Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harney back in charge of Health?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

If Bertie puts Mary Harney back in charge of health he will be dealing a slap in the face to the electorate who clearly rejected PD policies, evident by their liquidation as a party.

Harney herself barely scrapped through on the election.

To put her back in charge of Health, when it was the biggest grievance among voters, and when 98% of the electorate DO NOT support the PDs or their policies, would be an insult to us all.

I can understand why Bertie would do this though, since FF don't actually have a plan to fix the Health system, and would also rather not be holding that particular policital time-bomb when it goes off.

But to fob it off to a party with a miniscule mandate, who the people do not support, when it is the most important issue among voters is just political cowardace and shows weak leadership, not to mention a complete lack of concern for the welfare of the people, including FF's own voters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Health is a poisoned chalice and it may well happen. Of the recent Ministers of Health she has been one of the most effective and has set about facing down one or two of the vested interests in there and deserves respect for that at least. She may also want to go back there. He could also use it to make his own ministers perform better - "Do it right or you're off to Health." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

JerkyBoy wrote:
    To put her back in charge of Health, when it was the biggest grievance among voters, and when 98% of the electorate DO NOT support the PDs or their policies, would be an insult to us all.

I can understand why Bertie would do this...

I believe she did and will continue to do a good job... this coming from someone who works in the health sector. The health sector is full of red tape and bureaucracy. She's getting rid of a lot of that but it takes time to see results from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭JerkyBoy

Well I guess one thing to point out is that she is at least attempting to make some changes...whether they work for the better or not, time will tell.

And in fairness to her she is taking all the slack, 70% of which is not due to her.

Michael Martin, and Brian Cowan were in charge of health before her and left her with a complete mess.

They've gotten off scott free on this!
    Pity the opposition didn't take them to task on FF's failure in Health.
    Mary's troubles are their legacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

Insted of saying that Harney was nearly eliminated because of the health portfolio, turn it around and say she survived because of the health portfolio.

Most people want her to continue as Health minister because they know she has the guts to carry thru unpalatable reforms

remember, this is the woman who abolished smoky fuel in Dublin in the face of unbelievable oppositon and lobbying. If you think this was a minor achievement, believe me it wasn't

Insted of saying that Harney was nearly eliminated because of the health portfolio, turn it around and say she survived because of the health portfolio.

Well that really is turning it around...

Look at the figures:
    87.5% of people in her constituency did not give her their 1st preference vote.
    98% of people nationally did not give her party their 1st preference vote.

That is not an endorsement of her as Health Minister and is an overwhelming rejection of her party's policies.

You can spin it anyway you want but the figures are not in her favour.

And I'm saying that's unfortunate, since the Health crisis was mismanaged by Cowan and Martin of FF, long before Mary attempted to fix it.
    They got away scott-free and Mary took the hit. Even though she did try to do some good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JerkyBoy wrote:
    Look at the figures:
    87.5% of people in her constituency did not give her their 1st preference vote.

12.5% did, which was the second highest % of the 1st preference vote for her constituency. Also, just because 87.5% of people didn't vote her No. 1, does not mean that 87.5% of people didn't support her. That figure doesn't include transfers.
    JerkyBoy wrote:
    98% of people nationally did not give her party their 1st preference vote.

A vote against her party, not against her. The fact that she was re-elected despite being a member of a hugely unpopular party in a country that tends to vote according to party politics, says a lot about what people feel about her personally.
    JerkyBoy wrote:
    You can spin it anyway you want but the figures are not in her favour.

:rolleyes: You're the one putting the spin on the figures I'm afraid. I notice the FG candidate in that constituency wasn't elected at all. Whatever about your skewed and biased view of things, the actual figures have selected Harney as a public representative chosen by the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Spin these figures!! http://www.electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=85

look at the first preferences for brady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Some good my fcuking hole!!!!

Making it over an hours drive for a substantial amt of the population to get to A&E is NOT progress!!! Especially as we've had a very good service right on our doorstep for years!

She's a fcuking muppet, who as usual only cares about large numbers in Dublin, & the rest of us in rural areas are just forgotten.

Numerous people have died, it was proved they would've survived if the local A&E were allowed to admit them.
    They weren't & the people didn't make it, dying on route on the hr long journey to the nearest hospital.

