Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tribunal query

• 28-05-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Folks, two questions if you would be so kind;
    1) Is it perjury to lie to a Tribunal?
    2) If a sitting Taoiseach were to do so, could he be charged with perjury? What would be the procedure in such a case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

1. Yes.
    2. Yes. A sitting Taoiseach has no particular immunity from perjury or any other criminal offence.
    2.b Presumably, any concerned citizen could make a complaint to a Garda that the offence of perjury has been committed. The Garda will investigate, forward a file to the DPP's office, etc, etc. Alternatively, I presume the Tribunal could refer transcripts, affadavits etc directly to the DPP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    2. Yes. A sitting Taoiseach has no particular immunity from perjury or any other criminal offence.
    Does Dail privilege cover perjury?

And a reminder to the OP, conveying incorrect information does not constitute perjury - that would require evidence that the defendant was knowingly telling lies - not the same as saying something that is untrue.

As I only know of one Taoiseach, I'm guessing Bertie Ahern is in question. I've seen no evidence to prove that he knowingly told lies to any tribunal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As I only know of one Taoiseach, I'm guessing Bertie Ahern is in question.
    Not in the OP, he's not. Which is why the OP was on mechanism and protocol, not specific events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

cast_iron wrote:

And a reminder to the OP, conveying incorrect information does not constitute perjury - that would require evidence that the defendant was knowingly telling lies - not the same as saying something that is untrue.

As I only know of one Taoiseach, I'm guessing Bertie Ahern is in question. I've seen no evidence to prove that he knowingly told lies to any tribunal.
    does the privilege apply to tribunals?

dcarroll wrote:
    does the privilege apply to tribunals?
    and
    cast_iron wrote:
    No. Dail privilege only covers statements made in the house. That's why TDs are often challenged to "repeat dat outside de house." Which kinda misses the point of having Dail privilege in the first place:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    No. Dail privilege only covers statements made in the house.
    I know that, but surely they are immune from perjury charges when it was said in the house.

cast_iron wrote:
    I know that, but surely they are immune from perjury charges when it was said in the house.
    Perjury only covers statements made under oath (or affirmation) in the course of judicial proceedings. As TD's are neither under oath nor participating in judicial proceedings when in the Dail, I can't see how perjury might arise.

I suppose you could get a scenario where the Oireachtas is exercising its power to impeach a President or a Judge. If it decided to admit evidence under oath from a member and if the proceedings were deemed to be judicial in nature, then, in theory, the offence of perjury could be committed. In those circumstances, the immunity would kick in. But it seems pretty far-fetched and unlikely to arise.

Advertisement