Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf and camp in West Cork

Options
  • 28-05-2007 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a location in West-Cork to surf and camp for the coming bank holiday weekend.
    Surfing level is only beginner-intermediate. Maybe with a surf-school for the girlfriend too.
    The camping should be pretty basic, somewhere close enough to the sea with shower facilities, with not many kids and no knackers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Surfing_Smurf

Instead of going to Cork you should head to Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal this wknd, the Rory Gallagher festival is on, campsite provided, plus there's loads of great spots around both for beginner and advanced surfers. Bundoran Surf Co. (4 miles away) provides ordinary surfing lessons for all stages and also kitesurfing lessons, but you may have to book the latter in advance (0719841968). Also, Donegal Adventure centre offers lessons. But I am on here to let people know about a camping trip being organised in July from Clare to West Cork, there's already about 20 of us going but we've decided to extend the invitation to as many random people that wanna come! So if I hear of any really nice spots I'll be sure to let you know. And if you and your girlfriend and some mates wanna come, the more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Ballyshannon and Rory Gallagher that's right I was up there and Bundoran a few weeks ago, best of luck, I'm heading to Cork for a change of scenery, I've already gotton wet in most of the West coast:)

inchydoney looks like a possibility too, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Don't know of any campsites to be honest, maybe the one near Garrettstown in Cork. To be honest you'll probably be roughing it, no showers, toilets etc.

Result.
    Yeah Garrettstown is the camping spot alright, large/quiet friendly campsite (more of a Mobile home site) only 1 mile from the beach, Old Head of Kinsale.
    There was some lovely surf there at the weekend, only about 2-3ft but very good for beginners, very safe, no rip, but I was told it's not very frequent that the surf is that good there, smashing spot though, with a pub up the hill from the beach too as a bonus. They also managed to pull out the sun for the weekend which was nice of them too:p

Was told there was a more rad surf about 20 miles west of there, on some sand dunes, very sharp dangerous decline in the beach but supposed to be a great surf spot, anyone know of it? I heard there were about 40 surfers there on Sunday.

Good stuff, sounds like you had a good weekend then :) How much was camping at that site?

That spot about 20 miles west is Castlefreke, it's a pretty steep beach with the swell coming out of very deep water which makes it quite a bit heavier than garrettstown. 40 guys out seems to be the norm these days, with plenty of attitude for some reason.

• Advertisement

Yeah great spot, think I was poxed with the surf and weather.
    The camp was 16per night (2 people 1 tent), lovely site, it's on an old estate.
    Well worth a look.

Not too bad, and is there full shower and toilet facilities? Might spend a few nights down there over the summer

Yeah showers, 50c for 6mins, you get a token in reception (6mins is way too long I never realized before), place is immaculate.
    Kitchen with fridges, laundry, all of that stuff. There's a section up the back which is stepped lawn and is used for tents, they also leave the large common lawn area in front of the mobile homes available for tents, the stepped section at the back is nicely sheltered.
    It's only a mile from the beach and as I said the pub is up the hill beside the beach.

Advertisement