Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which LCD tv.. absolutely CLUELESS

• 28-05-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi ive got a voucher for DID.ie and want to get my first LCD tv.
    would like help for someone to recommend a brand / model in
    or around the 32" - 42" €1000-€1500 mark.

here's their catalog..
    http://www.didstore.com/store_subcat.asp?catid=14&subid=195&offset=10

Are any makes miles better than others?
    please advise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In general Sony & Samsung make fairly decent LCD TV's so you can go too wrong with one of those.

40" Sony Bravia KDL40S2530 €1459 - Tech specs on Sony's site, a good display does up to 720p but also accepts 1080i but scales it down to it's own panels resolution so it's not really all that useful. Nice range of inputs and Sony's Bravia panels have good picture quality.

40" SAMSUNG LE-40R82B €1459, Tech specs has ever so slightly betters specs than the Sony bit it's hard to say if one is better than the other without staring at both TV's showing the same image in front of you. It does come with more inputs and 3 HDMI ports vs 2 on the Sony. Again this is a 720p display that also accepts 1080i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I'd HIGHLY recommend buying a couple of mags (What Home Cinema for example) to give you some background (e.g. why stuck on LCD...plasma is good).

Go for 40/42" if you're room is big enough. If you can stretch it to €1900 go for the Sharp LC-42XD1E...only tv I've seen always get excellent reviews no matter the mag or web page.

I couldn't stretch it that far and got a Samsung Plasma (brilliant picture and looks great, sound ok) but I don't recognise any of the samsungs that DID have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ComeOnMeath

40" SAMSUNG LE-40R82B

I have the predecessor to this TV, i.e. 40R72B. Very happy with it and you will be too. Very good reception off Sky Box with DVD being excellent. Black levels are also excellent. You will not be disappointed ;)

Go for it! BTW if you are thinking that 40" is too big for a small room, it's not. I recommend at least 7/8 feet sitting distance, if you can manage this, its just fine. Also staring at both in DID just might look crap on both with shared cables, so dont be put off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

thanks for all the replies.. think im going for the samsung
    cheers... ill probably be back on asking how to use the thing next!!!! :p

Went up and had a look last night and this tv also caught my eye

PHILIPS
    37PFL7332
    37" Widescreen flat TV with Pixel Plus 2 HD

37PFL7332.jpg

HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals
    Pixel Plus 2 HD improves details in standard TV and HDTV
    Dynamic contrast enhancer delivering rich black details
    Digital Natural Motion produces smooth
    judder free images
    Virtual Dolby Surround for a cinema-like audio experience
    Compact and slim design that fits in every room
    Dual HDMI input for full digital High Definition connection

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=37PFL7332&subid=195

This seems like a winner... good price and while the SHARP was absolutely stunning.. the 42 inch is just that little bit too big!
    Anyone else have this or think of a reason why i shouldnt go for the Philips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

how big is the room you'll be watching it in....

no point getting a 42 inch screen if your going to be sitting 2 foot away from it....everything will look crap/pixalated on it..

get the right sized tv for your sitting room

It's all about the throw distance

http://www.dtvcity.com/plasmatv/plasmascreensize.html

Ill be sitting 9-10 feet away.
    so 37 incher would be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

there you go....decision made...go buy it

there you go....decision made...go buy it
    before i change my mind... good idea

Advertisement