Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gmail App

• 28-05-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is it possible to get the Gamil web app working on a pay as you go vodafone mobile?

I have a Nokia 6234 and can see my gmail when I point my brouser at it but when I try and use the web app i get an error message saying I need a data connection.

I hope someone can help?

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

go to your gmail account on your pc and click on settings, then set "Gmail display language" to English US. Assuming you have no internet access issues with Vodafone, this should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

hi,

thanks forthe tip but it made no difference.

the error msg reads

"this program requires a data connection. contacr your carrier etc for more info"

I can access the web using the oopera mini browser so i have some data connection

Thanks again

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

joe_dunne wrote:
    Hi all,

Is it possible to get the Gamil web app working on a pay as you go vodafone mobile?

I have a Nokia 6234 and can see my gmail when I point my brouser at it but when I try and use the web app i get an error message saying I need a data connection.

I hope someone can help?

Joe

Yes, it's possible! I have it on voda payg and it works with a different nokia model to yours. I downloaded the gmail app by surfing to the gmail link on my phone and downloading straight to my phone. I have no idea why your's doesn't work, though. Funnily enough, I tried it just now and it cut me off after a minute saying something like 'packet data connection closed by network' or similar. I just clicked on a msg and it reconnected and opened up the message. Maybe try voda or nokia for help? I find it expensive with voda's data rates (2c per KB) and don't really use it often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Have you tried browsing to http://m.gmail.com (a very very cutdown HTML version of Gmail) ??

Hi all,

My apologies to ablelocks it does work.
    Turns out i needed to put credit on the fone!

Who knew!!

Thanks for all the help

Joe

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

joe_dunne wrote:
    Turns out i needed to put credit on the fone!

Joe

I hate when that happens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just tried the google mail app and it says the same about needing a data connection. I'm on 3 with a k800i and I have loads of credit.

Hi all,

I put a tenner on the fone at lunchtime and played with sending to and from the app.

I sent and opened a few pics and a doc file and poof all me credit is gone!!

Vodafone really need to sort out their data charges id programs like there are ever to progress past the cool novelty stage and become daily used resources

I couldn't find how to save an attachment onto the fone from the app tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

joe_dunne wrote:
    Hi all,

I put a tenner on the fone at lunchtime and played with sending to and from the app.

I sent and opened a few pics and a doc file and poof all me credit is gone!!

Vodafone really need to sort out their data charges id programs like there are ever to progress past the cool novelty stage and become daily used resources

I couldn't find how to save an attachment onto the fone from the app tho.

Vodafone and the others need to give us a decently-priced broadband data add-on option like 3's for payg customers. I know for a fact I'd spend more on my mobile each month if there was a decent data rate!

No idea about attachments. It's too expensive to mess around with and find these things out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Just tried the google mail app and it says the same about needing a data connection. I'm on 3 with a k800i and I have loads of credit.

There's your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

testicle wrote:
    There's your problem.
    yup. no third party apps work on 3pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

joe_dunne wrote:
    Hi all,

I hope someone can help?

Joe

Menu > Settings > Configuration and delete all the existing settings
    Go here and get new settings sent to your phone and when they arrive activate and set as default
    Menu > Settings > Configuration and scroll to preferred access point and press select
    Now gmail will work:D

yup. no third party apps work on 3pay

What?!?!? Ah that sucks balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

What?!?!? Ah that sucks balls.
    indeed it does

indeed it does

Guess I'll just have to forward them to my 3mail account. So every third party app is out. Opera mini and the like. Explains why I couldn't get that one working either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I got gmail app running on my O2 6233 so that i can read mails.
    I tried today to compose one but when I went to type in an address it tried to access contacts and crashed saying it had a runtime error

Does anyone know how to cure this?

Advertisement