Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a PHP course in Dublin

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Hi
    A friend of mine wants to develop a site and wants to do it himself.
    He has some exposure to HTML and used to do cobol in College,
    He did his final project in it so he's competent just out of practice at the moment.

I have suggested PHP to him as it should be easy enough to pickup and is easily integratible with his knowledge of HTML and programming structures.
    Along with that he will be working with forum and blog software written on PHP.

Anywho....
    Do you know of any good PHP courses that he can sign up for.
    He wants tutored course rather than a book / online.

Let me know, if you have approx costs that would be great too.

p.s. I could google it but I'm mainly looking for a Recommendation / Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mr.Orange

I wouldn't recommend spending on a course for PHP.
    EVERYTHING you will ever need to know is on the web and in books.
    I learned the basics of PHP and database (about 2 years ago) in about a week with a book and tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You could try http://www.lynda.com/ too.
    As said above, not really worth paying big money on a course for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I second what Mr Orange says. I know perl and found moving to PHP quite easy. I got a start with PHP for the WWW, which I borrowed from Ballyfermot library (no longer in the DCC catalogue). You could give PHP 5, fast and easy web development a look.

I recommend that your friend installs some blog and forum software and goes about customizing it. The online docs are quite good, with additional help and examples in the comments of many of the function pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Right, looks like books it is....
    Thanks fo the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

One thing I did find was that using Dreamweaver really gave me an understanding of php, their naming convention is bisarre but once you get your head around this you'll be programming (or is it scripting?) in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

GaryCocs wrote:
    .... you'll be programming (or is it scripting?) ...

As an interpreted programming language it's both.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

egan007 wrote:
    He wants tutored course rather than a book / online.
    I would also highly recommend reading a book and self-learning. Is there a reason he wants to take a class rather than read a book?

Advertisement