Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harney back in charge of Health?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

A vote for FF is a vote for PDs, a vote for the status quo. If Ireland's suicide electorate want such a system, give them what they deserve, Bertie.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

endplate wrote:
    It's funny how two of the toughest ministeries were run by PD TD's ie Health and justice. FF set them up as scapegoats to hide their own incompetence. I hope Harney goes back to Health she has the balls to take on the consultants

FF conspiracy theories! They both wanted those departments.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

H&#250 wrote: »
    A vote for FF is a vote for PDs, a vote for the status quo. If Ireland's suicide electorate want such a system, give them what they deserve, Bertie.

Actually the alliance for change had the same old, same old policies on hospital beds. 2,300 by just throwing money at the same system that has gobbled it with vested interests. Kenny just couldn't back it up in the debate. People I think realise the system needs reform not more of the same.

FF & the PD's offered a change to the system with public/private partnerships. Harney and FF defended this system very well (which says a lot about FG/Lab policies/politicians) The electorate could see that the easiest way of getting 1,000 extra beds is to take private beds out of the public system and put them in private hospitals where they should be. Alot of people would have more faith in the private sector delivering 1,000 beds alot quicker than the current system.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well as someone who works for the health service, a lot of people want her back in charge (not saying they support the PD's) but those of us who work in the HSE will notice the changes that are being made. There have been more changes since Harney became Minister, than in the previous 10 years. The only people who dont like Harney in the HSE are the unions, as the'r stranglehold on change is being undermined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

The main difference with Mary Harney is that she actually wanted the Health portfolio. Delivering a fair and effecient health service is a huge task. I believe that given the chance Mary Harney will do it. Personally, I hope she takes the job. I want to see her implement her 'Fair Deal Scheme for Nursing Homes'. My Mum lives in a Nursing home and it's costing her €840 per week. Under Mary's new scheme , my Mother will pay €200 per week. The State will pay the balance and then take 15% of her estate when she dies. This scheme would take huge financial pressure off my Mother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

well i certainly wouldn't be a PD voter, and although I disagree with parts of Mary's health strategy, especially the co-location scheme, she has done quite a bit of good and does have a genuine interest in whats she's doing within the health service. sure there are problems, A&E etc but she's dealing with a huge system wide failure, its never going to fixed overnight.

i didn't vote FF either, but if she and the PD's went their separate ways and she rejoined FF i think people might be more receptive to her coming back.

Advertisement