Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temper Temper

• 28-05-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭

went to adare for the final round last week. saw one of the most temperamental things from a pro. <nameless> pulled his drive on the par 5 9th. walked ahead of his caddie in disgust then flung his driver behind him towards the caddie. the expression on the caddies face was priceless..."You f***in' twat!"

jeez you'd think they would appreciate the fact they're playing golf around the world and making a mint. not one of the them smiled once........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I used to be terrible for losing my temper on the course. Club Championship final a few yeasr back i missed the green at a par three, booted the tee mark and hit the club captain on the calf.

I apologised afterwards but i felt pretty bad for a long time about it. Cut all that out now though... i just kick the dog and beat the wife now instead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

foxyboxer wrote:
    went to adare for the final round last week. saw one of the most temperamental things from a pro. <nameless> pulled his drive on the par 5 9th. walked ahead of his caddie in disgust then flung his driver behind him towards the caddie. the expression on the caddies face was priceless..."You f***in' twat!"

jeez you'd think they would appreciate the fact they're playing golf around the world and making a mint. not one of the them smiled once........

You think that was bad? I was at the final round in Carton House 2 years ago. Got a good position right behind the tee box on the 18th. Henrik Stenson (bit of background - it was a miserable day and he was 5 or 6 over for his round) arrived to drive off. He sliced an attempted fade into the deep rough down by the river, grabbed the driver and snapped in clean in 2 off his knee. I was completely shocked, I can't believe how much his temperament has improved in the last couple of years though - it must be Fanny's calming influence.

I know it was the last hole and he gets a new driver on demand from his supplier but he could have handed it to me or someone else rather than break it over his knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

denachoman wrote:
    You think that was bad? I was at the final round in Carton House 2 years ago. Got a good position right behind the tee box on the 18th. Henrik Stenson (bit of background - it was a miserable day and he was 5 or 6 over for his round) arrived to drive off. He sliced an attempted fade into the deep rough down by the river, grapped the driver and snapped in clean in 2 off his knee. I was completely shocked, I can't believe how much his temperament has improved in the last couple of years though - it must be Fanny's calming influence.

I know it was the last hole and he gets a new driver on demand from his supplier but he could have handed it to me or someone else rather than break it over his knee.

In fairness, a good fanny always helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

foxyboxer wrote:
    Go on, who was it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

twas alistair forsyth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

foxyboxer wrote:
    twas alistair forsyth

He looks like a right dour humourless f*cker anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i used to have a seriously bad temper, and still do kinda. But it think people mis interpret it, i dont like fling clubs i jsut kinda bang them off the ground or swear....loudly :P

Its jsut cause im a bit of a perfectionist and hate hitting bad shots and i know i can play great rounds of golf..and i jsut hate playing bad.

All the old fogies always come up to me " its only a game jsut enjoy it" im like how can you enjoy golf when your playing ****, when you lose trophies on the last hole, when you dont get cut cause of one bad shot etc.

just annoying. THough more recently i think ive learned to curve the temperment, whenever i get angry, i jsut light up a ciggy :) before i didnt smoke o nthe course cause juniors werent allowed, now i jsut say **** em im 19 do what i want and im gna smoke god dammit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

years ago I was at the British Masters at Woburn. Paul Azinger was in a bunker and hit a pretty poor shot ( by his standards anyway ).

Next thing he started smashing the club into the side of the bunker , so much so that the edge of the bunker was destroyed.

Not a good example to show people if you ask me.

I was also at a pro-am one time , the pro I was playing with had a poor day and hit a poor drive.. anyway next thing started smashing the driver into the side of the bag , not good again considering it was a corporate day etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Back when I was a wee lad, used to work at the Irish open in Druid's Glen.
    Was working on the scoreboard on the side of the 17th (the Par-3 with the green in the middle of the lake) when Richard Green came through. Obviously he hadn't been having a great day cos when he dunked his ball in the water he fired he club into middle of the lake!! We thought it was hilarious at the time.

Obviously when play was finished we spent about an hour trying to fish it out!

Anyway I find loosing your temper doesn't help at all, I know people say taking out your fustration is good etc. And especially in a matchplay, you can't let your opponent see you getting frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

a couple of weeks ago, we were watching the 'How long will you live' programme on RTE. anyway, the focus was on a mother of about six kids, who needed to relax more, take time out blah blah....it cut to her playing golf (kinsale, i think it was), myself and my dad just looked at each other and burst into laughter..."It's the MOST stressful fekin thing :confused: you CAN DO!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Anyway I find loosing your temper doesn't help at all, I know people say taking out your fustration is good etc. And especially in a matchplay, you can't let your opponent see you getting frustrated.

unless you take out your frustration on your oponent and give him a dead arm.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People have occasionally seen me throw a club far from the green. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Graeme1982 wrote:
    unless you take out your frustration on your oponent and give him a dead arm.:D

Would probably leave him a bit shakey on his next downhill 4 footer alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

i used to have a seriously bad temper, and still do kinda. But it think people mis interpret it, i dont like fling clubs i jsut kinda bang them off the ground or swear....loudly :P

Its jsut cause im a bit of a perfectionist and hate hitting bad shots and i know i can play great rounds of golf..and i jsut hate playing bad.

All the old fogies always come up to me " its only a game jsut enjoy it" im like how can you enjoy golf when your playing ****, when you lose trophies on the last hole, when you dont get cut cause of one bad shot etc.

just annoying. THough more recently i think ive learned to curve the temperment, whenever i get angry, i jsut light up a ciggy :) before i didnt smoke o nthe course cause juniors werent allowed, now i jsut say **** em im 19 do what i want and im gna smoke god dammit :)

I've calmed down quite a bit although have had two incidents in the last two years

threw my 5 iron at my bag, hit the trolley, shaft snaps - 50 quid replacement - learned lesson, dont throw clubs

last month, hit monster drive on par5 18th, was in contention for prize, needed birdie, had 4 iron to green, missed short on the right, kicked caddy car wheel, it snapped right off, rolled across the fairway. I felt a right tit pushing my one wheeler up to the green, anyway got the par, didnt win comp though.have learned lesson

now when i play with my cousin he's 16, I'm 25, he loses it for not getting proper sweet connection, he goes mad, especially when playing with his dad.

We started talking about this, anyway we both agreed that not only does losing the head not help, you look a right fool on the course as well

moral of the story - enjoy golf, bad shots happen, we are not perfect, if we were we'd be competing with Tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Playing Pitch & Putt one day (badly) and on the 17th I was about half way between the tee and the hole (Par 3).
    Tried to chip onto the green and the feckin ball went about 2 feet!
    Swung my Pitching Wedge in temper along with a few expletives and the club just took off towards some rather large trees (the evergreen thick ones that are like xmas trees). It got stuck in the top of them and i've never seen it since.

My temper (and my game) has improved since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ive snapped 2 clubs ever, one was i bladed a short wedge over the green threw club in the air kicked shaft mid flight and it bent :)

Second was my driver, i hit driver off the deck instead of using a 3 wood, and it had taken the odd bashing of the ground from bad drives and the shaft was obviously fragile and snapped during a shot.

Morale of the story

Always pay your golf insurance cause ive had both replaced for free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

If I'm having an especially bad round I tend to hit myself. Like, I missed a simple putt after a long frustrating round and I hit myself really hard on the thigh. Losing your temper is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We had a session at our 19th hole the other week relating our 'red mist' moments. Mine was an old habit, having missed a putt, of scooping the ball up with my putter and whacking it away one-handed. One day, the ball shot off the top of the putter and hit me right between the eyes. No one watching, thank goodness, but it cured me for life! They just didn't know why I had tears in my eyes - it wasn't that important a putt ....

Looking at the OP's point the other way, I once saw a pro, trying to hit a low draw off the tee, smack his ball straight into a litter bin 10 yards off the right corner of the teeing ground. Without expression, he handed his driver to his caddie, and remarked "Fell into that trap. It's placed there to catch the bad drive." A great attitude - all us hackers immediately were on his side.

Advertisement