Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What? PDA Phone

• 28-05-2007 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

im in the market for a pda type phone...

i have ruled out the n95, for a start..

i quite like the e90 phone but not sure when it will be released..

can anyone recommend any other good feature rich pda phone? with features such as camera, radio, office apps , mp3 etc

i had an e61 a while back and quite like it.. does anyone have any info reviews on the e61i?

is there any windows mobile 6 pda phones released yet?

thanks for your input..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

You'll have quite a long wait for the e90 on the networks anyway i'd say.

Are you planning on going sim free or buying from a network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

If you're looking for a WM6 PDA, the HTC Kaiser will be out in a month, it looks to be a cracker of a phone.
    Sliding QWERTY, 3G, EDGE, GPS, WIFI, 400mhz processor, 256mb rom, 128mb RAM (78 usable), and it's not huge either. Look it up on PDAGold, don't have the time to post a link, late for work as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Another vote for the Kaiser. Has everything. Also consider the imate JasJar, though I don't believe it has an FM radio.

It all depend on your budget - what price range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

tom dunne wrote:
    Another vote for the Kaiser. Has everything. Also consider the imate JasJar, though I don't believe it has an FM radio.

It all depend on your budget - what price range?
    gonna buy sim free and price limit 1500 euro..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

If you're looking for a WM6 PDA, the HTC Kaiser will be out in a month, it looks to be a cracker of a phone.
    Sliding QWERTY, 3G, EDGE, GPS, WIFI, 400mhz processor, 256mb rom, 128mb RAM (78 usable), and it's not huge either. Look it up on PDAGold, don't have the time to post a link, late for work as it is.

Any idea of an expected retail price for this?

Mik

• Advertisement

what_car wrote:
    gonna buy sim free and price limit 1500 euro..

Well then the likes of the Jasjar and Kaiser should fit into your budget. Also, have a look at the O2 flame - it even has tv-out. Details here.

You jammy b****** :D

tom dunne wrote:
    Well then the likes of the Jasjar and Kaiser should fit into your budget. Also, have a look at the O2 flame - it even has tv-out. Details here.

You jammy b****** :D
    i dont really like operator branded stuff ,, the xda looks nice but the o2 branding fuks it up...

i dont really know much about htc..... are they any good?
    are there any mainstream manufacturers such as hp etc that do devices with similar spec..

what_car wrote:
    i dont really like operator branded stuff ,, the xda looks nice but the o2 branding fuks it up...

I'd have to completely disagree with you on that one. I've an O2 XDA Atom and the O2 stuff that comes with it make it stand out from the crowd. There's a helluva lot of extra apps that make using it a pleasure.
    what_car wrote:
    are there any mainstream manufacturers such as hp etc that do devices with similar spec..

They are, from what I read. They make devices for the likes of HP and O2.

tom dunne wrote:
    I'd have to completely disagree with you on that one. I've an O2 XDA Atom and the O2 stuff that comes with it make it stand out from the crowd. There's a helluva lot of extra apps that make using it a pleasure.

They are, from what I read. They make devices for the likes of HP and O2.
    what sorta apps do you get with the xda?
    also can you buy one simfree and unlocked..

what about firmware updates and sw updates?

where cud i buy one..
    cheers

what_car wrote:
    what sorta apps do you get with the xda?

There's about 15 extra apps, these include a Media Center type thing for playing Music, videos, photos etc. There's a few configuration programs, including a sort of Windows update for O2 phones that allow you update the O2 software. And a really cool SMS program that displays SMS text messages with an Instant Messenger type interface, so your SMS conversations appear like and IM conversation.
    what_car wrote:
    also can you buy one simfree and unlocked..

You can, and I did.
    what_car wrote:
    what about firmware updates and sw updates?

See above. There's a Windows Update type program for O2 software, also O2 provides updated ROM images on it's website (www.see02.com).
    what_car wrote:
    where cud i buy one..
    cheers

I got mine from Expansys.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

what_car wrote:

You've probably owned a HTC rebranded device at some point already. Recently began trading under their own name "HTC".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Tech_Computer
    Check also the Toshiba G900 not out yet or the HTC advantage if you want to go BIG.(too big for your ear so get this to use it :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

what_car wrote:
    im in the market for a pda type phone...

i have ruled out the n95, for a start..

i quite like the e90 phone but not sure when it will be released..

can anyone recommend any other good feature rich pda phone? with features such as camera, radio, office apps , mp3 etc

i had an e61 a while back and quite like it.. does anyone have any info reviews on the e61i?

is there any windows mobile 6 pda phones released yet?

thanks for your input..

htc have made most of the windows mobile pda-phones and smartphones for the various operators for the past few years e.g o2 xda series, t-mobile mdas etc.
    they also make stuff like ipaqs/pda-phones for hp and qteks etc.

there's only a couple of other companies that make window
    mobile pda-phones (e.g eten, toshiba, fs etc) so htc have had a lot of experience in this area.

I would also suggest something like the kaiser (hopefully due imminently). check its specs on www.pdadb.net.
    it does not have an fm radio however.
    my impression of it from reviews is it's like the htc universal/imate jasjar/o2 xda exec only it has a nice size/weight (160g?)and is relatively thin. And it has gps.
    so it's pretty cool.

if you don't need a keyboard you could take a look at the htc trinity/p3600 www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=147988
    (same device as tmobile m700). from what I can see this has everything that the kaiser has except the keyboard. it's also about €560 so it's cheaper than the kaiser.

however you say you have a budget of €1500..wow.
    maybe you might be better suited with something like a umpc or the htc advantage www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=145430
    these devices are halfway between a pda-phone and a laptop so there more expensive -€1000 plus.
    e.g the htc advantage is like the jasjar on steroids:
    it runs wm5 and has a 624mhz processor, 8gb hd, hsdpa, bluetooth, wifi, gps, 5' screen, sliding keyboard and weighs 359g (ie not pocketable). it's over €1000.
    tbh i'm not that familiar with the advantage or the umpcs' phone capabilities but it might be what you want.
    anyway hth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

it might be a bit dated now. but you could look at the Nokia 9300i

Then again with a €1500 budget there's a lot of newer pdas out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Oh how I wish I had 1500 euro to spend on a phone! Kaiser FTW! It has everything you could possibly need.

Fill this out for some suggestions.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdamaster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a HTC Hermes, same as a Kasier except for the GPS. Its great but the battery is rubish. If you get one pick up an exchange email account somewhere online to use with it. Email is by far the killer app on them.

Rew wrote:
    Iv a HTC Hermes, same as a Kasier except for the GPS. Its great but the battery is rubish. If you get one pick up an exchange email account somewhere online to use with it. Email is by far the killer app on them.

I'd agree battery life on the these types of devices is abysmal.

For me the killer app is the FM Radio! Now that I am officially a commuter, the appeal for me is the all-in-one nature of my XDA. Radio, Mp3, Wifi, bluetooth, oh, and phone. I don't actually use e-mail on it at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv an iPod so that does the comute. Email is indespensable for me I send and recive them like text messages. The MS Push email is fantastic, they arrive instantly to the device no messing around polling for new mails. Attachments all work. Iv done orders with Dell without ever needing to pull out my laptop.

Advertisement