Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centre of motors thread bullying

Options
  • 28-05-2007 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Ok, I read the thread, went to post and noticed it's been locked.

ds20prefecture summed it up: a lad starts a new forum offering motoring advice, thread gets locked, and the OP gets banned.

Jeez lads, grow up. Ok, the OP may not have made his/her point in the best possible fashion, but I'm really lost for words here. Reminds me of the story that (I think) Bono told: it's the difference between "Some day I'm gonna get that fscker on the hill" and "Some day I'm gonna be that fscker on the hill".

Whatever mod locked the thread and banned the OP, hang your head in shame. You're nothing but a bully.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Did you read the whole thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yes junkyard, I did. And you're complicit in the bullying. I expected better from you.

Well the way I see it, this guy breezes in here make us out to be half wits and says pretty much, "come over to my forum I'm a qualified mechanic, there is nobody around here qualified like me to offer any advise, I will change this" that's an act of war buddy, I for one am a qualified mechanical engineer and served by time as a panel beater, I've worked on cars since I was 10. I'm defending my role not bullying.:mad:

junkyard, get over yourself. Do you think that you're the only one who has ever worked on a car. The herd mentality took over, and you stopped thinking for yourself with comments like "You could start an Alfa thread, that might get the ball rolling for you."

The guy is a noob. We all were at some stage. Don't try to justify the fact that you jumped on the band wagon and belittled the OP, pretty much like everyone else did (ds20prefecture excepted) on that thread.

You've nothing to be proud of.

I don't think this guy is quite the noob you make him out to be, in fact if I recall he admitted being on boards albeit under a different guise. Even I wouldn't have the balls to set up an opposition forum and come on here trying to hijack what in my view is a perfectly good forum. If people don't make a stand for something they believe in, very soon there won't be anything.

• Advertisement

junkyard, don't deflect from the fact that you've been complicit in the bullying. He is a noob, but as he alludes to, he's been a lurker. Like we all were before we had the balls to make our first post.

Your lack of balls has nothing to do with it.

Loads of bad and mis-information going around here, no harm that someone has set up a forum where people who know what they're talking about post (junkyard, you could be one of them).

But that's not the point. Boards.ie is not Microsoft, and the instruments of Boards.ie, aided and abetted by regular posters, should not bully anyone.

JHMEG wrote:

Loads of bad and mis-information going around here, no harm that someone has set up a forum where people who know what they're talking about post.

And do you think his forum is going to be any different? I don't think so. I'm not going to stay on here all night arguing with you JHMEG, your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. The way I see it this guy was trying to hi-jack this forum, end of story. If you don't like it maybe you should consider joining his one.

junkyard wrote:
    And do you think his forum is going to be any different? I don't think so. I'm not going to stay on here all night arguing with you JHMEG, your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. The way I see it this guy was trying to hi-jack this forum, end of story. If you don't like it maybe you should consider joining his one.

The way I see it junkyard is that you were bullying, along with the rest of them.

Whether his forum is better or not than this one is a moot point. It might be, it might not be, but you're not the one who decides.

The way I see it JHMEG if people like this come in here trying to hi-jack forums it will be only a matter of time before we have ads in between threads and your dead right, I'm not the one who decides and neither are you, that's the moderators job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

In a way, I'm sitting on the fence,on this one. I agree with JMHEG that I thought his thread was shot down with an air of "who the fúck are you coming around here" but although I always have a look here daily and take note of the posters that know the car industry inside out, I never knew that they were qualified mechanics or industry insiders..Many people will(and can be) experts in some sort of field even if not qualified even if it's not there bread and butter.
    Maybe "centre" wasn't around here long enough(how long is daily??) to know that there are members of the trade posting but in my lengthy time viewing Motors only a few of you have actually posted that you are qualified mechanics.
    Junkyard I know by reading anything you post you've got some connection to the motor trade but with all your posts I've read,you've only now let me know what your links and expertise in the trade is.
    I just thought you were some crazy bástard with loads of money and into cars:D ,I now know, in a way your car background. Same goes to Volvoboy,I only found out a few days ago he to is in the trade,due to the fact he posted that he served as a panel beater.I never read this before and MY GOD now I understand the guys love of older(if strange;) ) choice of cars to bring back to former glory.
    Bottom line, the regulars give great advice here and long may it continue. I'm still only officially by posts, finding out the people in the trade,even though you get the idea over time but I would've thought that COM could've been better treated on this forum.
    I understand that pimping other sites doesn't go down well but maybe if he knew that many trade people already post here he could've been welcomed(and nicely cautioned/post edited for pimping)we could have another voice of wisdom to help others here.Why couldn't he be told to put his site in his sig. TBH alot of you have links to other forums in your sig.
    I'm not having a go at anyone I've mentioned above,you're only examples of posters I know a little bit more about after reading your recent posts.
    I love my daily reading here cause I love cars but it ain't a clique and please don't let this part of Boards go like some of the other forums where you get that "you ain't welcome here stranger" feel.

**runs for the hills**

• Advertisement

That's a fair comment tax man but he did come in here and basically tried to make us regulars out to be Muppets, he was welcome to join in just like the rest of us did at one time or another, he was welcome to offer advice on this forum, which he didn't I might add, and the nail in the coffin, as far as I'm concerned was the " I will change this, thank you" comment.P.S. tax man I don't have loads of money, I only have an adequate amount of it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Why was the other thread locked, mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I fail to understand why you feel so threatened by the guy, JY. As far as I can see of your posts here, you're generally very helpful to other users (notwithstanding an occasional blinkered approach to a lot of car brands).

