Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send Enda Kenny a Calculator

Options
  • 28-05-2007 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

How can this man not see that it is impossible for him to form a government. Harney won't touch him as she's cut from FF cloth, much the same as Jackie and Bev. plus a 4 party plus independent kaliedascope wouldn't last the 100 days he needs to examine all the country's problems:D :D

It doesn't add up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This warranted a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

He's just playing a game. I'm actually enjoying it. I'm looking forward watching RTE news when he finally concedes the election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

It doesn't add up!

Neither do Bertie's dodgy finances and payments from business people, which enriched him until he was caught out.

Kenny may not be able to form a Government, but whatever Government Bertie scrambles together from hasbeens, and gombeens won't last very long either!

Putting Harney back in charge of the Health department is an insult to the Irish electorate, including FF voters themselves who did not transfer to the PDs in a way that would indicate such support, hence their demise.

Plus Bertie still has the tribunal to face and answer questions to (another proud moment for our country!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

A touch ironic, that if he only used a calculator, he could get into Govt, but when you apply reality, he can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Chakar wrote:
    He's just playing a game. I'm actually enjoying it. I'm looking forward watching RTE news when he finally concedes the election.
    lol, how petty you are. In that case the rest of us will be looking forward to Bertie Ahern's final speech to the Dail when he follows in the footsteps of his mentor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This thread and the McDowell thread are ugly examples of schadenfreude. Really it's all getting a bit silly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

i'm looking forward to the rest of the mahon tribunal myself, but i'm not sure if anything will stick.

in most european countries the whole blank cheque thing would have been enough to get the sack

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

in most european countries the whole blank cheque thing would have been enough to get the sack

In some, in others it would barely raise an eyebrow among the public. Not meaning to make it sound trivial, it's just useful to have a bit of perspective when making such comparisons imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

i'm looking forward to the rest of the mahon tribunal myself, but i'm not sure if anything will stick.

...sure didn't an MP in England get the shove for giving away a Government issued first class train ticket to a friend??! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

nesf wrote:
    In some, in others it would barely raise an eyebrow among the public. Not meaning to make it sound trivial, it's just useful to have a bit of perspective when making such comparisons imho.

Where exactly wouldn't it raise eyebrows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If all it does is give the Greens/Independants the upper hand in neogtiations it will have been worthwhile IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JerkyBoy wrote:
    Putting Harney back in charge of the Health department is an insult to the Irish electorate, including FF voters themselves who did not transfer to the PDs in a way that would indicate such support, hence their demise.

The electorate voted Harney back in.

Stark wrote:

Just barely...it's clear that the PD's have a miniscule mandate and that overall they have been rejected by the electorate.

Mary scraped by and her party has been liquidated.

This would suggest that the electorate reject PD health policy among the rest.

To put Mary back in charge of Health, when her party and it's policies have such a miniscule mandate is an insult to 98% of people who do not support her and her party!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

nesf wrote:

yes, in italy nothing would have happened

but do we really want to start comparing ourselves with italy...

JerkyBoy wrote:
    Just barely...!
    In fairness now there were quite a few FG td's who had similar margins of election and at least one that I know of that got in without reaching a quota.

Honestly the scraping of the bottom of the barrell to find things to post here amuses me as much as it depresses others.

Tristrame wrote:
    In fairness now there were quite a few FG td's who had similar margins of election and at least one that I know of that got in without reaching a quota.

What's that got to do with the Mary's role in health?

I'm not advocating that a FGer who scraped by be given the Health ministry.
    So what's your point?

Talk about scrapping the barrel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

we seem to have the same attitude to politicians receiving money as the French do to their politicians having mistresses. Even the President of France gets away with thast carry on and god knows mistresses are very expensive (maybe someone cud confirm this...)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Stark wrote:
    The 'electorate' in Dublin Mid-West voted Harney back in. Don't tarnish all of us with the same brush ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

FG's biggest mistake was running extra candidates in areas where they would have got a running mate in if FG HQ had not imposed extra candidates. Waterford, Carlow/Kilkenny. That combined with the arrogance of the sitting FG TD caused their downfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Gosh wrote:
    The 'electorate' in Dublin Mid-West voted Harney back in. Don't tarnish all of us with the same brush ...

ie: She was elected. Do you know how the system works in this country? Do you think Bertie was unfairly elected because only the electorate in Dublin Central voted for him? Do you think Enda was unfairly elected because only the electorate in Mayo voted for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Do you actually think Bev would say no to Mayomen as both Taoiseach and Tanaiste??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's not beyond reality the FG could still lead a coalition into government - but it's unlikely if he'd want to.

He could put FG, LAB, Greens, PDs, and all or most of the Indepentents toether and get 84 seats. And if they get to get an FFer as CC (Currently Rory Hanlon) then they'd have 85.
    That should be enough to see off FF and SF who'd be at 81.

But would FG want to do that? I'd say that they would be reluctant to do so as chances are that this arrangement wouldn't last very long. And another election might happen with FG in a poorer light than they would if they were in opposition. And this in mind a overall majority for FF could very well become a reality again.

My prediction for what will happen now is that FF will not make up the numbers with anyone else to get into power. In the end, Kenny goes nuclear and requests that he be voted as taoiseach by the other parties purely for the purpose of calling another election after a particularly damning revelation emerging from Mahon.

Sin é. Quite unlikely, of course.

ninty9er wrote:
    How can this man not see that it is impossible for him to form a government. Harney won't touch him as she's cut from FF cloth, much the same as Jackie and Bev. plus a 4 party plus independent kaliedascope wouldn't last the 100 days he needs to examine all the country's problems:D :D

It doesn't add up!

Politics is all about compromise and securing election promises with your mandate.

I wouldn't rule anything out. My opinion is Kenny should try for it simply to pressurise FF and keep labour out of bed with FF.

Personally I doubt any prospective FF + IND + PD government will go the five years either. Healy Rae is too old, Bev could be declared bankrupt by RTE hence loose her seat, Lowry may make another visit to the tribunal Bertie as we know may have misled the tribunal.

The greens may be demanding too much of FF.

Personally I think labour is the best Bertie could hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Myth wrote:
    My prediction for what will happen now is that FF will not make up the numbers with anyone else to get into power. In the end, Kenny goes nuclear and requests that he be voted as taoiseach by the other parties purely for the purpose of calling another election after a particularly damning revelation emerging from Mahon.

Sin é. Quite unlikely, of course.
    Ahh, then we're screwed. Having two elections in the space of as many months has been tried before in Ireland. It's not conducive to a healthy economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

JerkyBoy wrote:

I don't agree, I think the public recognise that she is doing her best in a tough position. She has made definite improvements and I think the public would be content to give her more time to complete her reforms.

There is little doubt that FF poor rate of transfer to the PD's we due to the Mc Dowell factor rather than a poor refelction on Harney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't agree, I think the public recognise that she is doing her best in a tough position. She has made definite improvements and I think the public would be content to give her more time to complete her reforms.

There is little doubt that FF poor rate of transfer to the PD's we due to the Mc Dowell factor rather than a poor refelction on Harney.

Veering slightly off topic. The report on MS support is just another brick in the health service crumbling wall. How can we conclude that progress was being made under the great lady's watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does Harney still want carers to be means tested?

That was Rabbittes most popular policy, aboloshing means testing for carers.

Nurses wanting a pay increase for less than a 39 hour working week!

Try looking after someone for sixteen hours a day, 365 days a year for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd send Enda my calculator, but Bertie's currently using it to figure out where all the money came from ;)

Advertisement