Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Justice Minster?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Howlin would be a good candidate!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is this because his legislation was poor, or because you don't like his personality, or some other reason?
    I said If he was legislating off his own bat (i.e. without consulting others), then it's better that he's out. Apologies if that wasn't clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

E92 wrote:
    jjbrien I rather hope its not Jim O'Keeffe. Alan Shatter would make a much better minister of justice IMO. Anyway who says its gonna happen? Its still very much an outside chance. But anytime I've seen a FFer on public airwaves in the past 2 to 3 days they dont look too happy:D. Endas attitude is working much better than I though it would. Surely if the PDs want to reclaim any last bit of credability they would say no to a deal with FF. Interesting times ahead.
    Jim O'Keeffe is not afraid to speak out against criminals in a better way than Mc Dowell did hes not affraid of taking them head on. I think he would be much better than Shatter. But I do agree very interesting times ahead and would love if we could silence all those people who say why cant Enda admit defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

seamus wrote:
    I said If he was legislating off his own bat (i.e. without consulting others), then it's better that he's out. Apologies if that wasn't clear :)
    Well everything has to go through cabinet / Dail anyway.
    Where Mcdowell stood out was he proposed a lot of legislation, not all of it made it through - Cafe Bar's being a good example.
    Some Ministers don't propose much at all because they are afraid it will not please the masses, McDowell just got on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well we'll have to agree to differ on Jim O'Keffee jjbrien. Personally I find him as dull as the ditch and he should be able to do better than get his facts on crime wrong. I cringed when Enda was forced to admit that they were wrong on the TV debate. I find Alan Shatter to be much more effective when it comes to communicating his message and more agreeable, but thats just me. I still think we're better off out of Government just yet. But with a possible bye election(Beverlys finances and it would be nice to a 4th seat for FG in Mayo, we were so close IIRC), the financial affairs of the Taoiseach under question(again) it is getting more and more tempting. As for the PDs, the rough edges of the party have been smoothened out, the hate figure of the PDs for Fine Gael was surprise surprise Michael Mc Dowell, Mary Harney is much more appealing(so long as she doesnt get health, if the alternative is to have any credability then she has to go from there, but I'd love to put her into transport and privatise CIE and create a bit of havoc for the semi state companies who get away with at best lousy performance and a lot wose at worst), as for Grealish, the old adage "keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" applies for him. In other words a junior ministary of some description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Elaborate, reference precise bill / act and tell us why you think it is cr*p. Any legislation against any gun is good as far as I am concerned.

Highlights your ignorance then doesn't it. Shooting is one of the oldest sports in the modern Olympics and one with the most participants.

The CJB 2006 as mentioned above, see here for relevant acts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054971048

Some quick examples are, ranges now must be authorised but a legal definition of what a range is has not been provided (even though we asked for it)

If you apply for a license and do not hear from the Super Intendant in 3 months you can take it that you have been denied. Considering all of my licenses took well over this, 3 months is a stupid length of time. This is one of the worst and will probably end in a load of district court cases taking Supers to court.

Firearms range inspectors have the power to search anyones house on a whim if they believe them to be operating an illegal range (no proof required on their part, or at least it has not been outlined in the bill/act), even though we don't know what a range is defined to be. Gardai don't even have that type of power

He also asked for the license fees to be increased by 50-70% even though admin costs will reduce by 66% in the next year or so. None of that money is put back into shooting anyway so to inflate it like this is just the final straw.

There are plenty of shooting bodies and individuals who would only be too happy to help with the drafting of better and more practical legislation (and god did we try, Brendan Howlin put some us boardsies questions directly to him and his answers were a joke) but of course McDowell the tool knew it all. :rolleyes: He's an arrogant clown

EDIT: This is just the legislation I have experience with, if this is the standard of serial legislation he was responsible for then good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Vegeta wrote:
    Highlights your ignorance then doesn't it.
    No highlights your peception of my ignorance.
    Shooting is one of the oldest sports in the modern Olympics and one with the most participants.
    So what, Prostitution is the oldest trade in the world. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's right. Bad logic.
    Firearms range inspectors have the power to search anyones house on a whim if they believe them to be operating an illegal range (no proof required on their part, or at least it has not been outlined in the bill/act), even though we don't know what a range is defined to be. Gardai don't even have that type of power
    I like that part.
    There are plenty of shooting bodies and individuals who would only be too happy to help with the drafting of better and more practical legislation (and god did we try, Brendan Howlin put some us boardsies questions directly to him and his answers were a joke) but of course McDowell the tool knew it all. :rolleyes: He's an arrogant clown
    So what's Howlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Dermot Ahern.

Advertisement