Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Laser Card gov stamp duty

Options
  • 28-05-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭

Got a letter from AIB informing me my ATM will now be replaced by a Laser card. So it arrived during the week, but my question is will I now have to pay €20 gov stamp duty as opposed to €10?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

apparently only 10 if u don't use the laser to buy things, 20 if u do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

TheDriver wrote:
    apparently only 10 if u don't use the laser to buy things, 20 if u do.
    Were you told this by someone in AIB or did I miss it in the terms and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It was in a leaflet i got and also in the local branch.Only thing is that if someone steals it, they can use the laser part if they have your pin or use a sign place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You only pay it if you use the laser/maestro part of the card.

It is a government stamp duty (so complain to them), and not a charge imposed by the bank.

A debit card is in fact very handy and well worth the €10 (but out of priciple, you should complain to your newly elected TDs taht it be removed to encourage more use of debit cards).

Everybody will have to use debit cards in the next few years anyway as cheques become obsolete (2011).

Same answer as your other post on the matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Everybody will have to use debit cards in the next few years anyway as cheques become obsolete (2011)

eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

eh?

Cheques - us Irish seem to love 'em. Everyone else hates them. They're being phased out over the next few years. All EU countries have commited to a deadline which I think is 2011. Debit cards are considered the alternative to cheques as they have the same result (just a lot faster/cheaper/secure).

To be honest, they are the most backward, insecure, troublesome, expensive things ever. Glad to see the back of them. Just wish the Government wasn't trying to put people off using ATM/Debit/Credit cards with their bullsh!t stamp duty.

Advertisement