Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner

• 28-05-2007 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of taking up golf, I really dont have a clue where to start.Is there any good website that identifies the key words used E.G. Par, Handicap etc.

Also I am thinking of going with a friend every weekend to leapardstown for pitch and putt to start learning the basics.

Can someone tell me if theres any good golf teaching course in south dublin?

Any comments are welcome, I am only a learner so would like information on where to start, Also information on what eqiupment is used for what purpose etc ... Hope you guys know what i mean :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

drdre wrote:
    I am thinking of taking up golf, I really dont have a clue where to start.Is there any good website that identifies the key words used E.G. Par, Handicap etc.

Also I am thinking of going with a friend every weekend to leapardstown for pitch and putt to start learning the basics.

Can someone tell me if theres any good golf teaching course in south dublin?

Any comments are welcome, I am only a learner so would like information on where to start, Also information on what eqiupment is used for what purpose etc ... Hope you guys know what i mean :)

Wiki is your only man

And yes Leopardstown is a good place for a beginner to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Just a thought - but maybe it'd be a good idea to have a sticky for beginners. The question gets asked alot and occassionally posters feel like they're being ignored when really people are just tired of answering the same question...

Sticky could include:
    *Advice (ie, take a lesson)
    *Equipment needed
    *Places to go
    etc etc

My advice: Take a lesson or two from the very very start... and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yeah definatly a good idea, get a sticky beginers thread as alot of people are making these threads over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Hi Drdre,
    My advice would be to get tickets for the Smurfit European Open in July (or any pro event).
    I don't know where you live or how hard it might be to get there, but my advice would be to go and see the professionals first hand as it will give you an idea of how the game is played...e.g etiquette, technique...head along to the practice range and absorb...

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote:
    Hi Drdre,
    My advice would be to get tickets for the Smurfit European Open in July (or any pro event).
    I don't know where you live or how hard it might be to get there, but my advice would be to go and see the professionals first hand as it will give you an idea of how the game is played...e.g etiquette, technique...head along to the practice range and absorb...

That's actually a great piece of advice... I've only ever gone to see a tour event once - Smurfit 2/3 years ago when Bjorn put three in the lake on 17 - and I went there realy excited about watching the big hitters drive the ball.

I caught up with Clarke and expected this big, fast, wide, flamboyant action toward the ball. But was stunned in a way at how controlled, compact and "slow" it was... Really gave me something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

GreenHorn wrote:
    That's actually a great piece of advice... I've only ever gone to see a tour event once - Smurfit 2/3 years ago when Bjorn put three in the lake on 17 - and I went there realy excited about watching the big hitters drive the ball.
    Yeah, I was at that one too. Poor Thomas! :eek:

Although I'm not sure how much going to an event would do for a total beginner. I mean you'd really want to know what to look out for to benefit in a meaningful way.

The best thing really is to get lessons from you're pro.

Marshy wrote:
    Yeah, I was at that one too. Poor Thomas! :eek:

The most surreal thing about it was, having watch Bjorn and Jaquelin hand the title back and forth to each other all day, then Bjorn goes and has one of his 'moments' and we're standin beside the 17th fairway goin: "Okay, so who wins now??" and someone sayd "Kenny Ferry apparently..."

So we're like: "Oh... right... let's head so..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I'm amazed he's actually been able to come back after that round. I thought his gremlins would be too strong. But in fairness he's regrouped from that.

I remember he blew the British Open Ben Curtis won as well. So there must be some mental block there.

Advertisement