Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

centre of motors thread bullying

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Well in fairness, I only stood up for what I believed in. If every Tom, Dick and Harry started up splinter forums for different subjects they'd be scattered all over the place. Thanks for the support those who supported me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

not a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A somewhat noob puts up a post about his new forum, and gets blasted.

Some of those that did the blasting are now trying to defend themselves.

Could there be a better motors forum than motors forum on boards? Yes there could (and there are many already).

Were words of encouragement issued? Instead, a microsoft type stance was taken, not by boards, but by a couple of its loyalists.

Of course I have to take kbannon's word for it that he alone was PMed by the OP which eventually led to him locking the thread, and that he wasn't just following the crowd.

Ironically, junkyard, the person who has argued most with me over this, doesn't seem to have declared his skill level over on the How Much of a Mechanic Are You thread.

In my mind it's clear what went on here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

1. The original post was equivalent to spam/pimping enough to get a thread locked and a user banned on any forum, which it did. If you call it blasting then blasting it is. If you're referring to normal posters blasting him I can't see that either, maybe quote those instances here?

2. The OP sent out spam via PM, also a bannable offence

3. I see no bullying anywhere on the thread, and would be on the defensive myself if I'd seen it before it was locked. Can you quote the instances of bullying here please.

4. Refering to forum users, this comment is very trolly and from a newb could also result in a warning if he/she hadn't been banned for spam
    non of them have people in the motor trade

JHMEG wrote:
    Were words of encouragement issued?
    Best of luck to him or her with the site but spam/pimping isn't encouraged or welcomed on boards.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Of course I have to take kbannon's word for it that he alone was PMed by the OP which eventually led to him locking the thread, and that he wasn't just following the crowd.
    You're insinuating KB made this up you should take it to PM.
    JHMEG wrote:
    Ironically, junkyard, the person who has argued most with me over this, doesn't seem to have declared his skill level over on the How Much of a Mechanic Are You thread.
    Don't see what this has to do with anything really. Anyway, Junkyard said "Plenty of people in the motor trade around here already" he is in the motortrade, his, or anyone else's qualifications are irrelevant and none of our business.

Anyway quote the problematic posts as you see them and maybe suggest what action you want to see or how the forum could be improved as a result of this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

JHMEG wrote:
    Ok, I read the thread, went to post and noticed it's been locked.

If you are going to come into Feedback to complain about something, it would be nice if you would post a link to the offending thread for those of us who have no clue what you are on about.
    ds20prefecture summed it up: a lad starts a new forum offering motoring advice, thread gets locked, and the OP gets banned.

Boards is not here for people to spam their wares, and it certainly is not here to give out free advertising willy nilly. If you wish to advertise your site then you pay for the advertising space like everyone else does.
    Spamming Boards or trying to get in a free advert is a site banning offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Beruthiel wrote:
    If you are going to come into Feedback to complain about something, it would be nice if you would post a link to the offending thread for those of us who have no clue what you are on about.

In fairness, this was posted in motors and moved to feedback, so no link was needed in the oroginal post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JHMEG wrote:
    A somewhat noob puts up a post about his new forum, and gets blasted.
    Well maybe they should have read the charter! Given that they were spamming for the benefit of their own forum I would presume that they are aware of internet ettiquette!
    JHMEG wrote:
    Could there be a better motors forum than motors forum on boards? Yes there could (and there are many already).
    What has that got to do with anything?
    JHMEG wrote:
    Were words of encouragement issued?
    To the spammer? When I came onto boards that time I immediatley replied to the PM. I then looked around and noticed that they had posted on the forum. I then banned them from the motors section and requested that the admins implement a site ban. Why would I need to encourage the poster?
    JHMEG wrote:
    Are you doubting me? Have I been known to lie before? Why would I bother my arsé making all this up?
    JHMEG wrote:
    I wasn't aware that there was an obligation on posters to reply to threads
    JHMEG wrote:
    In my mind it's clear what went on here.
    Don't keep it a secret!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Beruthiel wrote:
    Centreofmotors

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Yup
    Clear cut, site ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

A number of people feel that things were handled all wrong on that thread.

Someone had to speak out for the OP, since he couldn't.

I'm not going to debate thid anymore as obviously I'm not going to be able to change anything, but I am clear on what went on and who was involved.