It's a bloody joke & if Bertie does keep her as minister after the population suggesting we want someone different, then it is a BIG insult!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Well, in fairness, that's simply the nature of our system. Any small party that forms part of a coalition is going to gain a disproportionate influence on the government. It could just as easily be the Green Party being given the environment minstry or education or something, even though you could say that their party platform has a similarly insignificant mandate. That's the drawback of a PR system. But, the fact is, that whatever combination of parties ends up in government, they will together have a democratic, majority mandate.

Admittedly, giving health to a party with only two seats is quite an extreme example of this, but don't paint it to be the scandal it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

She'll be health minister no doubt, sure who else would want to deal with that pile of crap? No of bertie's boys will touch it with a barge pole...

• Advertisement

I'm seeing the word insulted a fair bit..
    I'd rather insult people and have a good minister than a crap one just to make people happy
    Bear in mind most people don't have knowledge of the inner workings of the health system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

miles teg wrote:
    I'm seeing the word insulted a fair bit..
    I'd rather insult people and have a good minister than a crap one just to make people happy
    Bear in mind most people don't have knowledge of the inner workings of the health system.

Judging by the mess it's in I would add Harney to that statement!

This smacks of the old antichrist who finally kicks the bucket and all the one's who hated his guts have to say is "He wasn't really a bad chap" just because he is dead.

Keyzer wrote:
    No of bertie's boys will touch it with a barge pole...

That's true...they have no plan for it so maybe Mary is the right person.
    I would have prefered to see FG\LAB take a stab at it but I guess Mary could be best of a bad bunch.

She inherited the disaster that was left to her by the previous FF Health ministers, Brian Cowan and Michael Martin.

Unfortunately the electorate rewarded them and punished Mary, when she was trying to fix what FF had broken.

She has FG\LAB to blame for that, as they never pointed out FF failures in Health and focused on PDs.
    Not really fair when u think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

What the hell did that thing do for the health services. In my opinion and i'd say most of the country's the service has actually got worse. ALL that cow wants is privatise this, privatise that. she doesn't give one damn about any of the electorate out there. unfortunately any visits she does make to big wigs kiss her big fat ass whenever she appears. she must be really thick to see that her party got a right kicking

Heinrich wrote:
    Judging by the mess it's in I would add Harney to that statement!

This smacks of the old antichrist who finally kicks the bucket and all the one's who hated his guts have to say is "He wasn't really a bad chap" just because he is dead.

Not sure if I understand you but ar eyou saying harney doesn't have a knowledge of the health system? If so, I'd ask what you know about it. I also believe myself to be more objective on the issue given i come from the health sector

miles teg wrote:
    Not sure if I understand you but ar eyou saying harney doesn't have a knowledge of the health system? If so, I'd ask what you know about it. I also believe myself to be more objective on the issue given i come from the health sector

Before we enter into any discourse, what do you do in the Health Sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

I really hope she stays in charge of health. She's the only minister with a pair of balls in that place.
    And just to remind people - the health system was far from ideal before she became minister, not since. I don't believe there is any politician who could make it all perfect in a few years - overcoming the unions alone takes a huge amount of time, and that's before you try to even implement more 'radical' things.

Heinrich wrote:
    Before we enter into any discourse, what do you do in the Health Sector?

You'de make a good politician... answering a question with the same one reworded

miles teg wrote:
    You'de make a good politician... answering a question with the same one reworded

I'm flattered. Would I be Fianna Fail Fodder? :D

Now to get back on topic; we have a poster saying he/she is in the health sector. Now that could be a brain surgeon, nurse, recptionist in the dentist's, pharmacien, cleaner in a hospital, who knows. This does not necessarily mean that the person is knowledable on the issue.

The topic is why Bertie would put Mary Harney back in health
    I think whatever one's job might be in the health sector, they would as a result have a knowledge of that sector... I won't be giving out specific personal details about myself though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 The White Rose

What the hell did that thing do for the health services. In my opinion and i'd say most of the country's the service has actually got worse. ALL that cow wants is privatise this, privatise that. she doesn't give one damn about any of the electorate out there. unfortunately any visits she does make to big wigs kiss her big fat ass whenever she appears. she must be really thick to see that her party got a right kicking

Once you resort to words like 'thing' and 'cow' to describe a female you've lost the argument

ALL that cow wants is privatise this, privatise that. she doesn't give one damn about any of the electorate out there. unfortunately any visits she does make to big wigs kiss her big fat ass whenever she appears. she must be really thick to see that her party got a right kicking

Hmmmmmmm. It seems to me that you would be happier with an attractive minister than a good one. Or could you criticise her on her record rather than her demeanour?

