Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Justice Minster?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

After the sensational defeat of Michael McDowell Who will fill the position of Justice Minister?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Suff wrote:
    After the sensational defeat of Michael McDowell Who will fill the position of Justice Minister?
    Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

O'Dea

Suff wrote:
    Why?

Agressive u-turning waffler? Might fit the bill (;) pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Couldn't happen, but I'd like to see Tony Gregory given a shot. He knows a hell a lot about some of the issues involved and always comes up with ideas that can help (and is usually ignored) and has an honesty of effort that we badly need to decrease the amount of drug related crime.

But, I reckon it will be Willie "you can't expect us to solve gang crime" O'Dea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Beverley is the obvious choice.

Slow coach wrote:
    Beverley is the obvious choice.

Or the inebriated GP from Donegal. Could be of help to the Guards in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

That way they could run Operation Flynn the Cooper, to catch tax evaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Martin Ferris... what was that film - training day, if you want to protect the sheep, you gotta catch the wolf, if you want to catch the wolf, you got to be the wolf...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

We had one of the top legal brains in the country at it.
    Whoever is next, won't know the law as well as McDowell and won't repeal anything McDowell enacted. I doubt the people who wanted to see the end of McDowell would even notice if his replacement repealed none of McDowell's legislation. I doubt they even care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We had one of the top legal brains in the country at it.
    Whoever is next, won't know the law as well as McDowell and won't repeal anything McDowell enacted. I doubt all the people who wanted to see McDowell will even notice that.
    You hardly think the Minister for Finance sits down with a calculator and works it all out?

All of these people have massive teams of expert advisors doing the legwork for them and giving them advice, even McDowell.

In the unlikely case that McDowell was making decisions off his own bat from his own experience, all the better that he's out now.

Fianna Fail's new campaign to lower crime rates:

odeaat3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Heinrich wrote:
    Roche
    :D

LOL

and Beverly "-€2m" flynn gets finance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

O'Dea has been asking for finance, before defense he was minister for state for justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

cowen will still need a high profile ministry if o'dea or anyone else gets finance. he's already been in foreign affairs and seems happy where he is anyway. anything besides finance (except taoiseach) is a step down for him

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Em, when does he become not Minister for Justice, on the election of the new Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What about John O Donuhue (again)?

seamus wrote:
    In the unlikely case that McDowell was making decisions off his own bat from his own experience, all the better that he's out now.
    And what will your opinion be if the next Minister repeals none of the legislation McDowell enacted?
    Come on tell us...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And what will your opinion be if the next Minister repeals none of the legislation McDowell enacted?
    Come on tell us...
    I fail to see your point. I didn't say that the legislation McDowell enacted was wrong. Reread my post.

seamus wrote:
    I fail to see your point. I didn't say that the legislation McDowell enacted was wrong. Reread my post.
    Apologies. You said it's better he's out.
    Is this because his legislation was poor, or because you don't like his personality, or some other reason?
    Apologies again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

It may not be a FF minister at all the way things are going. It might end up been Richard Bruton or Jim O'Keafe at the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

jjbrien wrote:
    It may not be a FF minister at all the way things are going. It might end up been Richard Bruton or Jim O'Keafe at the way things are going.
    Lol:D Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Vegeta wrote:
    O'Dea

Apologies in advance, I'm not making fun but I feel I have to say this...
    Does anyone else besides me think that Willie O'Dea look like he's in disguise ?
    other than that I do think he's a brave man to sit down with limerick gangs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Diorraing wrote:
    Lol:D Good one
    Enda Kenny an Labour is the only ones doing negotiations with the Independents . The parlimentary party is currently meeting in Mount St to discuss this. So it could well be Jim O'Keaf in the department of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Apologies. You said it's better he's out.
    Is this because his legislation was poor, or because you don't like his personality, or some other reason?
    Apologies again.

I am an avid hunter and non-competitive target shooter and can tell you straight out that McDowell's legislation in the CJB 2006 for legally held firearms is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cowen will still need a high profile ministry if o'dea or anyone else gets finance. he's already been in foreign affairs and seems happy where he is anyway. anything besides finance (except taoiseach) is a step down for him

Cowen will probably stay where he is especially as numbers do as he tells them. On the vexed question of this thread I can't see anyone that stands out at all. They could look at someone like Brian Lenihan even though Justice is a senior post. He at least seems to get things done. He has far more gravitas than some of the usual suspects and he's also not inclined to make an ass of himself or promise lots of things he can't deliver. IMO one of the legacies of the last administration is piles of legislation but feck all passed.

Vegeta wrote:
    I am an avid hunter and non-competitive target shooter and can tell you straight out that McDowell's legislation in the CJB 2006 for legally held firearms is crap.
    Elaborate, reference precise bill / act and tell us why you think it is cr*p. Any legislation against any gun is good as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Well it seems like most of Limerick already votes for Willie, so that solves that problem. Plus the above poster being placed all over the country will do wonders I think.

I think it'd work. with the top and bottom covered with black, Willie looks even more menacing with that gun. Hell I can just imagine commiting a crime, wandering down a back alley and a limerick accent saying "...do you feel lucky? well, do yeh, Punk?!" and the light glinting off a combed moustache in the darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

jjbrien I rather hope its not Jim O'Keeffe. Alan Shatter would make a much better minister of justice IMO. Anyway who says its gonna happen? Its still very much an outside chance. But anytime I've seen a FFer on public airwaves in the past 2 to 3 days they dont look too happy:D. Endas attitude is working much better than I though it would. Surely if the PDs want to reclaim any last bit of credability they would say no to a deal with FF. Interesting times ahead.

Advertisement