Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT problems with Azureus

Options
  • 28-05-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im using Azureus and I always have a yellow icon. This tells me that I have NAT problems.

I have tried the portforwarding but its made no difference.

Anyone out there have this problem ? Im with UTV.

Please help its really bugging me :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Make sure you're using a high port number. Between 30 and 50 thousand should do.

Have you got both TCP and UDP open or just TCP?

If your router has a firewall, lower it's setting or turn it off.

If you have a software firewall, make sure azureus is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Make sure you're using a high port number. Between 30 and 50 thousand should do.

Have you got both TCP and UDP open or just TCP?

If your router has a firewall, lower it's setting or turn it off.

If you have a software firewall, make sure azureus is allowed.

I use port 55000 and set this port exception in my firwall as both TCP & UDP and azureus is allowed.

If I switched off my firewall should this help ?

DO NOT switch off your software firewall. Most router firewalls are fairly useless though so try turning it off.

Still the same problem, stupid yelow face.

Any tips, does anyone else have this issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Advertisement

You'll need to provide some more information.

What Router are you using?

What Anti-Virus and Firewall software are you using?

What operating system are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

check your ip address.

i had this problem a few weeks ago. i have a netgear router. i had configured it to allow Azureus. when i configured it for port-forwarding it asked me for an ip-address AND the port number Azureus was using. it all worked fine until a few weeks when i got the yellow face in Azureus and it telling me i had a NAT problem. i check my ip-address on my PC and it was different to the one i have configured for port-forwarding. it was only different by one digit (the last digit). so i just re-configured my netgear router and i have had no problems with Azureus since then.

hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

Most router firewalls are fairly useless though so try turning it off.

Is this really true? I run openwrt and iptables on my router and I'm very happy with it. Even the Linksys and Netgear routers I've had with stock firmwares have done excellent jobs. Personally I would disagree with the recommendation to turn your router firewall off. I would recommend keeping it running and working through why it's not forwarding the ports correctly. With some routers even after you configure port forwarding you have to lower the router's security level before it will take effect. An example of this is the Netopia 3347NWG from Eircom. For that router you have to set the firewall level to low to allow port forwarding (it refers to a port forward as a pinhole).

Certainly if you configure them they can be fine, but the general high, medium, low and off settings don't do much on most routers.

The one on the Netopia is useless because of the way it forwards ports.

As a suggestion for seeing why the NAT problem was occuring, it would rule out the router firewall if it was off briefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭koloughlin

The one on the Netopia is useless because of the way it forwards ports.

Sorry for hijacking this thread a little, but chopperbyrne can you expand at all on this? My friend has one of these Netopia routers and if it's inherently unsafe I'd like to let him know that. I installed an ssh server on his machine and only forwarded tcp port 22 to the ssh server. Afterwards I checked it at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and it looked good, only port 22 showing open.

Can you explain what you mean, or point me towards any links that show how this Netopia can be penetrated? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

I just meant in the way that you have to lower the firewall level to low just to get port forwarding to work.

Those netopia routers are very good, I just don't like the way they treat port forwarding as pinholes.

The firewall can be configured quite well on them if you're willing to telnet into it, but the GUI options aren't so good.

It is not unsafe however.

Sorry, I should have worded my post a little better earlier.

You'll need to provide some more information.

What Router are you using?

What Anti-Virus and Firewall software are you using?

What operating system are you using?

Hi,

I have a zyxel 600, running winXP and just the windows firewall.

I have port execptions in the firewall and port listed within the router as well.
    The IP address within the router which is associated with the port is the same as the IP I set for the PC.

Advertisement