Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Laser Card gov stamp duty

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭

Got a letter from AIB informing me my ATM will now be replaced by a Laser card. So it arrived during the week, but my question is will I now have to pay €20 gov stamp duty as opposed to €10?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Yup, don't think many people realise this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

center15 wrote:
    Are they allowed to just do this without asking us? I'm tempted to complain (even though I want a Laser card).
    Also now that I'm not going to be using my old ATM card, will I have to pay the €10 gov stamp duty in order to cancel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

fletch wrote:
    Are they allowed to just do this without asking us? I'm tempted to complain (even though I want a Laser card).
    Also now that I'm not going to be using my old ATM card, will I have to pay the €10 gov stamp duty in order to cancel it?

Not too sure what your banking charges are like per year - but AIB were offering free banking if you signed up for a Laser card and online banking... you had to use the Laser card once per quarter and pay a bill online once per quarter to qualify for the transaction free banking...

Overall it saved me money to switch to a Laser card despite the extra stamp duty fee for it...

I'm not 100% sure this offer is still in existence

Irish Wolf wrote:

Not too sure what your banking charges are like per year - but AIB were offering free banking if you signed up for a Laser card and online banking... you had to use the Laser card once per quarter and pay a bill online once per quarter to qualify for the transaction free banking...

Overall it saved me money to switch to a Laser card despite the extra stamp duty fee for it...

I'm not 100% sure this offer is still in existence
    Well I've never paid the bank one cent in charges, (on a student account through college and now on a Graduate account :D).
    I know about the new free banking with AIB but that applies to people using a Laser card and you have to make a transaction using 24-hour banking. This I find very unfair to elderly people who may not be very techy and this extra fee (I know it's only a tenner but still) is being forced upon them

A way to bank free of maintenance and transaction fees
    "To enjoy a way to bank free of maintenance and transaction fees, each fee quarter you need to:

1. Use your AIB Debit Card to make a purchase, and
    2. Make a debit transaction using AIB Phone & Internet Banking e.g. pay a bill or top up your mobile
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It says on the AIB letter that came with the new dual card that you will only be charged €20 if you use the card as a Pass card and Debit Card.

If you never use it as a Debit Card, you will only be charged €10.

Unless I read it incorrectly...

ambrose

• Advertisement

It says on the AIB letter that came with the new dual card that you will only be charged €20 if you use the card as a Pass card and Debit Card.

If you never use it as a Debit Card, you will only be charged €10.

Unless I read it incorrectly...

ambrose
    Oh right must have missed that :) Looks like I'll be paying €20 so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

center15 wrote:

If people read the information correctly, they'll see it's as described above..

Advertisement