Granted the guy could have got to know the place and its regulars before making claims like his but I'm wondering what his bannable offence was? And having had him banned, yourself and colm_mcm's grave dancing did you no favours.

PS - I came across this great site for mechanical advice - maybe you should wander over there and lend a hand?
    www.centreofmotors.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I would guess it was because the guy was spamming his site around boards, simple fact of the matter is you have to pay to advertise on boards and this guy obviously wasnt.

Doesnt make a difference if he was advertising a horse shoe making centre or a motoring centre, the thread would have been locked up.

JHMEG, you really are taking this way too personally. Those type of threads and posters are around boards.ie everyday and the same results always come about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote:
    ds20prefecture summed it up: a lad starts a new forum offering motoring advice, thread gets locked, and the OP gets banned.
    Wrong order. I received a PM from the poster asking if I would post on their new forum to make it look busy. Following which I came in here and noticed they had posted in here. I banned them from the motors forums and then made a site ban request to the admins which was promptly followed up. I did not lock the thread until yesterday (IIRC). I did not lock the thread immediatley as some boardsters had posted there and I decided to leave it open.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Whatever mod locked the thread and banned the OP, hang your head in shame. You're nothing but a bully.
    I am? Why?
    JHMEG wrote:
    The guy is a noob. We all were at some stage. Don't try to justify the fact that you jumped on the band wagon and belittled the OP, pretty much like everyone else did (ds20prefecture excepted) on that thread.
    I don't care if they are a noob or an internet expert. They could have read the rules firstly. Secondly, as they are setting up a forum themselves they should be aware of the ettiquette about spamming.
    Lastly I felt that the OP had tried to promote a motoring related site claiming to be this that and the other but actually gave no real incentive for anyone to believe them. Had they made a respectable element of contribution to boards then maybe the outcome might have been different (doubtful) but in this case very little thought was given to their banning.
    As for the belittling of the OP - where exactly were they belittled? What about the belittling of boards member through the use of spam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

junkyard seems to be one of the most elitest & arrogant people I've come accross on here to date. In every one of his replies, he talks about how many cars he has and sticks his nose up at other people. He'd eat out his own ass if he could reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have a problem with the moderation of a forum, then you PM the mod in question or post on Feedback.

This is not the place for it.

Killian, feel free to lock this or move it to Feedback.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If fairness the other site seems to have 2 posters and really does not offer anything more than Boards, bit like going for a new government hey!! "Devil you know than u don't know" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    junkyard seems to be one of the most elitest & arrogant people I've come accross on here to date. In every one of his replies, he talks about how many cars he has and sticks his nose up at other people. He'd eat out his own ass if he could reach.

In fairness, this type of post is uneccessary. Even if you have a problem with Junkyard ( And I have to say that I don't find him as you decribe), a pm to him would be far more productive than this, which is exaggerated and inflammatory.

This is NOT the way Boards should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

overdriver wrote:
    In fairness, this type of post is uneccessary. Even if you have a problem with Junkyard ( And I have to say that I don't find him as you decribe), a pm to him would be far more productive than this, which is exaggerated and inflammatory.

This is NOT the way Boards should go.
    Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Cool!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My 2c on this (seeing as I also joined in on the banter on the original thread).

First off, I don't see any "bullying" of centreofmotors on the other thread. A few questions were asked as to what he/she hoped to achieve from their new forum but the answer seemed (to me anyway) to be a somewhat condescending "I'm an expert"-style response.

Besides in either case, as far as I'm aware Boards isn't the place to be advertising your new site (unless obviously you pay for the privilege) so I'm with KB and the rest on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dr. Seuss wrote:
    Fair enough.

That just saved yourself from a ban. Play nice in future, Dr. Seuss

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    If you have a problem with the moderation of a forum, then you PM the mod in question or post on Feedback.

This is not the place for it.

Killian, feel free to lock this or move it to Feedback.
    thread moved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hav'nt read the thread all the way up to its locking point, but it struck me as Junkyard describes it, followed by a lot of silly parody. The only thing missing was a kitten yawning saying "YOU NEWB!"

Anyway if thats bullying, some should stay well clear of the Politics and Conspiracy Theories forums.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Banning someone for spamming is not bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

noob1nw8.jpg

Just for Mike65:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Whatever about Politics and CT, Classic Cars is becoming a hotbed of dissension at the moment, due to a couple of malcontent n00bs who don't understand how civilised discussion fora actually operate.

This thread is a far cry from bullying. At the risk of reinventing the wheel, the OP solicited traffic for their site via pm, and then proceeded to second guess everybody on the Motors forum by claiming their shiny new website was the only place to receive solid advice.

That was never going to go down well.

The only bullying I saw on the thread in question was an unsolicited insult thrown at a respected contributor, who has offered more help and advice via pm and in person to boardsies than many people may be aware of.

If it were me, they'd have taken at least a week off for their trainwreck of a post, but that of course is just my opinion.

Oh, and to our motoring correspondents, welcome to Feedback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mike65 wrote:
    The only thing missing was a kitten yawning saying "YOU NEWB!"

Sorry ,I am a dog person:
    stfunoob.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I just referenced that pic in relation to another thread about two minutes ago...

Great minds...

Advertisement