Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 4 Meg synchronous broadband???

Options
  • 28-05-2007 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

On Magnets Products page for BB, they have NO details of their BB package only "4/8 Meg synchronous broadband" What is this???

They used to have Full details like..speed up and down,download allowance, price per GB of overdownload limit...anyone any info on whats going on??

cramp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Seems kind of stupid if they are offering contention free broadband to not brag about it.

Although this might be them subtley changing their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

its not contention free...

its a synchronous line, ie you can download at a rate of 8mb while also uploading at 4mb.

its contention ratio i think is like 18:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

synchronous

I do not think that word means what you think it means. Symmetric maybe? and by the looks of your post actually means Asymmetric

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Boston wrote:
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Inconceivable!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Got an email with the business package details:
    ADSL - No contention, 4Mb down, 512 up.
    They can go up to 8Mb down and 1Mb up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

its a synchronous line, ie you can download at a rate of 8mb while also uploading at 4mb.

Incorrect. The 4mb/8mb packages they mention on their site are the FTTH packages ( Fibre-Connected Houses around dublin, not very widespread )

The unadvertised package is the ADSL2+ LLU Service, which is 4mbps/512kbps ( if you have a good line, expect this to be 6mbps/1mbps ) and 8mbps/512kbps ( again, if you have a good line the upload will be up to 1mbps ).

Also, the ADSL2+ is supposed to be uncontented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

JNive wrote:
    Incorrect. The 4mb/8mb packages they mention on their site are the FTTH packages ( Fibre-Connected Houses around dublin, not very widespread )

The unadvertised package is the ADSL2+ LLU Service, which is 4mbps/512kbps ( if you have a good line, expect this to be 6mbps/1mbps ) and 8mbps/512kbps ( again, if you have a good line the upload will be up to 1mbps ).

Also, the ADSL2+ is supposed to be uncontented.

it is. it's one of the best services in ROI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im on their adsl2 top package.
    its rated at 8mbps but i generally get in and around 12mbps downloads

dont upload much but uve seen it at 200kBps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Check before posting stupid stuff like that matt-dublin.

Magnet contention ratio is 1:1 for their ADSL2+ service. Best broadband I ever got!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

me too :-)

and i used the word supposed, since there is no actual way of verifying it from an end-users view of it, other than testing out the theory lol. And in my experience it is uncontended ( Dennehys Cross Exchange in Cork )

• Advertisement
Advertisement