Btw a group of people poking fun at someone, directly or indirectly amounts to bullying, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JSmeg wrote:
    Btw a group of people poking fun at someone, directly or indirectly amounts to bullying.

Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

JHMEG wrote:
    A number of people feel that things were handled all wrong on that thread.

Someone had to speak out for the OP, since he couldn't.

I'm not going to repeat myself as obviously I'm not going to be able to change anything, but I am clear on what went on and who was involved.

Btw a group of people poking fun at someone, directly or indirectly amounts to bullying.

OK, Ive had a quick read down of whats happened, and heres a few of my thoughts....

boards.ie is a strange beast. a lot of people post here. they have done so for a very long time. many people contribute, and get warm fuzzy feelings when they do. they feel a part of something.
    sometimes, when someone comes along, and is seen to somehow 'challenge' boards.ie in some way, people get a bit arsey. i know. ive done it on many on occassion.
    now, im not saying its right, and im not saying its wrong, im just saying it happens. and this appears to be hwat has happened in this instance.

i have to say, im not adverse to people putting up links to sites, as long as they are not pay sites, and they are not advertising, and they offer some sort of service relative to the topic. ive been doing this for a long time in the work forum, and it works fine. ok, sometimes, theres a fine line and you make a judgement call, and youre not always right, but thats another issue.

in this case, i think they site was fine. but....
    its not my decision to make. there are a lot of mods here that make a lot of decisions. i dont always agree, and i often question them, but i will always (nearly always) respect their right to do what is best for the forum they moderate.

what you have to understand is there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to deal with things. and there are no proceedures for doing so either. nor will there be until boards.ie becomes a business, and we get paid fo it!

however, with regards the issue at hand, if the mod felt the thread was going way off topic and wasnt adding tothe forum, then they have the right to lock it. a moderator is not appointed to mod every thread. their purpose is to ensure the smooth running of a forum. i think the motors guys do a really good job of it. i dont agree with all their decisions, but they are good guys, their hearts are in the right place, and you know what, you cant ask more than that.

with regards the bullying, yes i can see what youre talking about. that brings me back to the boards.ie threat mentality. people saw competition and jumped onit. i dont see any competition from your link (no offence) and i dont expect a mass exodus from boards.ie :)

with regards to any mention of who is a better mechanic, well, you guys can piss in the breeze for all i care about mechanial skills. thats not what these forums are about. there have been forums where 'experts' have made themselves at home, but when someone makes a decision they dont like, they leave becuase they realise they are not the biggest dog on the block. i dont care who can do what with a rotory motor, the mod is still in charge. until you get someone in a garage, and off boards.ie, it makes jack all to this site. you are not your leet mechanic skills. i hope ive made that very clear?

i personally have no issue with the motors mods letting anyone post. i think its silly to let talented people drift away, but more importantly, its better to have a forum that runs smoothly. but that doesnt have to mean bans. it means we have to look at the process. perhaps the mods will look at the situation re bannings and locking off topic threads (personally, i hate locking off topic threads, i feel they should meander to their hearts content. far more useful info comes from them over time, and who really has the right to say how far is too far off topic? but thats another debate for another day).

so, its in the hands of the motors mods. if they feel that too much has been made, and that bridges are burnt, then i will support them. if they feel that some leniancy should be given, then im with them as well. its their forum.

but i hope this may have at least addressed some of the challenges you had?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Site pimping isn't allow... its as simple as there....

the Irish Times is not going to publish free ads for the Examiner or Herald....

I run a online forum... but I challenge you to find the address in the 6 years I have been posting on boards... I happily post on here , but feel it would be very unfair of me to try and direct traffic over using this sites resources...

on the other hand, if you site pimp on my site you will be site banned so quickly you head will spin....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jhegarty wrote:
    Site pimping isn't allow... its as simple as there....
    Pimping no, however things are mature enough that if a site gets mentioned that its a problem. Nobody objects when politics.ie forum.platform11.org or htireland get mentioned, simply because the proponents of those boards give and share with boards.ie. centre of motors seemd to be about me, me, me!
    on the other hand, if you site pimp on my site you will be site banned so quickly you head will spin....
    Ah, but DeVore bans you before you finish the sign up process!

Advertisement