Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb modem - return it or keep it?

• 28-05-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

went in to the 3 store today, and despite being assured last week that I had full hsdpa coverage in my area, they now admit it's "patchy coverage with a max of 2.5mbps" and the likelihood that it "will range between 1-1.5mbps". coverage won't be 3.6mbps for at least a year.

Considering there are other broadband options at the 1-2mbps download speed, is the 3 modem package still competitive? Or should I return it and go for an alternative broadband provider?

(and if this should be in the broadband forum, could a mod move it)

3 USB modem - return it or keep it? 2 votes

Return it
    0%
    Keep it
    100%
    Bulmerspaulm17781 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That depends. The speeds you mentioned arent that bad. What are the other options you have? There are some that would be better and some a lot worse

And do you plan to use it on the move with a laptop or always at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

IMHO it is still extremely competitive at 1 Mbps, especially if you consider the benefits of being mobile. Eircom won't give you 1 Mbps DSL for €19.99 a month, and even if they did, it would not be mobile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the modem will be used at home 90% of the time.

(according to getbroadband.ie, the alternatives are chorus broadband, digiweb, imagine, eircom, bt, magnet. I have to say, I haven't done any research on these yet so don't know how they compare...right, I'm off to the broadband forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Apart from its immediate benefits, I believe that, like the PlayStation 3, this modem has a long life in it and will improve over time as upgrades are made to the network. Keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Can the modems be firmware upgraded to support higher speeds? Any indications from three as to what their speed plans are.... I remember hearing talk from o2 of 15 megs a sec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Akula wrote:
    Can the modems be firmware upgraded to support higher speeds? Any indications from three as to what their speed plans are.... I remember hearing talk from o2 of 15 megs a sec?

Yes, it can be. 3 intend to upgrade their Irish network to 7,2.

Akula wrote:

In Austria, 3 have upgraded the modem firmware to support 7.2 Mbps. I do not know if the modem can be upgraded beyond that, but I do know that 14.4 Mbps will be available at some point: probably won't be until next year in Ireland though. Remember these speeds are maximum speeds. Real world speeds will vary widely depending on how many users are on the cell at the time as well as your location and signal strength.

In my opinion, getting a solid 1-1.5 Mbps connection over HSDPA is very good. Please don't go buying these modems and assume you will get 3.6 Mbps all the time, because you will not. You may come close to that at times, but your mileage will vary. If you need guaranteed speed, this service is not for you, and you should get a different connection.

In my opinion, getting a solid 1-1.5 Mbps connection over HSDPA is very good. Please don't go buying these modems and assume you will get 3.6 Mbps all the time, because you will not. You may come close to that at times, but your mileage will vary. If you need guaranteed speed, this service is not for you, and you should get a different connection.

I was only getting around 200-400kbps on the 3 control panel transfer rates last night with hsdpa and a few times it switched back to 3g. The previous night speedtest.net was only getting upto 850kbps or so. I don't need guaranteed speeds, but if I'm not consistently getting over the 1mb speed then is there any point keeping the modem?

ablelocks wrote:
    I was only getting around 200-400kbps on the 3 control panel transfer rates last night with hsdpa and a few times it switched back to 3g. The previous night speedtest.net was only getting upto 850kbps or so. I don't need guaranteed speeds, but if I'm not consistently getting over the 1mb speed then is there any point keeping the modem?

In my opinion, yes. From my house, I only get 200-300 kbps. I will still be keeping it, for 2 reasons: I have a laptop, so I can take it with me, and secondly 3 plan to have full coverage in my area in 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In my opinion, yes. From my house, I only get 200-300 kbps. I will still be keeping it, for 2 reasons: I have a laptop, so I can take it with me, and secondly 3 plan to have full coverage in my area in 3 months.

OT: Where's that review of the 3 modem you have been promising us. :D

• Advertisement

phoned customer support today myself, the guy said that there is "very good" coverage in my area and that I should be getting higher speeds than what I am - upto 3.6mbps.

his advice was to uninstall and re-install the modem.

And if that doesn't work, bring it back and get my money refunded! So much for trying to build a customer base...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

ablelocks wrote:
    phoned customer support today myself, the guy said that there is "very good" coverage in my area

And of course being in India he would know all about your local area, if for example there are many tall buildings or mountains..............or a high amount of users..........

Advertisement