with George is too valuable to lose. The final shot of the film depicts Lucy and George together at window, just as the first shot depicted Lucy and Charlotte together at a window, which allows us to effectively judge the personal change within Lucy. She has undergone an immense personal change, which is reflected in her loose hairstyle and clothes, and the passionate way in which she and George are acting. This completely contrasts her haughty manner and repressive clothing of the film's opening scene. The film basically revolves around the belief that true love is a powerful force to overcome all others, and that it can be achieved so long as the individual has the courage to break out of a repressive, hierarchical society. This belief is contrasted with the juxtaposing shots of Charlotte at the end of the film. She is a mirror image of her character at the film's beginning, as all her life she adhered strictly to society's rules, and is alone and lonely because of it.

There's no quotes there or anything, but its a basic synopsis of the plot and stuff. What else do you need? It'll probably help me revise.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

try this website. I'm doing it too. In my comparitives i'm referring to religion, marriage, society, snobbery, camera angles, coming to age, self acceptance as well as others.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/room/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ariiella

how im gonna avoid it is by doing the global question and only answering on two texts

but thanks for the help!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ariiella

oh what's the quote that the priest says to lucy when she's playin the piano in italy? or reverend or whatever he is - what's his name?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

Does anyone know if there's any website where I can read the script? It's a bit of hassle trying to watch the film and pick out quotes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement