Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying in the UK

Options
  • 28-05-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Ok, I'm not looking for VRT, etc questions but simply a matter of travelling to the UK with cash. I am going to fly over, but will there be any problems with carrying a large amount of cash through the airport? i.e. will customs give me grief? Think I'm a drug smuggler! :)

Anyone any experience of this?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

dont you have to declare it...? that sounds familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Why are you bringing cash? I think most people get a sterling draft, made out to the vendor. Or are you hoping to go over on spec & pick something on the day & bring it back? Maybe check to see if you can use a credit card, put the money in the credit card account & pay this way?
    Don't think it would be wise to bring cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Why are you bringing cash? I think most people get a sterling draft, made out to the vendor. Or are you hoping to go over on spec & pick something on the day & bring it back? Maybe check to see if you can use a credit card, put the money in the credit card account & pay this way?
    Don't think it would be wise to bring cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I brought cash (although not a huge amount). Depends on whether you're buying from a dealer or a private sale, but most private sales would prefer cash, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Customs are unlikely to spot it or search you, if they do have some print outs of the cars you are going to look at, if they want they can ring the vendor to check you out. A draft is not much good to you unless you already know the exact amount and are going to look at a car you are buying from only one dealer. Cash is king :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the cash sterling or euro?
    You could use a check or a card, unless it's private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Thanks for the replies so far.

As Tipsy Mac says cash is king. I am going to buy and the problem is the seller is wary of sterling drafts given the recent spate of scams. He'd prefer cash. The problem I have with cash is getting through customs, I wouldn't fancy being held and questioned, searched for no reason at all. Does anyone know if there's a limit? I tried contacting customs, but guess what, no one bleeding knows for sure. All they can say is that there is a limit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

jayok wrote:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

As Tipsy Mac says cash is king. I am going to buy and the problem is the seller is wary of sterling drafts given the recent spate of scams. He'd prefer cash. The problem I have with cash is getting through customs, I wouldn't fancy being held and questioned, searched for no reason at all. Does anyone know if there's a limit? I tried contacting customs, but guess what, no one bleeding knows for sure. All they can say is that there is a limit!

Get it in fifties and it will fit into a handy sized envelope, chances are you won't even be checked on it. 10k limit is entering my head for some reason. I brought £6k recently and no one batted an eyelid in security.

You shouldn't tell the seller you are bringing cash. Make up some story like you'll get it off your CC in the Bureau de Change or something if your happy with the car or get it Western Union etc. It's better than just being blatant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    A draft is not much good to you unless you already know the exact amount and are going to look at a car you are buying from only one dealer. Cash is king :D

Used a draft to buy from a dealer - no problems. A good tip is to get it made out for less than the asking price - leaves some room for on the day bargaining. You can pay any difference with your credit card. By the way the car is going great a year later - 03 Honda Accord Exec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

digitaldr wrote:
    Used a draft to buy from a dealer - no problems. A good tip is to get it made out for less than the asking price - leaves some room for on the day bargaining. You can pay any difference with your credit card. By the way the car is going great a year later - 03 Honda Accord Exec

Yes but if say the cars is not the one you want but the draft is made out to X motors will you not have a problem should you decide to buy the car down the road at Y motors? Can a draft be quickly refunded and a new one reissued, probably not in the space of time that buyer will be in UK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement