Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubber Slates

• 28-05-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey,

New to this forum and wanted to ask a question about slates for my house. I saw old posts on this forum about rubber slates from the US and PetetheRoofer bascially said they were rubbish. Does anyone know anything about these as I am thinking of using these, I saw them on a house yesterday and they look really good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

i dont know anything particualarly about rubber slates but at the sei self builders show in galway last weekend i came accross some slates that looked fantastic and were made from recycled car rubber and plastic - they really look nice.
    come with a 50 year guarantee and are suitable for water scavanging.
    1.65 a slate.
    i'll see if i can dig up the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

that was probably Ecoslate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

yeah, i was there in Galway aswell, that's where i saw it, i have got quotes on it and am seriously thinking of doing it, saw a house with it and it looks fantastic, was talking to the owner and he's delighted with it, my only doubts are what i saw on this board by PetetheRoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Considered them too but there were no guarantes about colour runs, fading etc so we steered well away from them. Would highly recommend you call The Blue Bangor Slate Co in Tallaght <snip> and we have a beautiful clay tile roof with lovely ridges and ends (people actually stop on the road to admire it...not joking). They sell all types of slate, not just Blue Bangor as the name might suggest. They were a great help and very cost effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

oh? what did PetetheRoofer say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Noviceman

check out an old thread on this board for what PetetheRoofer said

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51319305#post51319305

Builderwoman, that's interesting what you said about the clay tiles? what part of the country is your house in? Have you pictures? We drove around the countryside lastnight looking at different roofs, this is driving us cracked. We're veering away from the rubber tiles now also, my wife wants the natural slate, but I think that's too expensive, I will give that crowd you suggested a ring

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Noviceman I was like your wife wanted natural slate but it just wasn't in the budget. We're in Kildare. Check out http://www.bluebangor.com and they may have pictures of clay tiles there in their gallery. I don't have pics to hand will have to talk to other half about digging some out.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

Noviceman wrote:
    check out an old thread on this board for what PetetheRoofer said

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51319305#post51319305

Builderwoman, that's interesting what you said about the clay tiles? what part of the country is your house in? Have you pictures? We drove around the countryside lastnight looking at different roofs, this is driving us cracked. We're veering away from the rubber tiles now also, my wife wants the natural slate, but I think that's too expensive, I will give that crowd you suggested a ring
    Rubber slates no thanks, what type of guarantee do you get with them? are they Agrèment certified or covered by a code of practice, if not dont touch them.

Most of the larger slating companys sell Fibre cement slates that look like natural slates but at ¼ the price, Tegral have a slate called "Rivendale" and capo also have one but the name escapes me at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Rubber slates sound like a good way of reclycing old tyres but I would worry about what would happen in a fire especialy in terraced or semi detached housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Slate

The slates shown at the Galway show were Ecostar - this is a primarily a rubber slate. There are 2 other products on the market that are plastic slates - Authentic Roof and AthyECOSlate. Although they are both "plastic", they are made from completely different materials. There is a lot of confusion between the three and all three have different properties regarding fire rating, colour fastness, wind resistance, durability etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I think it is great that you are considering using a waste product.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 binnox

Just want to give my story on looking for slates for a low pitch roof 18 degrees. I ended up with Athyecoslate as it the only one that worked at such a low pitch and did not cost a fortune. I looked at the tegral option but it cost three times as much and could not be worked like a normal slate would be (it will work down to 15 degrees which is lower that athyecoslate).

There are three things that it is important to be aware of..
    - The cost is about 1.60 a slate so not too dear but the headlap is only 7 inches (5 if you down to 18 degree) so you will need more than regular slates.
    - The roofer really liked them as they were easy to work and because they are plastic there were no breakages(if they get dropped when putting on the roof they do not shatter so no waste). He plans on using and recommending them in the future.
    - Most importantly they look really good and looking at them you will not know that they are plastic. They look like a good slate roof but a little blacker.

I did not start looking for a green roofing option I just wanted something that would work with the low pitch and keep me close to budget as I had not accounted for the extra cost of having a low pitch and had only priced normal tiles. The roof is in and so far so good.

Hope this helps,

Binnox
    Cheers,

Binnox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I assume these rubber slates are similar to shingles used in USA for years.
    They are user friendly and can be repaired / replaced using good diy skills.

Rubber or felt might fade slightly but I can't see them losing colour in sunlight. Still they may not have a long life! Asphalt has a lifespan of 15 years.
    (Still never seen white faded car tyres!)

Rule of thumb - materials supposed to last life of building - so thats 50 years in Ireland but may be 30 years in USA. So what works there may not be as good here.

Make sure it has IAG Certificate or budget for replacement in 20-30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

helllo
    i looked into these aswell, look up the conditions of the guarntee on the ecostar website,

it says the slates have to be laid on a material (like bitchumen) thats on plywood, not lats and felt like in ireland,

id be worried they would warp up after a few years, went natural myself int he end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

If you live by the sea I would give rubber slates a miss as the salt air makes rubber brittle, also I have heard of rubber slates curling but the technology may have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

binnox wrote: »
    Just want to give my story on looking for slates for a low pitch roof 18 degrees. I ended up with Athyecoslate as it the only one that worked at such a low pitch and did not cost a fortune. I looked at the tegral option but it cost three times as much and could not be worked like a normal slate would be (it will work down to 15 degrees which is lower that athyecoslate).

There are three things that it is important to be aware of..
    - The cost is about 1.60 a slate so not too dear but the headlap is only 7 inches (5 if you down to 18 degree) so you will need more than regular slates.
    - The roofer really liked them as they were easy to work and because they are plastic there were no breakages(if they get dropped when putting on the roof they do not shatter so no waste). He plans on using and recommending them in the future.
    - Most importantly they look really good and looking at them you will not know that they are plastic. They look like a good slate roof but a little blacker.

I did not start looking for a green roofing option I just wanted something that would work with the low pitch and keep me close to budget as I had not accounted for the extra cost of having a low pitch and had only priced normal tiles. The roof is in and so far so good.

Hope this helps,

Binnox
    Cheers,

Binnox

What sort of a build up did you require under these slates to allow their use at an 18° pitch, would you know the rafter length and the exposure rating of you house ???

Advertisement