As I would rather a FF/Green Coalition, I hope she rejoins FF and gets her portfolio.

miles teg wrote:
    The topic is why Bertie would put Mary Harney back in health
    I think whatever one's job might be in the health sector, they would as a result have a knowledge of that sector... I won't be giving out specific personal details about myself though
    Then don't qualify what you want to say with "I'm in the Health Sector".

Now back to Mary:

Bupa was a mess
    A&E is a mess
    The Mater project will be a mess
    Cancer screening is a mess
    Cystic Fibrosis is not even on the radar
    Nursing Homes anyone?
    Any progress on Leas Cross?

Harney's standard answer to queries is a referral to the HSE and theHSE's answer is the standard NOT COMMENTING ON INDIVIDUAL CASES. Buck passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

It's funny how two of the toughest ministeries were run by PD TD's ie Health and justice. FF set them up as scapegoats to hide their own incompetence. I hope Harney goes back to Health she has the balls to take on the consultants

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

endplate wrote:
    It's funny how two of the toughest ministeries were run by PD TD's ie Health and justice. FF set them up as scapegoats to hide their own incompetence. I hope Harney goes back to Health she has the balls to take on the consultants

And let's not forget poor old Tom Parlon with the decentralisation nightmare ...

Heinrich wrote:
    Then don't qualify what you want to say with "I'm in the Health Sector".

Now back to Mary:

Bupa was a mess
    A&E is a mess
    The Mater project will be a mess
    Cancer screening is a mess
    Cystic Fibrosis is not even on the radar
    Nursing Homes anyone?
    Any progress on Leas Cross?

Harney's standard answer to queries is a referral to the HSE and theHSE's answer is the standard NOT COMMENTING ON INDIVIDUAL CASES. Buck passing.

I'm not trying to get into a grudge match with you but my statement said whatever one's role in the health sector is, they would have knowledge of that sector and on that basis I'm qualified to post an objective opinion.

From your listing of cancer screening as a bad thing, it's apparant you're talking through your ... sorry, not trying to make it personnal.
    Breastcheck is the world's most advanced screening program in terms of the technology used in scanning. It's success rate could only be described as groundbreaking:
    www.sectra.se/global/news/press_releases/medical/2007-2008/2007-05-07.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Hmmmmmmm. It seems to me that you would be happier with an attractive minister than a good one. Or could you criticise her on her record rather than her demeanour?

As I would rather a FF/Green Coalition, I hope she rejoins FF and gets her portfolio.

Conor being an insider, what are the chances she will rejoin FF?
    Would local cumman accept the PDs or are there too many local rivalries or too much bad blood?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote:
    Conor being an insider

You overestimate my importance!

Membership of the party is open to anyone. Would have thought Harney would be welcomed back with open arms. On the other hand, if someone like Parlon were to join and it was perceived that he was doing so solely to revive his career, think local cumainn and in particular those individuals with their own ambitions would fight it tooth and nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

as was said on The Week in Politics last night; she now knows the problems that need attention and what difficulties can arise. it would take another 2 years for any new minister to reach the level she is currently at. it's a good decision for her to stay on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

miles teg wrote:
    Breastcheck is the world's most advanced screening program in terms of the technology used in scanning. It's success rate could only be described as groundbreaking:
    www.sectra.se/global/news/press_releases/medical/2007-2008/2007-05-07.html

Yes, & depending on your postcode, you either get it, or you don't!!
    Yes, a very fair system, as usual. :rolleyes:

& she's closing hospitals all around the country, making them little more than a GP's surgery, yet people are lying for days on hospital trollies in corridors, waiting years for critical operations, & then when their day arrives the op is cancelled due to no beds. Yet, there are lots of free beds & very competent staff in all the hospitals she's closed.

It's a bloody joke!!!
    Unless you've money to go private in this country you won't stand a chance!!!

What about the piece of equipment (can't remem exactly what it was) that was privately donated to the Sligo regional hospital.
    She took it & put it into a private Dublin hospital.
    So again, her policies are:- if you're a culchie you can fcuk off!

Advertisement