Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a bike to commute with

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

I'm looking to get myself a bike which I'll use soley to commute to and from work with. I'm on a very small budget but I don't actually know the prices of bikes myself. I was hoping to spend less than 200 euro (hopefully -150)

I'm sure I won't get a great bike for that but all I will be using it for is going to and from work. I'm living in Dublin at the moment so if anyone could give any ideas/impressions on how to go about it.

I'm happy aslong as it doesn't fall apart really.

Thank's in advance :D

P.S - I have no idea when it comes to bikes :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

how far is your commute?
    What route will you be taking?
    A new bike for less than 200 probably won't last too long unless you take very good care of it.
    If you are planning to commute you may also need lots of other bits and pieces: lock, lights, helmet, rain jacket, spare tubes, pump...
    You won't need all those items, but they can be handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

I travel roughly 2km to work so it would be 4km a day using the bike.
    I understand that I will need a lock/pump/helmet/lights (not exactly sure what spare tubes are used for :P)

I was thinking of maybe getting a second hand bike. The reason really why I don't want to spend to much on it is

1. I'm not rich :P
    2. It will soley be used for getting to and from work absolutely nothing else.

Where I live and where I work is very secure so a top of the line "kill anyone that touches this bike" lock isnt needed, one that works will be fine

I will be travelling through the City Centre southward

probably second hand is indeed the way to go.
    I would avoid anything with suspension. You just don't need it and on cheaper bikes it would cause more problems than it's worth.

The spare tubes are for when you get punctures, which unfortunately are inevitable, but easy to repair :)

I think Little Sport in Fairview do second hand bikes. I don't know your location, so that shop may or may not not be convenient for you.

Yeah I was definitely thinking second hand. Fairview isn't too far away from me so I think I might take a gander in there. You were saying to stay away from Suspension, is there anything I should look out for with cheap second hand bikes?

there are probably more qualified people who can offer better advice, but here is my list...
    Check that...
    • the brakes work
    • the gears work and shift smoothly
    • the chain isn't rusty or stretched
    • the cassette and chain ring teeth aren't worn
    • the brake and gear cables aren't strectched or frayed
    • the frame isn't rusty
    • the saddle isn't torn
    • the wheels are true
    • the tires aren't worn
    • there is no side-to-side play where the bottom bracket and cranks meet
    • that it fits you

• Advertisement

Cheers man, great help :D

I'll take a look during the week to see if I can find something good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Second hand would definitely get you more bike for your buck
    Don't get a suspension bike - you don't need one
    Try to get one with skinny tyres if possible (the knobbly ones slow you down)
    Things like plastic pedals, plastic brake levers etc..are a sign of a cheap bike.
    Check that the back wheel doesn't rock side to side
    When you test ride it, make sure that nothing creaks or makes odd noise
    especially if you press hard on the pedals. If there's any creaking noises, stay away.
    Again when you test ride it, make sure it can get into gear easily.
    Obviously check that the brakes work.
    Give all of the spokes a little shake, they should all be nice and stiff.
    Check the rear derailler (the thing that changes gear at the back of the bike) for scratches. If it looks like it's taken a good whack it's not going to last long.
    Rust will kill a bike. Check the whole bike for it. The only places there should be any should be in the screw heads/allen bolts. If there's a lot of rust the bike hasn't been cared for and water has probably gotten to the bearings.
    See how much thread the tyres have and how worn down the brake pads are.

A 2k cycle shouldn't be too hard on a bike anyway, but ya don't want something that'll fall to pieces.

Take a look in the buyandsell. Loads've second hand bikes in there. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

King Raam got there before me. ah well, pretty much the same advice.:D

Hey guys,

I've searched around a little bit and found these bikes that half interest me (in my price range and they look pretty :P)

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=240&idproduct=8581

and

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=240&idproduct=8628

Like I said in my other posts, I haven't got a clue about bikes so is up to you guys to give me a bit of info/advise if you don't mind :P

Preferably I'd like to get a new bike even if it is cheap, just because its new and shiny, but if you think they are crap let me know lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

For 2k the Planet Shadow should be grand. I do a similar distance each day on one with no real problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

If you're getting a cheap new bike, I'd suggest you pick up some puncture-resistant tyres. Punctures are a pain in the ass, €30 spent on tyres will save you time at some point trying to fix your bike by the side of the road, inevitably in the rain, and reduce your bike's rolling resistance, making it much nicer to cycle. I suggest you pick up some Armadillos or similar tyres and ensure that they're pumped to the recommended pressure (you can do this in a petrol station that has air).

A second hand bike is more likely to already come with decent tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

Preferably I'd like to get a new bike even if it is cheap, just because its new and shiny, but if you think they are crap let me know lol.

It's crap - you'll get exactly what you pay for and within a short time everything. including the gears will need adjustment - and you'll wish you didn't have twist gear shifters... and you'll probably have to fix a few punctures...

If you buy it, at the very least take C_T's advice and replace the tyres with puncture resistant tyres like these...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=26416

Don't buy off the off-road version if you're commuting on roads!

Thanks for all the replies guys, really helpful, I've decided against getting one of those bikes, I'm going to go with a second hand one. I've had a few people telling me that there is a good bike shop up on dorset street which is pretty cheap and they guy that runs the place is good too, anyone got any feedback on that shop? I don't know what it's called.

EDIT:
    The name of the place on Dorset St. is McCormacks Cycle Centre

Advertisement