Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought an N95. Now what?

• 28-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Hello all.
    Just back from Dubai where I bought an N95.
    Haven't really had a chance to play with it in depth. Just really put in my Meteor sim and transferred my phonebook.
    Is there anything in particular I should/need do before I go any further?
    Are there any software updates that people know about?
    Any maps/gps software that I need to install?
    What about Meteor settings? Automatically come across with the sim, or do I need to ring them about the settings?

Just called into 3 there, and they said they don't support it, and don't know if they ever will.:eek: Any suggestions on what network I can use to get the most out of the phone?

Thanks guys and gals.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Was it much cheaper over there, soarer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

What you need to do first is goto the Nokia website :

1.) www.nokia.ie and download the Newest Version of the PC Suite for the N95

2.) Next use the Nokia Updater within the suite or you maybe prompted to download that, once downloaded, you will need to connect your phone via the cable provided and wait until all the drivers are installed (remember install the PC suite first)

3.) Go into the Nokia Updater (green icon), there it will walk you through detecting your phone, telling you the current firmware and then finally telling you if their is an update or not. Now there can be updates but not on the Irish ir European NSU, so you will need to goto a Nokia service Centre and get the latest firmware if you wish.

4.) Built into the N95 there should be an opearations settings wizard, this will ask you for country, net provider etc and then install the web/gprs and mms settings.

5.) In regards to maps, I think a Nokia Mapping software is used called maps2go, I know zero about this so best look at the site and or ask the guys here, the like of Route 66 V2/3 for S60 Symbian Phones will not work unless you can work around it.

6.) The Three Settings again should be on the Nokia.ie website and goto Support, weither 3 supports certain features is unknown to me at the moment

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'll let you know when the CC bill comes through!:rolleyes:

It was 3000AED, so depending on the currency conversion, it's somewhere between €600 and €750.

Thanks flying.
    Will give that a go.

Right.
    Got all the software installed to the pc, and got the latest version of the software installed to the phone.
    The only problem I have at the minute is Maps.
    I've it installed on the pc, but when I try download to the phone, it says it can't find the device. It mentions on startup that before you can download any maps, you have to have used Maps at least one on the phone.
    Well I've tried that, but there's only so far you can zoom without having a map installed.:(

Anyone have any ideas?
    Or maybe I should be using 3rd party software instead of Nokia own?
    All help greatfully appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I think the phone needs to be turned onto 'Mass storage device' mode when transferring maps. This is done when connecting the phone, a pop-up will be displayed on the phone screen and select mass storage from there. I had this problem when transferring maps at first too and that fixed it.

Cheers Dave!
    Will give it a go at lunchtime.

Any suggestion as to what network I should be on? When I was talking to the customer care guy last night, I asked him about 3G on Meteor, and he said there were no plans in the near future!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

This device is likely to be released on O2

Cool.
    Does O2 currently have 3G content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Soarer wrote:
    Cheers Dave!
    Will give it a go at lunchtime.

Any suggestion as to what network I should be on? When I was talking to the customer care guy last night, I asked him about 3G on Meteor, and he said there were no plans in the near future!:(
    If the near future is before october them that is correct. They have a 3g licence and it has to be ready for october end.
    Forget three it just barely works with the phone. Get the unlimited data package with meteor in the meantime. It's the best value package outside three for phone use. It makes a huge difference to using the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement